Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of toys/ props in commercial shoot  (Read 2649 times)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Use of toys/ props in commercial shoot
« on: June 25, 2017, 05:04:57 pm »

I am working on a project for lifestyle furniture shoot and room set design must include toys.
I am looking to simplify and minimize the logistics of the project, e.g.  licensing of props.

Is there a good source of copyright-free toy props that could be used for a commercial shoot?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:00:05 pm by MichaelEzra »

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
Re: Use of toys/ props in commercial shoot
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:56:44 am »

What part of the country are you in? The easiest route would probably be to hire a prop stylist who can handle all of these needs.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 08:26:06 am »

Hi Doug, I am in New York. I called prop rental houses and they said that they only clear from copyrights props which they built themselves... and apparently noone is asking about the copyrights when renting props, considering they are not renting highly visible brands - e.g. Mickey mouse, etc. Is this really how it is normally handled in the industry? I am considering to simply add a provision in the contract that it is client's responsibility to obtain necessary releases.

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 08:51:08 am »

I don't have enough experience with it to say, "This is how it's done," in broad strokes, but I do know many/most of my commercial clients handle it on their end, or I retouch out logos/recognizable brands in post. Maybe check with Wonderful Machine and see if they can recommend someone who can help?

Zave Smith

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 10:16:39 am »

I am not a lawyer.  But I have made my living mainly shooting commercial lifestyle for the last thirty years including a lot with kids.  As long as you remove any logos and stay away from Disney stuff, you won't have a problem though once I had to change to color of a John Deer toy wagon since the John Deer Green was trademarked.

The problem with kid stuff is that often there are logos all over the place and at times they can be very hard to retouched out.

Sincerely,

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up