Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend a brush for dusting paper  (Read 4914 times)

Majohnson

Recommend a brush for dusting paper
« on: July 11, 2017, 03:39:24 am »

Hello

Can someone please  recommend or let me know what type of brush to use for dusting off paper before printing or frame mounting?

No doubt it would have to be soft bristled.

Regards
Mark

graeme

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Recommend a brush for dusting paper
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 05:41:31 am »

Hello

Can someone please  recommend or let me know what type of brush to use for dusting off paper before printing or frame mounting?

No doubt it would have to be soft bristled.

Regards
Mark

I use this:
https://swiffer.com/en-us/shop-products/dusting/swiffer-dusters-cleaner-starter-kit
It's big, very soft, very effective and cheap.

Majohnson

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 07:14:45 am »

Thanks for the recommendations. Good to have two methods. Dust blower and the swiffer.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 07:28:10 am »

I use a horsehair drafting brush like this one:  http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin-draftsman-duster/

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 09:09:59 am »

I use a combination of a blower and a Kinetronics AntiStatic brush. The Swiffer duster refill pads work too.

ken

datro

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:24:58 am »

I use a horsehair drafting brush like this one:  http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin-draftsman-duster/

+1

This drafting brush is the best option in my experience.  But use it only BEFORE printing to get the dust off.  Even though the bristles are soft, you can still scratch a print on some papers after it has been printed.  After ink is laid down, the only thing that should ever touch a print is air.

pearlstreet

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:53:09 am »

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 10:58:07 am »

Regards,
Ron

Garnick

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 11:45:09 am »

I also use the "StaticWisk" from Kenetronics, although on their site(http://www.kinetronics.com/) they only seem to have the 11" brush now.  However, Amazon sells some of the Kenetronics products as well(https://www.amazon.com/Kinetronics-StaticWisk-139mm-Anti-Static-Acrylics/dp/B00014K2XU).  Also, B&H sells one that can be attached to a grounding cable(https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/358016-REG/Kinetronics_KSW101_101_Plastic_Handle_Anti_Static.html).

I've had my StaticWisk for many years and it performs exactly as advertised.  I use it mostly for cleaning the scanner glass before scanning, and occasionally for dusting paper as well.

Gary
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:20:27 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 11:53:35 am »

I use this:
https://swiffer.com/en-us/shop-products/dusting/swiffer-dusters-cleaner-starter-kit
It's big, very soft, very effective and cheap.

I'd second the Swiffer. These things really pick up the dust and hold on to it. You have to shake them well before using them to "charge" them up. Static cling attracts and holds the dust particles. I had a roll of Hahnemuhle Photo Silk Baryta that had so much factory installed dust that I couldn't get a good print until I used the Swiffer. As these things evolved (or maybe it was just our local store) I could only find the heavily scented Swiffer dusters. I wasn't sure if the smelly stuff would contaminate the paper so I bought a generic unscented version and it worked just as well.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:56:46 am by DeanChriss »
- Dean

Majohnson

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 06:45:03 pm »

I appreciate all the replies. I'm spoilt for choice now :-)

Happy dust free printing!

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 03:35:29 pm »

FWIW, dust can have sources other than the factory.

After using my old 9800 for a few years, I found myself increasingly cursing those sloppy, dust filled factories!  Then I opened the plastic cover and noted that a large amount of dust had accumulated inside the cover where it could easily transfer to the media, especially when loading rolls.  An occasional wipe with a slightly moist towel cured my dust problems for good, no brush needed.

Of course with sheets there is the problem of loose chips breaking off from the edges and migrating on to the surface.  For that you need a brush or a bulb air blower, and careful handling will also help. 

It's very easy to see if you've got a dusty sheet by viewing it in grazing light across the surface.  I have a few foot operated, table height lights in the shop specifically for detecting dust.  Not a big fan of Swiffers, I find they tend to deposit lint along the edges of media and mounting boards and create dust bunnies in the shop that find their way on to exposed adhesive surfaces.

