Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss Otus Questions ... honest answers, please.  (Read 14440 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Zeiss Otus Questions ... honest answers, please.
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2017, 11:45:06 am »

Hi Jim,

That is an interesting theory. I can figure that many of today's lenses could be more fragile than the older ones, as they need focusing elements that move very fast.

Best regards
Erik

I respect and admire Lloyd. His and my methods are quite different, and we often arrive at the same conclusions. Sometimes we don't. Our experiences with the GFX seem to have been immensely different. Here's an example. He has dinged the camera for difficulty in manual focusing; I have discovered and published a workaround that lets me focus more accurately than I can with the a7RII, and far more accurately than I can with the D810, which leaks peaking. (BTW, I have used an external monitor on the D810 to add peaking and that works well, but is cumbersome.)

Both Lloyd and I have found difficulties with AF on some Fuji lenses at some apertures. We have the same opinion of the Fuji (and anyone's for that matter, in at least my case) focus by wire system.

I suspect that Lloyd's lens was damaged in shipment. I also suspect that the 110/2 is more fragile than most. When you roll the lens end to end, you can feel something heavy shift inside. I think that is probably the lens elements that are moved to focus the lens. I suspect that the lens uses a VCA for focusing and does not park the elements when the camera is turned off. If my guesses are right, this lens will need to be handled with care.

Jim
Erik Kaffehr

RobertJ

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2017, 08:02:00 pm »

Thanks Jim. 

I've subscribed to Lloyd in the past, but lately his blog seems like one complaint after another, which I suppose is actually a good thing?... :)

hogloff

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2017, 08:18:23 pm »

Thanks Jim. 

I've subscribed to Lloyd in the past, but lately his blog seems like one complaint after another, which I suppose is actually a good thing?... :)

Yes and no. Complaints...especially sensationalized one's bring site clicks which brings in more moola. If there was nothing to complain about, web traffic would halt...drying up the money. I'm highly skeptical from people that make money from what they review...for obvious reasons.

I subscribe to the rent...shoot normally...and evaluate yourself.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2017, 08:12:49 am »

Thanks Jim. 

When you read his posts on a regular basis you know what to read in them.
He will tell you nothing on autofocus for instance, and at some points he is very sensitive- at the basic of things.
Still he comes up with some real issues that i would never have discovered so quickly.

But in a larger scheme, like LuLa- he started in the beginning of the digital era.
In that time there was a lot to complain. At the moment however cameras and lenses are so much better, that we start complaining about little differences- like in the analogue era.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up