Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loupedeck  (Read 3811 times)

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
Loupedeck
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:59:09 am »

Have any of you looked at Loupedeck? (Website: Loupedeck) it's a dedicated keyboard for basic/develop settings in LR.

Or have anybody tried this DYI version: (http://blog.crispian.org/2017/06/open-source-does-it-again.html)

Or Palette https://palettegear.com/?

Looks like a good idea, but a bit expensive so I am hesitating to preorder now, but I am tempted...

Have any of you tried any alternatives? Like X-Keys? Is there any other?

What I really would like is a keyboard with a key for each name in my family and fiends, to make key-wording names easier in LR... key-wording is really the area where I would like an upgrade in LR right now to make it more efficient.

Ronny
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:11:45 am by Ronny Nilsen »
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Loupedeck
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:06:07 am »

Do you not use the Keyword Sets (Keywording panel) in conjunction with the number pad? Hold down Alt/Option and the number pad's 1-9 apply keywords, while 0 will advance to the next set.

John

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 07:22:07 am »

Do you not use the Keyword Sets (Keywording panel) in conjunction with the number pad? Hold down Alt/Option and the number pad's 1-9 apply keywords, while 0 will advance to the next set.

John

I do, and I have several keyword sets, but I would like something that gives more speed without having to toggle between those keyword sets. In short, I would like access to more keywords at the same time.

And a smoother way to keep the keyword hierarchy organised  would also be nice. It works now, but when you have thousands of keywords, keeping then organised could have a better user experience. :-)

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

leuallen

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:51:17 am »

I tried the midi controller setup and did not like it, too tiring. I found that using a plain old mouse with an auxiliary keypad such as the Logitech G13 was faster and much more comfortable to use if set up correctly. The G13 is about $40, much cheaper than your suggestions. It gives you 25 keys, if you need more than that you have too much family and friends (Grin). The problem I see is how are you going to remember which key has which name? That is a lot of memorization.

What I would do is to use the paint brush and set keyword shortcut (ctrl alt shift K) on keys next to each other. The set keyword command brings up a text entry dialog. Enter a letter and all the keywords that begin with that letter are displayed in a drop down list. Enter the second letter and the list is narrowed and so on. Usually a couple of letters narrows the drop down list enough so that you can see the keyword you want an click on it. This sets the keyword as the active keyword for the paint brush. Now use the paintbrush and scan all of the images in grid mode clicking those you wish to apply the keyword to. This a very fast way to keyword.

It gets better if you have dual monitors. Set the first monitor to grid and the second to loupe with Live activated. That way as the mouse pointer goes over a thumbnail in grid view, the full screen image is shown on the second monitor. That way you can keep the thumbnails relatively small for quick navigation but easily check to see the content of each thumbnail quickly. You would probably be better off spending the money that the devices you listed would cost on a second monitor if you don't have one.

Being very lazy I have put a lot of thought into how my desk is set up for speed, ease, and comfort. For example. My mouse pad extends out from the font of the desk and is at the level of the arm on my chair. This way I can keep my arm resting on the chair arm rest and effortlessly move the mouse without tiring my arm. A Wacom tablet sits about 6 in above the mouse pad for when I need it in PS.

As to all those sliders and rotary controls on a midi, I find the mouse more productive. Use a Logitech M510 mouse with a scroll wheel. Place the pointer over the command cursor and click. The scroll wheel will now make adjustment in values of five up or down. I find this close enough for most work. I think there are aux keys you can hold down which will give you finer or greater values. This is heads up with your eyes always on the monitor. With the midi you have to glance down to find the correct control or have pretty good muscle memory to find it.

Larry

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:57:09 am »

Larry: Your workflow for keywords is more or less how I keyword too, but I don't use the second monitor for that (but I have one), but it sounds like a good idea, so I will try it out.

Using an external keypad also looks like something I should look into.

Thanks!

For develop and general use, I use a Trakcpad (mac) to avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, so while a mouse with scroll buttons will work, I'm looking for other options to try out. :-)

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

leuallen

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 08:36:10 am »

Actually I use two external keypads. One is PS orientated (Genovation) and the Logitech g13 works with both LR and PS, switches automatically between applications. I would be lost without them.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up