Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R2400  (Read 6292 times)

jgille

• http://www.juliengille.com
Epson R2400
« on: August 23, 2006, 03:06:39 pm »

Hello,

I would like to start to sell 'Fine Art' print of my pictures.
As I would like to start "small", I am looking at the Epson R2400 with A3+ paper. I am intending to use the Epson Velvet Fine Art paper.

I am not yet ready to buy a 4800 or bigger printer due to the cost difference.

Do you think that I could sell 'Fine Art' print on A3+ paper or is it too small?

Thanks

DarkPenguin

Epson R2400
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 03:13:59 pm »

My MR print is my biggest print purchase to date at 13x19.  Everything else I've ever purchased has been smaller than that.

I've spent a small bundle on these things.  (Although the MR print was purchased through some magazine so it was probably the best deal of the bunch.)

So, I'd say that the 2400 is unlikely to be a problem.

gadget

Epson R2400
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 03:14:54 pm »

It may depend upon the subject matter, but having the price reflect the size would be a start.

Hello,

As I would like to start "small", I am looking at the Epson R2400 with A3+ paper. I am intending to use the Epson Velvet Fine Art paper.

Do you think that I could sell 'Fine Art' print on A3+ paper or is it too small?

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jgille

• http://www.juliengille.com
Epson R2400
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 03:52:02 pm »

It may depend upon the subject matter, but having the price reflect the size would be a start.

Excellent point about the price.

What is the "average" price for an A3+ fine art print ?

francois

Epson R2400
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 04:56:38 am »

Excellent point about the price.

What is the "average" price for an A3+ fine art print ?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You should Alain Briot's perspective on pricing [a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11653&view=findpost&p=71976]here[/url]. FWIW, the whole thread is interesting and it might help answer some of your questions.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 04:57:18 am by francois »
Francois

st326

Epson R2400
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 08:35:02 pm »

Hello,

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think the size issue is very significant. I've seen a few Ansel Adams prints that are no larger than the largest print size of the R2400, and they don't look too small.

My main reason for posting is that I've had an R2400 for about 3 weeks now, and I'm blown away by it -- it took a bit of effort to get everything configured correctly with respect to colour profiles (which turned out to be *essential* even for B&W, or my prints ended up looking horribly overdeveloped). Looking at the output with a x10 measuring loupe, it resolves features down to about 0.1mm, and it is impossible to see any dithering with the naked eye (it's *just* noticeable with the loupe). In more arty terms, it is quite capable of B&W prints every bit as good as I ever managed in my old wet darkroom, way back when, actually rather better then most if anything. I'd probably be willing to admit that several of the best prints I've ever made have been in the last few days.

I should say that I do nearly all B&W. I'm not even slightly colourblind, but I my artistic vision seems to be almost entirely monochrome. I felt I was taking a bit of a gamble with the Epson, because I've seen digitally printed B&W by friends that has left a lot to be desired, but I need not have worried. As with a wet darkrooom, it only works when you get everything right, but the results are better than I could have reasonably hoped for.

So far I've mostly been printing B&W conversions (or true infrared) from my very recently acquired Cambo 4x5/Betterlight system. The R2400 seems very well matched -- at 10x8 or a bit bigger, the resolution is very much printer limited (but at a level finer than my eyesight, so that's no big issue). Actually, I'd probably need the big floor standing printer to get to a point where it wasn't -- I've made a number of 17"x11" prints from crops of small areas (maybe 1/4 frame down to about 1/20th frame) and still ended up with perfectly usable results.

Which is all a roundabout way of saying that, yes, I'd expect that an R2400, given suitable images, would quite definitely be capable of fine art prints.
Pages: [1]   Go Up