The curse of boxed sheets is dust, the curse of rolls is curl.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 06:36:00 am »

I found a carbon fibre brush designed for removing dust from vinyl records on ebay. It was very cheap, but given the remounting trendiness of vinyl, that may change.

Otoh, I'd hestitate to use a blower: blowing air over a plastic surface is an excellent way to generate a static charge on the plastic blower nozzle and hence on the print...

Garnick

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 07:56:14 am »

FWIW, dust can have sources other than the factory.

After using my old 9800 for a few years, I found myself increasingly cursing those sloppy, dust filled factories!  Then I opened the plastic cover and noted that a large amount of dust had accumulated inside the cover where it could easily transfer to the media, especially when loading rolls.  An occasional wipe with a slightly moist towel cured my dust problems for good, no brush needed.

Of course with sheets there is the problem of loose chips breaking off from the edges and migrating on to the surface.  For that you need a brush or a bulb air blower, and careful handling will also help. 

It's very easy to see if you've got a dusty sheet by viewing it in grazing light across the surface.  I have a few foot operated, table height lights in the shop specifically for detecting dust.  Not a big fan of Swiffers, I find they tend to deposit lint along the edges of media and mounting boards and create dust bunnies in the shop that find their way on to exposed adhesive surfaces.

The curse of boxed sheets is dust, the curse of rolls is curl.

Hi Bill,

I can definitely identify with your discovery.  For many years(dating back to the 7600) I have been following a routine after printing on canvas or fine art roll paper.  Before I do the "K" ink switch I release the pressure rollers and do a complete vacuuming regimen inside the printer, including the rollers(individually).  The amount of paper/canvas dust that can accumulate from such substrates is incredible, and if left to build up it can certainly cause a huge issue with any substrate thereafter.  The vacuuming takes a bit of time, but it can definitely save the $$$ attached to prints that are unusable due to the many white spots where the ink has peeled off because of dust. 

Something I just thought of.  Would it perhaps be a good idea to ground the body of the printer, thereby to some extent eliminating static build up.  My P7000 is setting on carpet, so I think I will at least give this a try, although I haven't yet noticed any static.  However, as the RH lowers in the coming winter months I imagine the probability will rise.  Static can be a very insidious issue until it becomes an obvious problem.  Just a thought.

Gary     

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Ferp

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 07:49:42 pm »

+1 for the bad boy Datavac blower, and Kinetronics anti-static brushes.  They work in tandem for me.  Haven't found any problems with static charge from the blower.  I think I read recommendations about them on here on Lula.  B&H have them both and the brushes come in a range of sizes.  I'm wary of wiping, wet or dry, as I am concerned that I may deposit fresh dust as I clean out the old. 

RickStare

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 07:50:24 pm »

+2 for the drafting brush. That's what I always use, BEFORE printing only. Living in NW Oregon, we don't experience excessive static in the winter because of the humidity from all the rain, so I've never felt the need for a static brush.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 09:54:37 am »

Hi Bill,

I can definitely identify with your discovery.  For many years(dating back to the 7600) I have been following a routine after printing on canvas or fine art roll paper.  Before I do the "K" ink switch I release the pressure rollers and do a complete vacuuming regimen inside the printer, including the rollers(individually).  The amount of paper/canvas dust that can accumulate from such substrates is incredible, and if left to build up it can certainly cause a huge issue with any substrate thereafter.  The vacuuming takes a bit of time, but it can definitely save the $$$ attached to prints that are unusable due to the many white spots where the ink has peeled off because of dust. 

Something I just thought of.  Would it perhaps be a good idea to ground the body of the printer, thereby to some extent eliminating static build up.  My P7000 is setting on carpet, so I think I will at least give this a try, although I haven't yet noticed any static.  However, as the RH lowers in the coming winter months I imagine the probability will rise.  Static can be a very insidious issue until it becomes an obvious problem.  Just a thought.

Gary   

I just saw this. I believe the printer body is grounded through the 3-prong AC plug, assuming the outlet it's plugged into is properly grounded. But, much of the printer is made of plastic too. I'm not sure whether it's conductive plastic to dissipate static charges.
- Dean
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up