Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 389933 times)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #1860 on: July 27, 2018, 05:00:38 pm »

We were supposed to have a Blood Moon here tonight but for the first time in months it was cloudy.

:-(

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #1861 on: July 27, 2018, 06:58:18 pm »

I just come back from watching the Blood Moon. Funny, a spot I thought is absolutely remote and unknown was crowded with about 20-30 people. Lots of haze near the horizon, so the Moon was only visible as it came up higher, too bad for shots with some landscape, so basically nothing to show really. But a nice experience anyway.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1862 on: July 27, 2018, 09:23:17 pm »

Peter, yours?

No. I’m in NYC today. Teaching. A view outside the senior studios.

Peter

Telecaster

« Reply #1863 on: July 27, 2018, 11:48:57 pm »

I just come back from watching the Blood Moon. Funny, a spot I thought is absolutely remote and unknown was crowded with about 20-30 people. Lots of haze near the horizon, so the Moon was only visible as it came up higher, too bad for shots with some landscape, so basically nothing to show really. But a nice experience anyway.

Clear view of the Moon tonight after a cloudy day in southeastern Michigan, USA, but no eclipse in North America and so no Blood.  ;)

Here's one from a few six days ago (time flies!).

-Dave-
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 11:52:34 pm by Telecaster »

Telecaster

« Reply #1864 on: July 27, 2018, 11:49:57 pm »

Moving day...

I like the geometry.

-Dave-

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #1865 on: July 28, 2018, 04:05:18 am »

One a bit interesting, my trusty 500mm Reflex added some creativity ...

Rob C

« Reply #1866 on: July 28, 2018, 04:56:13 am »

The Water Carrier, Bundi, India. Hermès body, Hermès lens.

Actually, that hose lends a sort of subliminal base (via weight of colour)) to the entire structure of the shot. Imagine it without that darker line, and it seems a bit less firmly planted than it is.

I am sure that its presence dictated the instinctive vertical cropping of the picture.

Try to see it without the hose, and it changes significantly.

This is not critique: without that weight of colour, my own temptation would have been to trim the base just above the stone on the step, and have the top higher. As it is, the stronger weight of colour gives a different balance that works. Either way, you need that weight from the hose to balance the dark above and to the right of the woman's head.

IMO.

Rob

KLaban

« Reply #1867 on: July 28, 2018, 05:18:15 am »

Actually, that hose lends a sort of subliminal base (via weight of colour)) to the entire structure of the shot. Imagine it without that darker line, and it seems a bit less firmly planted than it is.

I am sure that its presence dictated the instinctive vertical cropping of the picture.

Try to see it without the hose, and it changes significantly.

This is not critique: without that weight of colour, my own temptation would have been to trim the base just above the stone on the step, and have the top higher. As it is, the stronger weight of colour gives a different balance that works. Either way, you need that weight from the hose to balance the dark above and to the right of the woman's head.

IMO.

Rob

Yes, it would have been easy enough to remove the hose in post but I prefer not to meddle, at least not to that extent and as you've implied, Rob, I feel it adds balance.

With regard to critique, the reason I post in the without prejudice thread is because I'm not actively seeking it. I'm not the least interested in providing critique, never have been, never will be, but I'm not averse to receiving it, if that makes any sense?

KLaban

« Reply #1868 on: July 28, 2018, 05:29:09 am »

No. I’m in NYC today. Teaching. A view outside the senior studios.

Peter

Good, I somehow couldn't picture you living there, but rather I see you surrounded by trees.

;-)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1869 on: July 28, 2018, 08:27:01 am »

About the Water Carrier: I conclude that both Keith and Rob have good eyes.
I agree about the balance with the hose.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1870 on: July 28, 2018, 09:16:51 am »

Good, I somehow couldn't picture you living there, but rather I see you surrounded by trees.

