Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Durable alternative to Harman Gloss Baryta?  (Read 7479 times)

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
Durable alternative to Harman Gloss Baryta?
« on: July 02, 2017, 03:03:53 pm »

I've been printing most of my framed B&W prints on Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta. I want to put together a portfolio box but the HHGB scratches so easily I worry they won't hold up well with storage and handling. Any suggestions for similar papers with a more durable surface coating? Thanks, Ryan

Sbarroso

Re: Durable alternative to Harman Gloss Baryta?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:12:29 pm »

I've been printing most of my framed B&W prints on Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta. I want to put together a portfolio box but the HHGB scratches so easily I worry they won't hold up well with storage and handling. Any suggestions for similar papers with a more durable surface coating? Thanks, Ryan
Hahnemühle wiped out from their catalogue the "Harman by..." papers. The good news is that your favorite paper was rescued under a new name.

I think they clame some improvements as well, in addition to the new branding, but I've not tested the new version yet. (and it will take long; it's in my stock, but not one of the most used, nor I print that much).

Enviat des del meu E5823 usant Tapatalk

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 05:12:53 pm »

I prefer Canson's Platine to any Baryta because it not only looks similar but has a tougher coating and no OBAs. Also you can just apply Hahnemuhle's spray coating which will help protect the surface.

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:23:35 pm »

Do the improvement include a more durable surface coating? I do get a lot of pizza wheel marks on my 3880 with this paper although nobody but me ever notices.

Hahnemühle wiped out from their catalogue the "Harman by..." papers. The good news is that your favorite paper was rescued under a new name.

I think they clame some improvements as well, in addition to the new branding, but I've not tested the new version yet. (and it will take long; it's in my stock, but not one of the most used, nor I print that much).

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:26:58 pm »

Sadly it looks like the rescue squad didn't have room in their copter for the 17x25" cut sheets.

howardm

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:13:51 am »

mackman,  where are you located?

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 02:52:34 pm »

Boston area. Why do you ask?

mackman,  where are you located?

mshea

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:55:33 am »

So what's the name of the replacement paper? No more 17 X 25 sheets? Sigh...  I can cut 17 X 25 from a roll (the size I normally print), but the cut sheets are certainly more convenient.

Merrill

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 03:00:44 pm »

So what's the name of the replacement paper? No more 17 X 25 sheets? Sigh...  I can cut 17 X 25 from a roll (the size I normally print), but the cut sheets are certainly more convenient.

Merrill

From the horse's mouth:

"As a substitute for several papers we would like to recommend the following papers from our Digital FineArt Collection:
- Photo Rag® Bright White 310 as an alternative for Matt Cotton Smooth 300
- FineArt Baryta 325 as an alternative for Gloss Art Fibre 300

Furthermore, we are pleased to announce that the popular Gloss Baryta 320 will be continued
in the Hahnemühle Photo range under the name Photo Gloss Baryta 320 with a new improved
coating. The improved coating formulation guarantees a homogeneous surface free of micro-
cracks and top printing quality. In the Hahnemühle Photo range, Photo Gloss Baryta 320 will be
available from April 2017 in the formats A4, A3, A3+ and A2 as well as in rolls with 17”, 24”, 44”
and 50” width."

Could be that the EU sizes differ from the US sizes though.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

MHMG

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 03:34:31 pm »

From the horse's mouth:

"... we are pleased to announce that the popular Gloss Baryta 320 will be continued
in the Hahnemühle Photo range under the name Photo Gloss Baryta 320 with a new improved
coating. The improved coating formulation guarantees a homogeneous surface free of micro-
cracks and top printing quality. In the Hahnemühle Photo range, Photo Gloss Baryta 320 will be
available from April 2017 in the formats A4, A3, A3+ and A2 as well as in rolls with 17”, 24”, 44”
and 50” width."

Photo Gloss Baryta 320 is either an incredibly popular paper at the moment or there are some production/supply chain issues ongoing :(  B&H Photo has it listed as backordered with September, 2017 as expected date for restocking! I haven't yet found any other source in the USA that actually has it in stock even though Hahnemuhle's press release said availability would start in April 2017.

kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 04:48:14 pm by MHMG »

Sbarroso

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 04:26:19 pm »

I took a quick look in Internet for suppliers in Germany.
My usual supplier (digitfoto, broad offer and stock) does not list it.
A price search engine only finds Monochrom (another good shop), but they only have stock of 61cmx15m roll(s). Other formats take 8-10 days (in theory...)

