Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon PRO-4000 with Canson Rag Photographique  (Read 1547 times)

lauripie

Canon PRO-4000 with Canson Rag Photographique
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:51:08 am »

I had previously printed a portrait with a pitch black background using an Epson P800 and Canson Rag. Yesterday I printed the same picture with the same paper using the Canon PRO-4000. There was a surprisingly large difference in the deepness of the black with the P800 being noticeably blacker. I did some soft proofing with Lightroom using the profiles for the printers and the difference was also well visible there.

Is this a problem of Canon's new inks being less suitable for this specific paper?  Or is it a problem of a less than optimal icc profile for the Canon PRO-4000 (downloaded from Canson)?

I would like to soft proof (with Lightroom) Canon's new Premium Fine Art Smooth paper but can't find a downloadable icc-profile.

Another question:   I was not able to select "Cut Sheet" as the paper source in the print dialog, even after loading the A4 sheet into the PRO-4000.  What could be the reason?

Thanks,
Lauri Pietarinen

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Canon PRO-4000 with Canson Rag Photographique
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 05:10:09 am »

I had previously printed a portrait with a pitch black background using an Epson P800 and Canson Rag. Yesterday I printed the same picture with the same paper using the Canon PRO-4000. There was a surprisingly large difference in the deepness of the black with the P800 being noticeably blacker. I did some soft proofing with Lightroom using the profiles for the printers and the difference was also well visible there.

Is this a problem of Canon's new inks being less suitable for this specific paper?  Or is it a problem of a less than optimal icc profile for the Canon PRO-4000 (downloaded from Canson)?

I would like to soft proof (with Lightroom) Canon's new Premium Fine Art Smooth paper but can't find a downloadable icc-profile.

Another question:   I was not able to select "Cut Sheet" as the paper source in the print dialog, even after loading the A4 sheet into the PRO-4000.  What could be the reason?

Thanks,
Lauri Pietarinen

To see if it's a profile problem make a test print with printer's BW mode and compare it with the rgb print.

lauripie

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 12:41:16 am »

How does one do that?

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 04:15:42 am »

How does one do that?
There are two ways to do it (this is for windows).

1. Print using Canon's Print Studio Pro plugin by selecting

Print Settings tab --> Color Management --> Color mode --> Black and White photo and
Correction tab --> Strength --> Standard

Detailed information here:
http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrintStudioPro/W/2.1/EN/PSP/psp-201.html

2. Disable color management in the application you are using (In Lightroom's print module you do this by selecting  "Managed by Printer" in Color Management --> Profile) and
In the printer driver you set Main --> Advanced settings --> Color mode --> Monochrome (photo)

Detailed information here:
http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/PRO-4000/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_monochrome.html

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:50:21 am by Panagiotis »
Pages: [1]   Go Up