Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visitor from Greenland  (Read 1585 times)

churly

Visitor from Greenland
« on: June 25, 2017, 12:55:45 pm »

A fair sized chuck of ice that looks even bigger from the kayaker's point of view.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Visitor from Greenland
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:57:49 am »

Nice.

churly

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 12:34:16 pm »

Thanks for having a look Paulo.  The objective of this shot when I made it was to cause the viewer to have to jump back and forth between the two objects to emphasis comparison between them.  I suspect the image is not engaging enough to make that work.  I am looking at ways to put more emotional content into landscapes and it is hard to assess the response of others.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

francois

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:27:24 am »

Thanks for having a look Paulo.  The objective of this shot when I made it was to cause the viewer to have to jump back and forth between the two objects to emphasis comparison between them.  I suspect the image is not engaging enough to make that work.  I am looking at ways to put more emotional content into landscapes and it is hard to assess the response of others.
Chuck

I find it quite good and the difference of scale between the berg and the kayakers is stunning. I'm not sure but with more room on the left and the right sides of the frame, the effect may be more pronounced.
Francois

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 02:53:05 am »

The objective of this shot when I made it was to cause the viewer to have to jump back and forth between the two objects to emphasis comparison between them.
I am looking at ways to put more emotional content into landscapes and it is hard to assess the response of others.
Chuck
I see what you mean, but - honestly - without the words I wouldn't have understood. Of course you cannot change this, but I wonder whether it would be different if the boat would have been nearer the ice?
Also, as the difference in scale is the theme somehow, the Iceberg could be even bigger in the frame. But thats all "what would be if" and it's pointless as you cannot change the actual scene, I just think about your (interesting) objective.

-- f.

churly

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 05:32:06 pm »

I see what you mean, but - honestly - without the words I wouldn't have understood. Of course you cannot change this, but I wonder whether it would be different if the boat would have been nearer the ice?
Also, as the difference in scale is the theme somehow, the Iceberg could be even bigger in the frame. But thats all "what would be if" and it's pointless as you cannot change the actual scene, I just think about your (interesting) objective.

-- f.

Thanks for the feedback.  If it doesn't make it with out the explanation then it doesn't make it.  As I indicated, I have been trying out some different viewpoints.  Not all experiments give favorable results.  The feedback on the forum is a good (not perfect) way of testing ideas.  Thanks again for your feedback!
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:42:00 pm »

The difference in size is quite amazing.  After reading what you're trying to convey it seems like having the kayak more in the foreground so that your eyes are drawn to it first, then "wow" and look at that huge iceberg in the background (or behind and to one side) would start the process you are talking about.  Of course, that perspective may not have been available to you at the time!
John
Flickr
Pages: [1]   Go Up