Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moab Entrada Rag Textured 300  (Read 4653 times)

pearlstreet

Moab Entrada Rag Textured 300
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:07:25 am »

I got a couple of sheets of Moab Entrada Rag Textured 300 as samples to try. I really like this paper. The first print I made, I adjusted the blacks too much. The dmax on this paper seems great. It prints like a baryta paper. The second print was really beautiful (if I do say so myself). I would reduce the contrast a little reprinting it. It does have a texture but not a dominating one. It is a thick paper with that cottony rag feel that I like

I would recommend this paper to anyone looking for a nice matte paper.

iPhone shot taken last night under room lighting so don't judge warmth by this.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Moab Entrada Rag Textured 300
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 11:38:02 am »

How textured is it?  I'm currently profiling Moab Entrada Natural and Moab Somerset Rag (only one more set of patches to read!!!! ;D) based on comments from other LuLa members.  I'm always looking for a good textured paper for certain applications and currently use Hahnemuhle William Turner for this purpose.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:44:44 am »

It is nice paper and being featured in my forthcoming next set of paper reviews, which I expect to have completed and published in the coming weeks.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

texshooter

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 12:08:13 pm »

Why doesn't Moab offer Entrada Rag Bright Textured?  Why do all the textured matte papers have to be warm? My biggest frustration with the inkjet paper industry. Is it not possible to apply optical brighteners to textured paper?

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 12:13:16 pm »

It is nice paper and being featured in my forthcoming next set of paper reviews, which I expect to have completed and published in the coming weeks.
Hurry Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

pearlstreet

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 12:17:44 pm »

Alan there is a texture but it is subtle (to me). Moab will send you fred samples to try. Not sure you can tell from this photo. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 12:20:34 pm »

Why doesn't Moab offer Entrada Rag Bright Textured?  Why do all the textured matte papers have to be warm? My biggest frustration with the inkjet paper industry. Is it not possible to apply optical brighteners to textured paper?

I believe this practice is based on a market analysis that a high percentage of the market for these papers also has a strong interest in archival properties and OBAs impair that.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 12:23:56 pm »

Hurry Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

:-)

Thanks for the interest Alan, but this is supposed to be fun, not stress; so it will be ready when it's ready. The amount of work involved in this is a big deal, and there is a fresh element coming in this round that is "maturing". Stay tuned.

pearlstreet

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 12:27:53 pm »

How textured is it?  I'm currently profiling Moab Entrada Natural and Moab Somerset Rag (only one more set of patches to read!!!! ;D) based on comments from other LuLa members.  I'm always looking for a good textured paper for certain applications and currently use Hahnemuhle William Turner for this purpose.

Alan, I dug up a sample of the William Turner. The Moab paper is smoother to the touch and much less warm than that paper. I found the warmth and texture to both be fairly subtle in this paper.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 12:48:18 pm »

Alan, I dug up a sample of the William Turner. The Moab paper is smoother to the touch and much less warm than that paper. I found the warmth and texture to both be fairly subtle in this paper.
Thanks Sharon.  I'll send away for some sample sheets to check it out while I'm patiently waiting for Mark's review.  I'm liking the surface of the two Moab papers that I'm working with right now.  The Somerset Museum Rag has trace amounts of OBA but looking at Ernst Dinkla's data, it seems to be in the paper base.

pearlstreet

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 01:03:41 pm »

Another thing I forgot to mention was that the moab icc profile for the epson sc p800 seemed good. I haven't tried this paper on color so not totally sure.

rasworth

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 02:01:15 pm »

I downloaded their profile for the Epson 3880, had good results with a test print.  Most importantly softproofing in PS and LR gave a good match to my normal print examination lighting.  I also examined their profile with Chromix ColorThink, all the right pieces are there, even the target measurement CGATS file is included (1877 patches). 

The profile specified a black point of 17,1,2 and white 98,0,2.  All in all, a very pleasing matte paper.

Richard Southworth

pearlstreet

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 02:19:57 pm »

That's good to know, Richard. I had the same experience with the soft-proof matching the print.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 04:56:56 pm »

I got the two sheets to try out and it's a nice paper.  I was hoping for a little more texture as I noted I really like Hahnemuhle William Turner which has the kind of texture I like.  I'm waiting for the test prints to dry down so I can compare them to images on some of the other papers.  I'll probably get a box to do some further exploration.  I'm becoming a big fan of Moab papers these days.

Borealis

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 05:36:27 pm »

I know this is an old topic but I could not find any recent reviews....

For a few years I use Moab papers and some work well with my kind of photo-style/printing... the other day I tried the textured entrada 300 on my epson 3880 with moab's profile and recommended settings.... and was astounded to find a nice high dMax print I could not produce or come close with entrada rag natural or canson's photograhique 310... I tried the two sheets that came in the sample pack I had hidden behind a stack of papers.... I also tried some custom profiles I did with the colormunki on my existing papers.... I'm not sure if it's just a profiling issue or what's going on.... for sure I'll have to invest in better profiling hardware and technique one day but I was wondering if the textured entrada paper stands apart from the natural entrada other than the subtle texture (which I actually quite like as well)?

William

texshooter

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 06:36:13 pm »

I was wondering if the textured entrada paper stands apart from the natural entrada other than the subtle texture (which I actually quite like as well)?

I suspect that is the case.  I have not sampled the Textured yet, but after sampling 80+ papers, I would not trust any manufacturer's ICC profile. It's hit and miss.

The specs show that the Textured version has a whiter base. So they can't be the same.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 07:43:36 am »

The specs show that the Textured version has a whiter base. So they can't be the same.
I don't think so.  The numbers reported are from two different test protocols and cannot be directly compared.  I will have to go back and look at my data but I believe the white points are the same for each paper.

Borealis

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 01:38:45 pm »

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to buy some more textured entrada just because the samples turned out great  :)

William
Pages: [1]   Go Up