Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backlit Bird 2  (Read 3739 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Backlit Bird 2
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 04:05:44 pm »

And I also agree that some of human talent is inborn, though signature self obviously isn't restricted to becoming an artist. Having said that, I do believe that recognising that one doesn't have a certain talent is part of appreciating other people's talents or skills (and thereby one's role in life).

I'll buy that 100% too. I taught computer programming for a short period at college level. There always were a few people in the class who were there because they'd heard they could make a lot of money building computer software, but who didn't love the challenge and the beauty of it. They shouldn't have been there because there was no way they ever were going to be good enough at it to make a living in it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

Re: Backlit Bird 2
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 04:37:47 pm »

I'll buy that 100% too. I taught computer programming for a short period at college level. There always were a few people in the class who were there because they'd heard they could make a lot of money building computer software, but who didn't love the challenge and the beauty of it. They shouldn't have been there because there was no way they ever were going to be good enough at it to make a living in it.

That reminds me of the way my wife used to think about maths - her best subject. I simply couldn't get into it at all.

She was also a great chef, and I remember sometimes asking how she knew how to make something, even though I'd watch her working in the kitchen day after day; she'd get a bit cross and say don't be silly - you just do this and that as seems right - I can't possibly tell you anything in terms of spoonfulls, grammes or whatever daft thing you want me to tell you! One just does it!

Yeah, right. Just like photography, then. However, I can only remember my mother showing her how to make gnocchi once, yet she always seemed to know which potatoes would work and which would not. Same with chips (french fries); some spuds work well and give you beautiful dry ones and others just soggy rubbish that goes dark. To me, they all look much the same and I never try to make anything other than boiled ones... well, the supermarkets sometimes sell some that look dirty (very good) and others that look washed and pale, and always seem wet when you boil them and try to use them a day or so later on in an omelette, for example.

No wonder I eat out most days.

Rob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up