Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: purchasing an 8 ply mat cutter  (Read 5500 times)

hacimd

purchasing an 8 ply mat cutter
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:32:42 pm »

Hello, 

I'm looking for some advice about purchasing a mat cutter.  I would like the option to cut 2, 4 and 8 ply, up to 32" - 40", with the option to make straight and bevel cuts.  I've heard good things about 'Logan' brand matt cutters, but the price jumps a few hundred dollars when moving up to 8 ply.  Does anyone have any suggestions about this?  I'm looking for a cheaper option.  Something around $200 or less would be ideal.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

donbga

Re: purchasing an 8 ply mat cutter
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:52:49 pm »

Hello, 

I'm looking for some advice about purchasing a mat cutter.  I would like the option to cut 2, 4 and 8 ply, up to 32" - 40", with the option to make straight and bevel cuts.  I've heard good things about 'Logan' brand matt cutters, but the price jumps a few hundred dollars when moving up to 8 ply.  Does anyone have any suggestions about this?  I'm looking for a cheaper option.  Something around $200 or less would be ideal.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

The Fletcher 2200 is the cutter you want to purchase for 8 ply mat board. Be prepared for sticker shock though they are quite expensive. None of the Logan mat cutters cannot do the job properly, I've tried them all except for the Logan 850. Logans are okay for 2&4 ply but cutting 8 ply is very iffy.

The Logan 850 might pass muster with 8 ply but since they are priced at over $1300 I would instead buy a Fletcher.

More than likely someone will pipe up and say the Logans can cut the mustard with 8 ply but they really can't.

Don Bryant

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:50:23 pm »

None will cut it in one pass.  You have to first score it with precision then go back and cut it on the second pass.  And you certainly won't get it for that price.  Unless you are willing to spend thousands.  Find a company to cut them for you.  T

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:05:53 am »

I also would like to matt some of my work using 8 ply mat, but I cannot imagine cutting these mats myself.  First of all I'd hate to make a mis-cut and still have to pay for the board.  I use a logan cutter which works but, I'm getting to the point that I might just order my mats pre-cut.  If money were no issue I'd get one of these: http://www.speed-mat.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:57:34 am »

Hello, 

I have very good experience with Logan, but I have not tried 8 ply. I fear that your needs and price point are not compatible. Maybe get a Logan cutter for 2 and 4 ply and then farm out the 8 ply work?

Peter Mellis

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:07:28 pm »

Although I don't cut my own mats all of my work is framed using 8 ply mats. The only acceptable work that I have had done locally has been using computerized cutters. You might want to try to make a deal with a local framer that has that type of equipment.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 06:43:28 am »

Check out this link.
Used Framing Supplies

This is for anyone looking to get mat cutters and such.

I picked up a Speed Mat very reasonably a few years back.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 10:25:13 am »

I have cut my own 4-ply mats for over fifty years using a manual Logan system. A few years ago I decided to use 8-ply mats for five prints for one particular show, and I invested in a Logan hand-operated cutter that was good for 8-ply boards. It was a nightmare to use, requiring multiple passes with great force to make clean cuts.

If I ever need 8-ply mats again I will have them cut by someone with a computerized system. Four-ply is the limit for do-it-your-selfers, IMHO.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

donbga

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 09:12:57 pm »

Hello, 

Your goal is not achievable for that amount of money. Multiply that by 10 (10x200=2000) and you might be able to purchase a reliable 8 ply matt cutter.

felix5616

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 03:32:25 pm »

Look for a used Esterly Speed Mat cutter, you can sometimes get great deals and they are great mat cutters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up