;-)

Keith,
I moved away from the big city 30 years ago...to northeast Pa. Trees abound. It changed my life is so many ways.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #1871 on: July 28, 2018, 10:14:59 am »

Keith,
I moved away from the big city 30 years ago...to northeast Pa. Trees abound. It changed my life is so many ways.

Peter

Have you ever given a thought to looking at what remains standing from the days of the huge W. Eugene Smith project in Pittsburgh, and doing a contemporary take? I ask, because you have proved that you have a very good sense of hard industrial space (in your street work - a far cry from the forest) but I have to confess to knowing very little about the size of Pa. and so the logistics may be crazy.

Nonetheless, that would give some dedicated guy a huge challenge to take onboard.

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1872 on: July 28, 2018, 10:16:45 am »

...to northeast Pa. Trees abound. It changed my life is so many ways.

Lyme disease?  ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1873 on: July 28, 2018, 10:29:03 am »

Lyme disease?  ;)
Lyme ticks tend to congregate in tall grass rather than in trees.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1874 on: July 28, 2018, 11:21:01 am »

Lyme ticks tend to congregate in tall grass rather than in trees.

Indirectly, Eric.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2017/03/28/Lyme-disease-surge-in-Pittsburgh-Western-Pennsylvania-more-acorns-more-mice-carriers/stories/201703210143

If you become infected with Lyme disease this year, blame the acorn — the bitter-tasting nut that falls from oak trees..l

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1875 on: July 28, 2018, 01:13:44 pm »

Have you ever given a thought to looking at what remains standing from the days of the huge W. Eugene Smith project in Pittsburgh, and doing a contemporary take? I ask, because you have proved that you have a very good sense of hard industrial space (in your street work - a far cry from the forest) but I have to confess to knowing very little about the size of Pa. and so the logistics may be crazy.

Nonetheless, that would give some dedicated guy a huge challenge to take onboard.

Rob
I wish this could be a commission and would be fun too...It's about a six hour drive, not impossible but would require major planning and revenue.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #1876 on: July 28, 2018, 04:12:27 pm »

I wish this could be a commission and would be fun too...It's about a six hour drive, not impossible but would require major planning and revenue.

Peter

I instantly see the hitch! About the only way - commission aside - that could make sense is by doing it in a spare time way: a bit at a time when nothing paying is around.

It would be a great gig for some cat living in that city...

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #1877 on: July 28, 2018, 08:37:50 pm »

Re-documenting my geetars for insurance and legal stuff. Here's a pair of '50s classics: a Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins and a Gibson ES-350T. This version of the 6120 is associated not so much with Chet but rather Duane Eddy, who recorded all his late '50s–60s hits & albums with it. Mine is from the same year as Eddy's (1957) but a few production runs earlier. The ES-350T is the Chuck Berry guitar. He used it for pretty much everything of note he ever recorded. This one is from 1958 and features a set of Gibson's highly regarded Patent Applied For (PAF) humbucking pickups. It also features some non-standard appointments, including a fancily-bound ebony fingerboard from the upscale Byrdland model and a Bigsby vibrato tailpiece. But the most important non-standard appointment is the piece of black foam I threaded between the strings behind the bridge to dampen weird sympathetic string resonances.  :)

-Dave-

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1878 on: July 28, 2018, 11:56:17 pm »

Indirectly, Eric.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2017/03/28/Lyme-disease-surge-in-Pittsburgh-Western-Pennsylvania-more-acorns-more-mice-carriers/stories/201703210143
Thanks for that link, Slobodan. I was unaware of the acorn link. My son had Lyme disease, which was not properly diagnosed for several years, which meant that the eventual treatment was long and slow.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #1879 on: July 29, 2018, 09:15:53 am »

I instantly see the hitch! About the only way - commission aside - that could make sense is by doing it in a spare time way: a bit at a time when nothing paying is around.

It would be a great gig for some cat living in that city...

Rob

My thoughts too...

Peter
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 184   Go Up