Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zombie scanner (won't shut off)  (Read 1879 times)

syncrasy

Zombie scanner (won't shut off)
« on: July 02, 2017, 11:06:19 am »

Recently my flatbed scanner — Microtek ScanMaker i700 — has developed a problem: it doesn't shut off after pressing the off button. When I turn it off, the scanner lights stay on and it "power cycles" itself as if for initial set up. After sitting idle for a few minutes, it repeats the power cycle. (So the scanner can't be used it this state -- it's different than when the power switch is "on.")

Unplugging the USB cord has no effect. Only unplugging the power supply turns it off completely. But if I plug the power supply back in, the scanner cycles again (even though the button is "off").

What's the likely cause? A defective power supply, a defective switch, or something else?

The scanner is old (circa 2004) and no longer supported, so repair is unlikely, but I thought I'd ask the forum members their opinions before I try searching for a new power supply.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:12:29 am by syncrasy »
-- Mark

degrub

Re: Zombie scanner (won't shut off)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 11:32:04 am »

sounds a lot like crud in the switch contact or a bad board (under the switches).
You could take it apart and try to clean it, but if it is a bad trace on the board - not hopeful.
Time for a replacement ?

syncrasy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 11:55:14 am »

sounds a lot like crud in the switch contact or a bad board (under the switches).
You could take it apart and try to clean it, but if it is a bad trace on the board - not hopeful.
Time for a replacement ?

I was afraid of that. I'm hoping I can finish my project before the scanner dies completely. But if not, any suggestions for a flatbed scanner that scans 4x5 negatives? I believe Microtek no longer sells scanners in the U.S., so it looks like Epson Perfection V800 or V850 are currently the only options (but I would have to sacrifice my desire for legal 8x14" size).

-- Mark

degrub

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 12:30:45 pm »

Why legal size ?
If just documents, get an AIO printer with a feed type scanner.

syncrasy

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 12:38:52 pm »

Why legal size ?
If just documents, get an AIO printer with a feed type scanner.

Legal size for those rare occasions when I need it. Might be too rare to worry about.

Not just documents... I use the scanner for 4x5 negatives. The flatbed was a perfect solution for both docs and 4x5s.
-- Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up