Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filter by shutterspeed?  (Read 3101 times)

gchappel

Filter by shutterspeed?
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:24:56 pm »

Newbee to capture one.
I do a lot of slow shutterspeed blurs. 
Is there a way to filter/search based on shutterspeed?
Easy as pie to do in lightroom.
When I try to build a filter in Capture One for shutterspeed it will not let me enter a small number.
I am trying to filter out shots at 1/30th of a second or less.  I have tried 1/30,  0.33, 0.5 etc. 
Probably me being slow and dumb, but how do we enter shutterspeed here?
Thanks
Gary

Dave Rosser

• My Website
Re: Filter by shutterspeed?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:26:06 pm »

Newbee to capture one.
I do a lot of slow shutterspeed blurs. 
Is there a way to filter/search based on shutterspeed?
Easy as pie to do in lightroom.
When I try to build a filter in Capture One for shutterspeed it will not let me enter a small number.
I am trying to filter out shots at 1/30th of a second or less.  I have tried 1/30,  0.33, 0.5 etc. 
Probably me being slow and dumb, but how do we enter shutterspeed here?
Thanks
Gary
As far as I can see yet another bug, the metadata field for shutter speed has for instance a speed of 1/640 s but you cannot enter this in the filter  >:(
If anyone has an answer I would also like to know.  The only thing you could do is raise the problem direct with Phase One - they do respond promptly.

gchappel

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:14:02 am »

As far as I can see yet another bug, the metadata field for shutter speed has for instance a speed of 1/640 s but you cannot enter this in the filter  >:(
If anyone has an answer I would also like to know.  The only thing you could do is raise the problem direct with Phase One - they do respond promptly.

Thanks I did write them, will see if I get a response.
Not a great start for a new to me product.
The way I shoot I need to be able to filter large groups of images by shutterspeed.
I like the C1 conversions- but I need some basic file managment for this to work.
Thanks
Gary

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 12:03:07 pm »

Hi Dave,

That's not a bug, (although it might bug you, and the OP ;) ). It apparently is not a feature that many have requested.

EDIT Advanced Search does allow to select based on Shutter Speed (Ranges).

While a workaround for those who do need it, it is "relatively" trivial to add a pre-made keyword list to a session (or catalog) that allows selecting the speed from that list with one mouse click. I do understand, it's yet another mouse-click, but it can be applied to a preselection of multiple images at the same time.

Just make a simple UTF-8 text file:

Shutterspeed
    1 s
    1/3 s
    1/5 s
    1/8 s
etc.

Just use a simple text editor and create a tab delimited (for each sublevel) file for all the relevant speeds (e.g. only long exposure times, or short ones). You can then select values from your custom keyword list after you add it to the session/catalog.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. Don't know why it didn't show up earlier, but now I can Search (Advanced Search) on Shutterspeed.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 03:56:42 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

montylparker

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 03:10:28 pm »

Use decimal  .0015625   ..... ( so, Shutter speed is greater than .0015624 and Shutter speed is less than .0015626 )

TommyWeir

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 03:30:18 pm »

That's pretty irritating.  Should be a popup menu.

But it works if you put in the decimal as Monty said .004 for 1/250 etc.

Best option might be to work out the decimals and set up smart folders for each.  If it's for a Catalog you'd only have to do it once.   For a Session you could add them and make it a template for future sessions.   A workaround.   Surprising you have to do it.

gchappel

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 09:51:06 pm »

At least on my machine- win7, Capture 10.1.2
I have tried making a smart collection.
Shutter speed is less than 0.3 or 0.5 selects nothing- no images although I have many in the present collection that are slower.   
I Tried .0015625 is less than or equal to,     nothing. 
It is probably me- I am new to this program- but the decimal does not work on my system. 
I will try making a text file- although I have no idea how to add a keyword list to the catalog-still learning.
Gary

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 07:19:08 am »

At least on my machine- win7, Capture 10.1.2
I have tried making a smart collection.
Shutter speed is less than 0.3 or 0.5 selects nothing- no images although I have many in the present collection that are slower.   
I Tried .0015625 is less than or equal to,     nothing. 
It is probably me- I am new to this program- but the decimal does not work on my system.

I've noticed that C1 does not accept leading '0's or decimal points, so instead of typing .125 or 0.125 (for 1/8 s), type 125 then arrow back to the beginning and insert a decimal point. If that doesn't work, not sure, but depending on your locale, you might try a decimal comma instead of a point?

I will try making a text file- although I have no idea how to add a keyword list to the catalog-still learning.

Here's some more info about keywording which is always useful to know about to achieve special things. Version 10 is very similar to the version shown, with some enhancements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKZsbwIWHo4

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

TommyWeir

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 07:38:17 am »

This is what I have for faster than 1/250.   I just put in .004 and it seems to have added in quite a bit more, eh, precision. 

I do hope someone from Phase One is looking here, this is far from usable.   It did, just to say it, filter appropriately.

montylparker

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 05:01:46 pm »

Listen.....  It works fine if you .....   Match ALL

Shutter speed is faster than .0015624 

AND

Shutter speed is slower than .0015626

::)I

gchappel

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 06:40:00 pm »

Thanks to everyone's input.  This finally does work.
Shutter speed is greater than 0.0333 selects everything less than 1/30th of a second.
First- backwards to my way of thinking.  Shutter speed is greater than 0.0333 picks shutter speeds that are 1/30 or slower, in decimals that does make sense but seems backwards. 
To enter 0.033, I have to enter 33-- then arrow the cursor back to the beginning of the line and type in .0.  Bart, thanks for pointing that out- I would have never stumbled onto that bit of coding. 
Again, I am a newbie to this program.  Using it for all of a week.
I do really like the output, at least on the small amount of my work I have looked at.  I certainly have more control than in my lightroom workflow.  But, things like this filtering issue throw me for a loop.  What would take 2 seconds in lightroom took several days. 
I can see this can not be my catalog database system- which is a shame.  I would think that would be the easiest part.
Looks like I may have to run both lightroom and C1.
Thanks again for all the help and support.
I suspect I will have more questions as I learn
Gary

Pages: [1]   Go Up