Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are the previews of Capture One Pro of such low quality?  (Read 7471 times)

Dave Rosser

• My Website
Re: Why are the previews of Capture One Pro of such low quality?
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »

I've just joined LL just because I have this same issue. It's extremely frustrating, and
everything is exactly like what 'The View' is saying. Pictures in Capture One preview look like, well, crap.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so

The first one is a screenshot of me working in capture one; it also shows the preview size (and yes, I've regenerated the preview many times).

http://scenicdesktops.com/test/Capture1preview.png

The other picture is the output at 2160 x 1440.

http://scenicdesktops.com/test/Output.png

Look at the difference between them. It's obvious. I'm a stubborn man, but this is honestly ticking me off. Can anyone help with this?
You have -25 clarity set, is this your normal setting? What does the pre-view look like with the default 0 setting?

Dave

The View

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 03:35:59 AM »

Tom Fitzgerald has just published a suggested workaround for this

http://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2017/9/capture-ones-preview-problem-and-how-to-get-around-it

Don't have time to try it right now, and it may well be something already suggested, but just in case it helps anyone.

Graham

This doesn't make the preview as good as the output, but the output as bad as the preview.

Also, the example in the blog is doesn't show the extent of the problem with the blurry preview. It doesn't show the loss of sharpness, the incorrect regional contrast, and that the Capture One Preview is just a bullshit preview that has nothing to do with the output.

Would the output be as bad as the preview, nobody would use C1.

You adjust according to the preview, you are flying blind.

My "fix" is that I only use minimal adjustments. Nothing that really makes a esthetic decision. I just create a neutral good start with a slight inclination towards where I want to go.

This way, of course, I cannot use most of the tools offered by C1.

But then, what use are tools, if you don't see how they work but get some fake preview instead.

I can't believe Phase One stacks feature upon feature - and they are all built on sand of a blatantly false preview that is useless to do proper adjustments.
Deserts, Cities, Woods, Faces - View of the World.

myotis

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2017, 02:56:57 PM »

This doesn't make the preview as good as the output, but the output as bad as the preview.

Ah, well, thought it was worth passing on, sorry it didn't help.

Graham

The View

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2017, 07:49:07 PM »

Ah, well, thought it was worth passing on, sorry it didn't help.

Graham

You can't work around a key software weakness.

Fixing the low quality preview problem is a must for Capture One 11.

Just like bringing the catalog up to standards - to what the Lightroom catalog can do.

More features (which you usually get in upgrades) are not necessary. The basic functions need to be great.

The View

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2017, 02:47:32 AM »

Well, I did some additional research and could not find a single instance where I see a plan by Phase One to improve on this deadly failure of bad previews.

Basically, all the editing tools are worthless with a low quality, fuzzy preview.

I also checked colors versus Canon's DPP (unsophisticated interface, no database) and the detail was excellent there. In some cases, DPP created better colors our of the box.

Because of this problem - I can't even see my RAW collections decently, because the preview quality is so bad, I am considering letting C1 go. I am using Capture One Pro 9, and from what I heard from others, Capture One Pro 10 is just as bad. Capture One Pro 11 - I have little hope Phase One will do something about this deadly fault. They don't seem to care that you can't preview your images properly and can't see what you are doing when adjusting them.

I'm very frustrated with this disfuncational piece of software.

Walter Rowe

• WalterRowe.com
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2017, 07:08:19 AM »

How many have opened cases with Phase One about this issue? In my experience the squeaky wheel gets the grease with them. Some very significant performance and memory management issues were addressed in 10.1 that I had complained about since 8.3. I am a heavy catalog user (58,000 images and counting) and this was a very significant issue for me. With enough detailed evidence and complaints they addressed it. There seems to be enough evidence for preview quality issues. Maybe what they need are open cases from enough people to get their attention?
Walter Rowe

The View

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »

How many have opened cases with Phase One about this issue? In my experience the squeaky wheel gets the grease with them. Some very significant performance and memory management issues were addressed in 10.1 that I had complained about since 8.3. I am a heavy catalog user (58,000 images and counting) and this was a very significant issue for me. With enough detailed evidence and complaints they addressed it. There seems to be enough evidence for preview quality issues. Maybe what they need are open cases from enough people to get their attention?

Yes, it's a good idea.

I am currently reviewing if I still like Capture One for other reasons, too (even though the bad preview issue is a total killer already): I feel that the basic adjustment looks overprocessed.

That was OK until now, but the trend in photography is going towards less and less post processing, almost towards a film-like image.

And the overly punchy processing of C1 isn't even good for fashion photography any more. I have played with reducing contrast, detail, microcontrast, sharpening... without getting where I wanted. I'll likely start another thread on that issue.

DPP, while a totally unsophisticated app, seems to have a very natural and neutral processing that doesn't push you into any direction.

But, anyway, I am totally fed up with the horrible preview and I'm equally fed up with the catalog that doesn't even match what Lightroom 1 showed up with almost ten years ago.

IanSeward

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2017, 09:17:35 AM »

Yes, it's a good idea.

I am currently reviewing if I still like Capture One for other reasons, too (even though the bad preview issue is a total killer already): I feel that the basic adjustment looks overprocessed.

That was OK until now, but the trend in photography is going towards less and less post processing, almost towards a film-like image.

And the overly punchy processing of C1 isn't even good for fashion photography any more. I have played with reducing contrast, detail, microcontrast, sharpening... without getting where I wanted. I'll likely start another thread on that issue.

DPP, while a totally unsophisticated app, seems to have a very natural and neutral processing that doesn't push you into any direction.

But, anyway, I am totally fed up with the horrible preview and I'm equally fed up with the catalog that doesn't even match what Lightroom 1 showed up with almost ten years ago.

Have you tried using the linear response curve in place of auto?
This will give you the starting point you appear to want.

Ian
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up