Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FS: Lens and Shutter Protectors  (Read 870 times)

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
FS: Lens and Shutter Protectors
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:43:44 pm »

So let's say you want to send your shutter for repair. The cells are fine, and there's no need to send them in. How do you store them until your shutter is returned? And how do you ship the shutter so that it arrives safely, with no damage to the diaphragm or shutter leaves?

Or maybe you have a convertible Symmar lens and want to use only the rear element for the longer focal length.
How do you keep the front cell safe until you finish shooting?

Some of us also carry a spare shutter to ensure that the assignment is not held up due to a faulty shutter.

Of course, one can cut pieces of cardboard and stick them on shutters, but that's not an elegant solution. One could do the same for cells, but what to do about cells from lenses like the Grandagon 75mm f/6.8 lens? The glass protrudes from the body, and it is impossible to put anything on the glass without damaging it.

The Lens Protectors and Shutter Protectors are designed to let lens cells or shutters be stored and shipped safely. I got a small batch of Copal 0 sized Protectors made to test demand. Depending on the response, I will get them manufactured in other sizes.

The Protectors are manufactured in Japan out of POM, an engineering plastic similar to Delrin. It is very strong and does not outgas, so there is no danger with long-term storage. The hollow part in the Lens Protector is 10 mm deep, enough for almost any lens cell. The Front Shutter Protector has threads to 3mm, ensuring that it will never touch the diaphragm or shutter leaves. The Rear Shutter Protector can be threaded on even with the retaining ring attached.

Photos of the Lens Protectors:

The Shutter Protectors:

The price for one set of Lens Protectors or Shutter Protectors is 3,600 JPY, plus shipping of your choice. Worldwide e-Packet shipping for upto two sets will cost 700 JPY. EMS shipping for up to 6 sets will cost 1,500 JPY to Asia, 2,100 JPY to North America and 2,300 JPY to Europe.

Thanks,
Kumar

Kumar

Re: FS: Lens and Shutter Protectors
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:41:11 pm »

Just to clarify:

The price of 3,600 JPY is for a SET OF TWO PROTECTORS - 2 Lens Protectors or 1 Front and 1 Rear Shutter Protector.

You can also MIX & MATCH - one Lens Protector and one Front or Rear Shutter Protector. You can also buy a SINGLE LENS OR SHUTTER PROTECTOR for 2,000 JPY.

Thanks,
Kumar

Kumar

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:23:31 am »

I've had a few inquiries for a full set of protectors for each shutter size. I'm glad to inform that I can sell a full set of 2 Lens Protectors + 2 Shutter Protectors (front & rear) in Copal #0 size for 6,000 JPY plus shipping.

Kumar

Kumar

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 09:17:25 pm »

UPDATE:

Thanks to all of you who bought the #0 Protectors and / or inquired about other sizes. I met the manufacturer yesterday and have a quote for other sizes of Lens and Shutter Protectors. These will all be machined to the same high standards as the #0 size.

There are a couple of design changes, however. There was some confusion caused due to the design similarity between the Rear Shutter Protector and the Lens Protector. Accordingly, all new Shutter Protectors will have male threads, like the Front Shutter Protector. The knurled knobs will be made smaller to reduce weight. The step marked will be eliminated to ensure that the protector can be threaded in fully.

A number of you also asked whether the Protectors could be sold individually, rather than only as a set. Yes, they can be purchased individually.
A set of two will cost a bit less than buying two separately. You can mix and match within the same size to get the lower price. For example, two #0 Shutter Protectors or two #0 Lens Protectors or one #0 Shutter Protector and one #0 Lens Protector will all cost 2,500 JPY.

So these are the new prices:

1. #0 size Lens and Shutter Protectors - 1,500 JPY each; 2,500 JPY per set of two.

2. #1 size Lens and Shutter Protectors - 1,800 JPY each; 3,000 JPY per set of two.

3. #3 size Lens and Shutter Protectors - 2,500 JPY each; 4,000 JPY per set of two.

4. #3S size Lens and Shutter Protectors - 2,500 JPY each; 4,000 JPY per set of two.

To all those who purchased #0 protectors: I am refunding the excess payments.

Shipping is extra. Worldwide (Asia, Europe, N. America, Australasia) e-Packet shipping for up to two sets of #0 and #1 size Protectors will cost 700 JPY, with #3 and #3S sizes a bit more. I'll know exact costs when they are manufactured.

I will proceed with manufacturing only if there is sufficient interest - at least 50 of each size of Lens and Shutter Protectors.

To discuss purchasing, please send me an email at focusgma at gmail dot com.

Thanks,
Kumar
Pages: [1]   Go Up