It would not be the first time there is a supply issue with Hahnemühle. The last one I remember was the Baryta Satin, which took months after its presentation (worth the wait).

gkroeger

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 05:30:56 pm »

I just received a 17" roll from ITSupplies.  Although I liked the 17x25 size, the sheets were undersized (<17") and had severe curl. I am hoping the roll will work out better.

Glenn

MHMG

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 08:04:26 pm »

I just received a 17" roll from ITSupplies.  Although I liked the 17x25 size, the sheets were undersized (<17") and had severe curl. I am hoping the roll will work out better.

Glenn

Yes, I should have qualified my earlier remarks on availability. Rolls seem to be in stock at various dealers in the USA, but no cut sheet sizes, and I"m looking for letter-size cut sheet to test and see if I like the new reformulated product before investing in more expensive larger cut sheet or roll sizes.

best,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Robcat

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 10:19:41 pm »

I've gotten a 24" roll of the Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta, and it has the same image quality as the discontinued Harman by Hahnemuhle and does seem to have a less delicate surface. The Harman required total kid-glove handling until you could get a light protective coat on it after it had dried. The new version seems significantly less sensitive. Curl is slightly less bad (from horrible to just occasionally problematic).

RHPS

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 10:19:31 am »

I've used the Harman paper for many years but was always troubled by the curl of the cut sheets. In looking for an alternative, since I couldn't find the Han replacement anywhere, I got samples of Permajet FB Mono Gloss Baryta 320. I only had two A4 sheets so couldn't do much. However I have to say that this is the closest to the original HGB that I have seen. The surface is pretty well identical and comparing the Outback test image on the two papers it's hard to tell them apart except for one factor - the Permajet A4 sheets are lovely and flat! Hard to quantify how delicate the surface is, but I think this will be my go-to baryta from now on.

I should say that I'm in the UK so I've no idea of the availability elsewhere is the world.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 04:38:50 am »

I got yesterday (Athens, Greece) a sample 5m 24" roll of Hahnemule Photo Gloss Baryta 320. It was the first time I use the paper and I have no experience with Harman Gloss Baryta. It's very stiff and curled and I had a hard time to cut sheets and decurled it for testing it with the Canon pro-1000. The surface is not very delicate. In the process I handle it carelessly (without gloves) and I didn't notice afterwards any scratches or fingerprints. I used the Hahnemuhle profile and the Clear Coat set to "overall" and it prints beautifully color and BW (without gloss differential or bronzing).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:45:50 am by Panagiotis »

alain

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 05:38:16 pm »

Hi

I've noticed localy that the "new" paper is almost 1/3 more expensive than the Harman version.  Is this global or more of a local "shortage" reason?

Alain

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 09:58:01 am »

I took a quick look in Internet for suppliers in Germany.
My usual supplier (digitfoto, broad offer and stock) does not list it.

It's listed by the French Digitphoto (are they related?) in A4, A3+ and A2:
https://www.digit-photo.com/Papiers-jet-d-encre-amateur-aFA0062/HAHNEMUHLE-Papier-Photo-Gloss-Baryta-320g-A3-25-Feuilles-rHAHNE10641992.html

but it's an "on order" product. Price doesn't seem unusual: 82.90€, identical to Canson Infinity Baryta for 25 sheets of A3+. Lumière baryté is 67€, Canson Infinity Baryta Prestige is 112€... "prestige" is obvious expensive ;-)

jhaagsma

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 05:25:12 am »

I like Harman Gloss Baryta because it has about the same amount of gloss as the ink from my SC-P800. On glossier papers the printed part looks dull compared to the unprinted borders, on less glossy papers (like Canson Platine) the printed part is glossier than the paper itself. The HGB is my choice of glossy paper with this printer. Unfortunately I also have problems with curl. The right side of cut sheets curls up a bit, causing head strikes. Canson Platine also suffers a bit from this, but less so. So hopefully the new Hahnemuhle keeps the appearance of HGB with less curl.

texshooter

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 01:09:43 pm »

Hahnemuhle's Photo Silk Baryta is suppose to be the best Baryta paper in the world if archiveability is not your priority, according to this review.

http://blog.brettlerickson.com/2016/04/25/review-hahnemuhles-new-photo-silk-baryta/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up