Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 Help for new user  (Read 2656 times)

ccunha

C1 Help for new user
« on: June 29, 2017, 12:30:20 am »

I am an amateur photographer who wants to study and use  C1 (good price for SONY user).
Like all multimedia users, I take pictures with my cameras (A6500 and A6000- Raw and JPEG), some with smartphones (JPEG) and some movie clips.
Until then, I used only JPEG and PICASA to edit photos (post-processing) with about 35000 photos taken.

Now I want to improve my editions and in this last trip I started to use JPEGS + RAW.
All my photos are in Windows folders grouped by subject (I have no date control) and I regularly backup to a Network disk.
The movies unfortunately I have to edit in a separate application (only cuts and merges).

I took about 3000 duplicate photos on this trip (Raw + Jpegs) and I would like to select, with stars, 3 types of photos (saving in albuns): the ones I want to delete from the disk and the catalog (about 1000), the ones I will edit and keep on the disc as references (about 1700), and the best ones (about 300) that I will  edit/ save on disk and in Google Photos to share, search and access everywhere. I rarely print any photos.
I see that the photos processed in the camera (JPEG) are often better than the unprocessed RAW copy.

I studied a little and now I will start using C1 Pro and I have some basic questions that I would ask for help from this forum:

1. Should I also upload JPEG photos to the C1 catalog to simplify selection and editing (Crop and Exposure mostly)?

2. When loading RAW photos to C1 should I apply Auto or some style / preset? Which one?

3. Is there any way to watch and select movies in C1 using stars?

4. Any suggestions to change my Workflow, which was based on PICASA?

Thank you for the advise.
Carlos

Jimmy D Uptain

Re: C1 Help for new user
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 08:04:20 am »

It's funny. If memory serves me correctly I used Picasa before the switch to C1, but that was quite a long time ago. And like you I shot jpeg, except it was with a Pentax point and shoot.

First, keep the jpegs you have, but from this point forward, shoot in raw only. C1 is wasted on jpegs other than cataloging the images you already have.
It is a raw editor and a very good one at that. Jpegs are a waste of space if you have their raw counterparts.If you need a jpeg, it's easy to just create one from the raw image.

I'm just now delving into the movies. All I know is that it can read and play .mov files. I would think you could rate them.

If my answers aren't very clear, its lack of coffee this morning :). That, I'm trying to remedy at this moment. Welcome to the C1 world.

scyth

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:49:26 am »

you might want to cull raw files using www.fastrawviewer.com before importing in C1 ... FRV works faster - you can rate there

ccunha

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 02:19:25 pm »

Thank you for the replies and tips for fast processing.
I will try them.
I see it is best to use only Raws.

Is there a way to load the RAW files to the C1 catalog at least with the same visual quality as the original JPEGs  processed from the camera?

Thanks
Carlos

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 07:35:12 pm »

Thank you for the replies and tips for fast processing.
I will try them.
I see it is best to use only Raws.

Is there a way to load the RAW files to the C1 catalog at least with the same visual quality as the original JPEGs  processed from the camera?

Thanks
Carlos

You could try and mimic what your camera does, then save those settings as a style. But honestly, you are putting restrictions on yourself.

Do an experiment. If it's possible with your camera, shoot raw+jpeg. I think you will find although the jpeg may "pop" a little more, the raw image will allow you more creative control.

It can be very intimidating at first, but you will be amazed at your own creativity. Eventually, you may find as I did, in-camera processing too limiting.

ccunha

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 06:51:27 pm »

I thank everyone.
From what I understand there are 4 alternatives to import photos in greater quantity for Capture One:

1. Make a pre-selection using the program "Fastrawviewer";

2. Import the photos to the C1 without any option (do not know how it will be?);

3. Import the photos with the Auto option set (possibly gives a general improvement without anything specific - for those who are starting it should be better than option 2);

4. Import Raw Photos with a Style:
    A. Public released Style - I do not know which would be better but I like colorful and slightly vibrant photos;
    B. Personal Style - Should be the best option for those who master the software (not my case);

For the most experienced I ask: how do you usually do this photo importation to the C1?

Thank you.
Carlos

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 08:59:39 pm »

I import using the ICC profile that C1 chooses, and a linear curve. That's pretty much starting at zero, but that's the way I like it.

It will look flat, dull and a lot of times a little under-exposed. But it gives me the most room to work with.

Personally, I have used "Fast Raw Viewer" and although it gives you a decent representation of the file, It doesn't give you a representation of the way C1 will see it or how much C1 can salvage. At least this was my experience.

I use Photo Mechanic for the first cull, but to be honest, I could easily get by with C1. My first cull process consists of culling horrifically under/over exposed images, out of focus, and just plain bad photos. If I have five shots of the same image, it's great for that too. But again C1 can do this easily, although slower.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 06:53:14 am »

I thank everyone.
From what I understand there are 4 alternatives to import photos in greater quantity for Capture One:

1. Make a pre-selection using the program "Fastrawviewer";

2. Import the photos to the C1 without any option (do not know how it will be?);

3. Import the photos with the Auto option set (possibly gives a general improvement without anything specific - for those who are starting it should be better than option 2);

4. Import Raw Photos with a Style:
    A. Public released Style - I do not know which would be better but I like colorful and slightly vibrant photos;
    B. Personal Style - Should be the best option for those who master the software (not my case);

For the most experienced I ask: how do you usually do this photo importation to the C1?

Hi Carlos,

Don't worry. Whatever method you use, a Raw conversion can be changed at a later date without loss of the originally captured information. So when you find in practice that you tend to make the same changes to all files, then just capture those changes in a Style, and re-apply that to earlier Raw files for a fresh start, and use it as a default for future imports.

Using e.g. Auto exposure can help get you more uniform starting points, but nothing is definitive in a non-destructive Raw conversion, you can still change the settings afterward on a per-file situation starting again with the originally captured data.

That also means that any future improvements in the Raw conversion algorithms can be retroactively applied to old files, and breathe new life into those shots (as happened when Capture One went from version 6 to 7, and demosaicing improved significantly, and later versions gained improved tools like sharpening, resampling, and Color/Luminosity adjustments).

I start importing with a linear tone curve (instead of a film curve) adjustment in a Style that I apply to all new imports, and apply a few other settings that I prefer for my specific cameras, like no noise reduction except for the lowest amount of color noise (because I usually shoot at the lowest ISOs for maximum Dynamic Range with proper exposure).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:07:39 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

James R

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 02:01:20 am »

Checkout (subscribe) David Glover's C1Pro webinars on YouTube.  Very helpful to new and experienced users. 

ccunha

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 10:12:15 am »

Thank you.
I inscribe in this youtube channel
Pages: [1]   Go Up