Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 81413 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #1560 on: May 16, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »

I'm not sure how the peculiar, repeated fence shapes in the upper part got there; I kinda suspect it had something to do with freak light reflecting off the surfaces of the individual elements in the lens.

I hope I didn't post it before as part of the power station shoot of the other week.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1561 on: May 16, 2018, 09:59:41 AM »

Well, it's certainly mysterious.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1562 on: May 16, 2018, 11:39:09 AM »

+1.
And the fence pattern adds to the mystery.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Telecaster

« Reply #1563 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:39 PM »

A pair of tiny critters from today's park walk. Also saw a pair of orioles…very unusual around here. Just as unusual as the chickadee sitting still long enough for me to take three whole frames!

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #1564 on: May 16, 2018, 09:16:59 PM »

A tale of two lenses. The first is a Zeiss Jena 85/2 Sonnar in Leica Thread Mount, the second a Leica 75/2.4 Summarit. The Zeiss is likely a late 1940s lens assembled from WWII-era components while the Leica was made in 2016. Photos via a Sony A7iii + Techart Pro AF adapter for M mount lenses. Both lenses wide open at minimum focus, 90 & 75cm respectively, with a little additional extension from the Techart. Both photos cropped (not much) for near-identical framing and also processed in iOS Affinity Photo close to identically.

IMO there's very little in it. The Leica has a bit more resolution & snap while the Zeiss has more focal length & speed. Neither impedes anyone from taking a compelling photo nor is capable of turning sows' ears into silk purses.

(I took the two critter pics above with the Zeiss Jena lens.)

-Dave-

opgr

« Reply #1565 on: May 17, 2018, 12:06:40 AM »

Summarit >>>>>> Sonnar

Is the color balance difference due to lens only? Or is there a WB processing difference involved?

Considering the color, combined with the softer backfocus look, I very much prefer the Summarit. 

Telecaster

« Reply #1566 on: May 17, 2018, 03:19:23 PM »

Summarit >>>>>> Sonnar

Is the color balance difference due to lens only? Or is there a WB processing difference involved?

Considering the color, combined with the softer backfocus look, I very much prefer the Summarit.

The color balance difference is in the lenses. The Zeiss is an early coated lens and renders with less color saturation than most anything from the SLR era forward. (I also have a pre-WWII version, uncoated, with a very cool color rendering.) The Summarit, besides "seeing" with higher saturation, also has a pinkish tilt common to current Leica lenses.

The Sonnar, for a ~70 year old version of an 80+ year old design, IMO hangs in there pretty well.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #1567 on: May 18, 2018, 03:03:57 PM »

The park trails I love walking on are really pretty at this time of year. The greens are fresh & clean and the browns have pleasingly darkened. I spent lotsa time on this particular walk just standing and letting my senses take it all in.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #1568 on: May 18, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »

Sweet soul music.

BobDavid

« Reply #1569 on: May 19, 2018, 02:43:00 AM »

Sweet soul music.

...interesting, jumped out at me.

BobDavid

« Reply #1570 on: May 19, 2018, 02:44:04 AM »

stuck in traffic at the crossing

Rob C

« Reply #1571 on: May 19, 2018, 04:18:24 AM »

stuck in traffic at the crossing

I keep looking in vain for all those '59 Coupe de Villes, Pontiac '73 Grand Prix... even an Eldorado with horns would be okay and reassure me!

Has the US really lost its love affair with cars? Funny thing: Mallorca has lots of Mercedes, but the majority appear to be taxis. A few folks with no money buy used BMW 3 series coupes and then end up with even less money than they started with, if you see what I mean. I don't know who buys the new ones, other than my doctor who has sold his in favour of a 4 Gran Coupé model because he is now a granddad and needs a rear door even though he rathers it didn't apear obvious (that it's a door, not his grandfathership).

Funny thing, the mind: I drive a small car - a Fiesta - and there are loads of places I don't even try to get through in the old town here; yet, periodically, you see builder's trucks there with cranes, unloading cement and cement mixers. Perhaps the drivers just don't care, and figure the buildings will collapse before the truck gets seriously damaged. Or a damaged truck is yet another, secret rite of passage? (No pun etc.)

Telecaster

« Reply #1572 on: May 19, 2018, 06:04:44 PM »

Bob's photo is kinda misleading in that there are no large pickup trucks with fierce-looking front grills in it. "Check out my style!" has been replaced in large part by "Stay away from me!"

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #1573 on: May 20, 2018, 04:44:42 AM »

Bob's photo is kinda misleading in that there are no large pickup trucks with fierce-looking front grills in it. "Check out my style!" has been replaced in large part by "Stay away from me!"

-Dave-

I think bull bars are illegal in the UK, though some trucks have them out here in Spain.

Worse, I think, are those towing hooks that extend from the rear of some vehicles. Plastic doesn't stand much of a chance against them, even if they are disguised under half a tennis ball.

Rob

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #1574 on: May 20, 2018, 05:08:52 AM »

I think bull bars are illegal in the UK, though some trucks have them out here in Spain.

Worse, I think, are those towing hooks that extend from the rear of some vehicles. Plastic doesn't stand much of a chance against them, even if they are disguised under half a tennis ball.

Rob

Bull bars were made illegal to fit as they kill and maim pedestrians. Tow balls won't do that and really should you be that close to the car in front?

I was sitting in my parked car as someone carefully drove into/onto my tow ball. What was he thinking of? Well a new radiator I expect :)

Rob C

« Reply #1575 on: May 20, 2018, 06:30:37 AM »

Bull bars were made illegal to fit as they kill and maim pedestrians. Tow balls won't do that and really should you be that close to the car in front?

I was sitting in my parked car as someone carefully drove into/onto my tow ball. What was he thinking of? Well a new radiator I expect :)

Absolutely correct.

Also absolutely correct is the fact that folks with towing hooks don't park any better than the guys who drive into them.

Rob

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #1576 on: May 20, 2018, 09:45:33 AM »

Farmhouse parlour

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1577 on: May 20, 2018, 09:58:44 AM »

Farmhouse parlour

A universal moment...Great image.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #1578 on: May 20, 2018, 10:25:53 AM »

Yeah, it helps looking around the old pad when you can't be bothered going out.

And a lazy guy just loves black and white.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1579 on: May 20, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »

Yeah, it helps looking around the old pad when you can't be bothered going out.

And a lazy guy just loves black and white.

My Kinda hunt...Love it.

Peter
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81   Go Up