Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on use of wide angle lens for indoor event  (Read 2399 times)

Postman5

Thoughts on use of wide angle lens for indoor event
« on: June 29, 2017, 09:21:20 pm »

I am shooting an indoor event in a few weeks and will have minimal room to operate. I have a full-frame camera and a lens collection that goes down to 24mm. I would love to shoot the whole think with my 50mm 1.4 but expect that I won't be able to get a lot of the small group shots that will present themselves. In the past I sometimes find that 24mm is still not enough in a residential home setting with a bunch of people moving around. I was thinking about renting a 15-35mm zoom to allow me to fit everything in the shot. I hope to use it in a way where I am not right on top of people but within the constraints of the space. Does anyone have any advice or feedback on this approach? Does the distortion ruin the benefit?

charles.woodrich

Re: Thoughts on use of wide angle lens for indoor event
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:17:11 pm »

The Voigtlander 15MM is a nice sharp little lens.  Set it to f8 and everything within 3ft will be in focus.  Crop your images to taste.

stever

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:18:39 am »

for an event i think renting a 15 or 16-35 is a good plan - but do a little practice shooting people ahead of time as you can make some very unflattering things happen with a superwide

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 04:28:47 am »

for an event i think renting a 15 or 16-35 is a good plan - but do a little practice shooting people ahead of time as you can make some very unflattering things happen with a superwide

Good advice!

mshea

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:40:02 pm »

Well yeah, if you get in close to catch groups in conversation, you'll have lots of stretched heads. Don't go with an f/4 16 - 35; it's liable to search just a bit longer before locking focus and you may lose that perfect split season reaction.

Merrill

JoachimStrobel

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 02:21:59 am »

For many years I shot good family and indoor crowd photos with my Canon FD 17/4. Recently I switched to the Sony 16-35/4, anticipating the same low distortion for off-centre face shots. I am disappointed, the Canon lens was better in that (even after Dxoing the Sony). So I am just saying: Whatever you rent, try it out on people first and in case of a zoom, check for the widest enjoyable setting. I also noticed that an EVF reaches its resolution limit for judging focus in UWA corners and wildly swinging the camera for a focus-hold irritates people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up