Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: create variants from multiple images? JUST NOT GETTING IT  (Read 3340 times)

fmiller

create variants from multiple images? JUST NOT GETTING IT
« on: June 26, 2017, 05:35:40 pm »

Hi!

I have a body of images, and would like to see how they look in color and in bw.

In LR, it would just be a matter of making virtual copies.

I can make variants, but so far can only do them one at a time.

Since there's over 300 I'd like to look at, is there a way to make b/w variants of several images at once (without converting the 'originals')???

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:04:25 pm by fmiller »

HCS

Re: create variants from multiple images?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:14:55 am »

I believe you can select the ones you want a variant of and then create the variant. You will get all variants at one time.

May need the setting "Edit - Edit all selected variants" switched on though.
Hans Cremers

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 11:25:59 am »

I believe you can select the ones you want a variant of and then create the variant. You will get all variants at one time.

May need the setting "Edit - Edit all selected variants" switched on though.

Yes, that's correct. Creating variants from multiple other variants is done with 1 mouse click. Converting those new variants to e.g. Black and White, would then require to copy the Black and White settings from one variant to all the variants one desires (which can then also be done with one click after first selecting the multiple variants to be affected).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 02:40:04 pm »

...aaand don't forget if you want to select all Variants in the same position, i.e [1], [2], [3]....

Right click on one image, and choose Select by Same>Variant position.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 03:53:54 pm »

...aaand don't forget if you want to select all Variants in the same position, i.e [1], [2], [3]....

Right click on one image, and choose Select by Same>Variant position.

Thanks for adding that, David.

I didn't know that. It was the missing bit for quick selection of just the new variants.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

fmiller

I guess I just don't get it...
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 07:04:02 pm »

Thanks everyone for your help here...

... but I still cant figure out how to do what I'm trying to do... and I think I'm probably missing something very obvious.

What I want, just to clarify, is to have two collections containing the same images. One collection has the images converted to B/W, the other would keep it all in color.

So I've been trying to translate what I'd do in LR to Cap1 but it doesn't work.

I make new variants of everything, put them into a new collection, convert one to b/w, copy and apply the adjustments, and everything in the collection is great.

EXCEPT that the color collection is now also in b/w.... in LR they behave as separate files and I assume that's the idea here.

Is it because I'm putting the images into a separate collection?
Is it because I'm just a bad person?

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
Re: create variants from multiple images? JUST NOT GETTING IT
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 12:11:59 am »

It tried what you are trying to do and if you create new Variant and make it B&W it should be Variant 2. If you then create an Collection Album and put either Variant in it you will see both the color and B&W. Since they are the same physical image.

If you create a Collection Smart Album and base it on the Star Rating, Color Rating, Keyword or other criteria you will be good to go. You won't even have to put the images in the album. The Smart Album will do that for you.

Hope that will help.

Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

fmiller

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 02:35:54 pm »

OK that does help - thanks!

But then - can I make a collection with JUST the variants?

I'd like to have the same images in two different collections - one that is ALL b/w and the other all color...

I don't think I really made that clear in my first post.

Is that possible, or does the original go wherever the variant goes....?

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 08:38:19 pm »

There may be other ways to do this but I managed to do what you want to do this way.

Select the images you want to be in Color and B&W and be in individual collections. Give them the color of Orange.
Leaving them selected "Image New Variant". The new Variants will be created and will be selected.
Go to the B&W tool and Enable Black and White. The main selected Primary Variant will be outlined in a bold white outline and it will be B&W.
Hold the Shift key down and click the Double Arrow and you will see all the new Variants be converted to B&W.
Leaving them selected, Give them a color of Red.

So your color images will be color of orange and the b&w images will be color red.

Now to get them into collections go to the Library Tool / Session Albums. Here you will create the Collections

Create a Smart Album and name it Color and in the Search criteria select Color Equals Red.
Create a Smart Album and name it B&W and in the Search criteria select Color Equal Orange.

Now you have the images separated into collections Color and B&W. You will notice all the color images have a 1 in the upper right corner meaning they are the first set of variants and the B&W images have a 2 in the upper right corner meaning they are the second set of variants.

You can modify these images independently and one will not effect the other. There is only one original physical file so you are not creating more images. Just putting the changes in the Catalog and it is completely non distractive.

Of course you can choose different Colors or use Star ratings for your Smart Albums if you wish.

Let us know if this doesn't work for you or if you need more information.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver
Pages: [1]   Go Up