Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High-end monitors, Graphics cards etc ????  (Read 4917 times)

tived

• http://
High-end monitors, Graphics cards etc ????
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:37:33 pm »

bottlenecks in archiving the perfect retouching workstation

reason for asking this is because of what Dr Karl Lang wrote earlier on here
<http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9613&hl=prosense>

"2) More bits in the display does not fix this problem. 10 bit LUTs, 14
Bit 3D LUTs, 10 bit column drivers, time-domain bits, none of these
technologies will solve problem 1. Until the path from photoshop to the
pixel is at least 10 bits the whole way, I advise sticking to a display
with something close to ColorMatch or sRGB."
from the above link

now what graphics cards would be good enough to handle the wide-gamut screens such as the Eizo CG220, 221 and the NEC WG

How far off is photoshop or any software from eliminating any bottlenecks? communicating to the monitor

regarding graphics cards, I have been trying to find information regarding the lut information. Nvidia Quadro FX reports 12bit per pixelline and ATI FireGL reports 10Bit now if this is actually the same and relevent I am not sure so if anyone here knows please let me know. And if this is actually relevent!? I am not sure.

trying to figure out all this tech stuff takes away time from being creative and getting real work done...:-) when is it going to end.

thanks guys for taking the time to respond

Henrik

ato

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:40:25 pm »

if you using DVI-D, your display card only transfer 8 bit data to your monitor,so 10 bit lut seem useless.(i guess only)

i tested many display card, some nvidia model (even NV40) only have 8 bit lut.very bad look if you load 16bit lut.

for your " perfect retouching workstation",you need

1)window vista(support scRGB gamut,better color management)
2)more than 10bit lut output display card,like HDMI 1.3(support 48bit) or d-sub output
3)at least adobeRGB gamut monitor,better use rdf225wg(because this is analog and it can display a real black dark)

tived

• http://
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:24:46 am »

if you using DVI-D, your display card only transfer 8 bit data to your monitor,so 10 bit lut seem useless.(i guess only)

i tested many display card, some nvidia model (even NV40) only have 8 bit lut.very bad look if you load 16bit lut.

for your " perfect retouching workstation",you need

1)window vista(support scRGB gamut,better color management)
2)more than 10bit lut output display card,like HDMI 1.3(support 48bit) or d-sub output
3)at least adobeRGB gamut monitor,better use rdf225wg(because this is analog and it can display a real black dark)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks ATO,

so when will the HDMI graphics cards be available, I know Wista is some time away, the NEC is here. thanks for this info, it gives me some to work on  

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up