Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why EPSON is stuck with ink switching and inferior tech in their printers  (Read 8531 times)

unesco

I've seen a lot of that stuff too, but I'm not convinced how accurate it is. I don't think in this day and age a company can get away with that kind of deception after all these years. The fact that some ink remains in the cartridge after it is declared "empty" is done on purpose to protect the lines and the print head from filling with air bubbles. The advice I've received is that the amount designated on the cartridge is the usable amount without taking this left-over into account. This of course is an old issue, so I may not be remembering correctly, but somewhere in the back of mind I seem to recall there having been a lawsuit over this issue, which didn't get anywhere. Am I right? Any one with better recollection?
Mark, I do not get your line. I talk about facts I have measured by myself. I do not care why Epson is doing that - to protect lines or whatever. How accurate? The full cartridge (80ml) for P800 and 3880 weights ~142-145g (values span through 11 different cartridges bought and emptied this year) , "empty" weights ~72-75g. I assume density as 1.08 g/ml. Math can be easily done. The problem still exist in 2017, at least in Europe.
(to be clear, although above mentioned cheat issue, I have chosen Epson P800 over Canon Pro-1000)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

Mark, I do not get your line. I talk about facts I have measured by myself. I do not care why Epson is doing that - to protect lines or whatever. How accurate? The full cartridge (80ml) for P800 and 3880 weights ~142-145g (values span through 11 different cartridges bought and emptied this year) , "empty" weights ~72-75g. I assume density as 1.08 g/ml. Math can be easily done. The problem still exist in 2017, at least in Europe.
(to be clear, although above mentioned cheat issue, I have chosen Epson P800 over Canon Pro-1000)

Have you emptied a new cartridge into a beaker to see how many ML the beaker fills with? When you've done that, let us know how many ML they include when they say it's 80.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

I've got a 20 month old Epson p9000 that sits idle for weeks at a time.  I no longer maintain a humidifier in my room.  This printer has cleaned so rarely that my I really don't remember the last time.  The original maintenance cartridges are far from being used at this point.  On most occasions I wake it up (many times after several weeks), run a nozzle check to because I'm tracking this, and most of the time I'm ready to print. Sometimes I need to clean a few nozzles in a channel or two.

Epson has made some pretty dramatic changes to their technology. the p series has been out long enough to now that it seems pretty evident they have improved on the previous generation. I also have a year old p800, I think it's cleaned twice, and my p5000  which also sits idle for weeks at a time was problematic for the first week which ended up being an anomaly, it also rarely cleans, can't remember the last time it needed to clean.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up