Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V-log for Panasonic GH 4 & GH 5  (Read 2870 times)

vulture

V-log for Panasonic GH 4 & GH 5
« on: July 07, 2017, 01:39:22 pm »

I tried to activate the previously for my Panasonic GH-4 acquired V-log to activate again for the now new GH-5 and failed.
I was told by the customer service of Pana that I can only get an activation for a Panasonic body ONCE, meaning that I would have to buy a V-log firmware update again.
I feel myself pranked, to say the least.
Has anybody here an Idea if I can the V-log custom setting from the GH 4 transfer to the GH 5 ?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: V-log for Panasonic GH 4 & GH 5
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 05:14:14 pm »

That's pretty crappy customer service on the part of Panny....

I cannot answer your question directly since I have no experience with a 'canned' V-Log

What I have done, is experiment with the various settings on both my GH4 & 5 to give myself a good HDR low-con original that accepts grading and custom LUT very well. You might call it VLog Light

These are the settings I work with. YMMV )

Contrast -3
Sharpness -2
Noise Reduction -3
Chroma -2

I also play with the pedestal but generally keep it at +10

As a rather time-consuming exercise, you might try with the same shot using the canned GH4 V Log and play with the settings on the GH5 until you get a close match. (I would use the scopes for this otherwise it will be a bit crazy making. ) Then save the settings as a Custom Preset
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:53:03 pm by Chris Sanderson »

vulture

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 02:09:36 am »

Thanks Chris for your advice.
If I remember well I've read somewhere (review ?) that one could save individual settings on a card to use it in other bodies to match their settings.
Or to pass it to another operator to the same end when shooting is done at another place & time.
Shouldn't that be an option to save & transfer V-log settings -(in case it works between GH 4 & GH 5) ?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 09:58:21 am »

I searched for that card swap function and could not find it.

For a lot of really good advice on the GH4 (+ specific settings advice re VLog), I highly recommend spending $20 on Andrew Reid's ebook at EOSHD

Hopefully he will write one for the GH5 which is a lot more complex. I am still just scratching the surface of its functionality

vulture

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 02:17:09 pm »

Thanks for the hint, Chris
Hopefully he will write one for the GH5 which is a lot more complex. I am still just scratching the surface of its functionality

I am in the same stage. With all the enjoyable improvements & new functions the GH 5 is coming, the menu has become even more complicated and confusing.
It's somehow not easy to grasp the logics of the menu structure not to speak of the partly incomprehensibility of the manual.

Pete Berry

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 05:58:06 pm »

I searched for that card swap function and could not find it.

For a lot of really good advice on the GH4 (+ specific settings advice re VLog), I highly recommend spending $20 on Andrew Reid's ebook at EOSHD

+1

One thing than may or may not be widely known for both GH4&5 is that the top "+/-" EC button can be totally bypassed in A, S and P priority modes with direct EC access through top or back dial (which otherwise duplicate each other's effect by default??):

GH4 - Custom tool menu pg 7 > Dial Set > Exp. Comp (set to top or rear dial) The EC button remains useful for Flash comp.

GH5 - Custom Tool menu pg 3 >  Dial settings > Exp comp as above. EC button works for M mode & Auto ISO with ISO comp. Also for Flash EC if flash mounted (but not with elect. shutter) - it's in upper R corner of screen easy to overlook..
Pages: [1]   Go Up