Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise in PS/ None in LR  (Read 3048 times)

RMW

Noise in PS/ None in LR
« on: June 24, 2017, 02:49:41 pm »

Hello All.
I'm baffled by a seeming incongruity between seeing no noise in an image in LR and seeing noise in the same image in PS. Starting with a raw image imported into LR, I  switched it to B&W, made a few simple edits, including mild lightening of the darker tones and then sent it to PS. In PS it shows some noise in the shadows.
What can account for this ?
The iMac is running the latest updates from Apple and Adobe and the monitor has just been freshly calibrated.The file was made on a Canon G10. ISO 100. f6. 1/250s.
Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Richard

rdonson

Re: Noise in PS/ None in LR
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 07:46:41 pm »

When you send the image from Lr to PS what are the settings you're using?  Do you sent it as a 16 bit TIFF in ProPhoto?  Are you sending PS a JPEG?
Regards,
Ron

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:24:57 pm »

Would be helpful to include some screenshots, comparing 100% views of the same detail between the two programs.

EDIT: I did the same, took a 100 ISO Canon G10 file and the only thing I did was to add +40 Shadows. I could not see any difference in noise.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:43:53 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

jisner

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:23:01 pm »

...including mild lightening of the darker tones

That's where the noise came from.  The signal-to-noise ratio is lowest in the shadows.  When you increase exposure in post, you amplify the noise.  Deepest shadows can be almost pure noise at high ISO on all but the most expensive cameras.

If possible, expose to the right to maximize signal-to-noise ration.  In post, you'll be DECREASING exposure, rather than increasing. 

Also, be sure to do noise reduction in conjunction with capture sharpening in the Lightroom detail panel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up