Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: MR's Aptus Vs Phase musings  (Read 90121 times)

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
MR's Aptus Vs Phase musings
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2006, 03:48:42 pm »

Regarding the different MF camera systems, is there anyone using the RZ67 Pro II with a digital back?  It seems this was the best MF system ever made to a lot of pros, even better than Hassy V. 

I'm not using MF digital, but if I was about to make the transition, it would be very hard for me to choose between the Contax 645 or RZ67, even though, the Contax is WAY better for the smaller-than-645 chips we have now. 

Another thing - I find it quite sad that Hasselblad hasn't given Michael any backs to be tested. 

The Hassy/Imacon backs and the Leaf backs appeal to me the most, however, the Hassy backs are just so flexible with the I-Adapters that you screw on for whatever camera you're using.  Seems like a MUCH better system, and I hope Leaf and Phase start doing the same thing.  The thing is, I don't hear that much about Hassy backs at all.  Do they even compare to Phase and Leaf?  Why is there so little talk on the Hassy backs?  The only thing I hear about are the complete packages, like the H1D or the H2D.  I never read or hear anything regarding their stand-alone backs.  It seems in the case of stand-alone backs, Phase and Leaf get all the business.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76078\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

don't forget about sinar...their emotion75 has the same dalsa chip as the APtus75, has a small but very readable oled display, a 6gb buffer for fast shooting AND built in back-up! takes every camera via adapters (like the imacons) AND sinar has a trade in deal until end of september (7000$ for any digiback...there is a guy on ebay actually selling his back for 500$ and mentioning the deal) which brings the final cost down to 22.000$....sinar capture shop is a very good and mature software but mac only i believe....

sinar is also making a promotional demo tour right now..contact the nearest sinar dealer...

sinar has made digital backs for years, they have a lot of experience...just not a lot of market share here in the US...

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2006, 04:16:23 pm »

The Sinar eMotion-75 is the direction I'm thinking of!
I had my eyes set on the Aptus-75,but I like the added bonus (very readable oled display, a 6gb buffer for fast shooting AND built in back-up)
Also the battery pack sits nicely inside the back instead of dangling of the bottom.(Leaf)
My friend Rainer Viertlbock has been shooting with one and after ironing out the issues,
he is very happy with it.
He has been working together with Stephan Hass to correct the centrefold issue that most Dalsa
33 MB sensors have.

Sinar is now also in contact with Stephan.

It shows up more with shifting or tilting.

I think the eMotion will work nicely with the Rollei and Alpa XY systems.

If only if my bank manager would listen to me know!

Cheers,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

RobertJ

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2006, 06:13:57 pm »

Ah yes, forgot about the Sinars.

Isn't Calumet going to start carrying Sinar backs?

ronno

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2006, 07:17:50 pm »

py with it.
He has been working together with Stephan Hass to correct the centrefold issue that most Dalsa
33 MB sensors have.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76135\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Willem, what's this centerfold issue you are referring to?

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2006, 07:23:17 pm »

Ah yes, forgot about the Sinars.

Isn't Calumet going to start carrying Sinar backs?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

going there on thursday to have a demo with the sinar rep....calumet LA...

James Russell

« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2006, 10:19:06 am »

going there on thursday to have a demo with the sinar rep....calumet LA...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76161\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've never used a Sinar back and there is a lot of talk about Sinar and Rollei forming an alliance and offering a new camera.

All of this is good on paper, heck every camera is good on paper but it's the real world use where these things can fall down.

I'm sure the Sinar shoots a great file, but in the U.S. they have very little presence in dealers and manufacturer support.  

You also want a lot of options in shooting and more importantly post processing.  

Having the ability to natively work the .mos file in pscs, cs2, rd, lc10, v-8, lightroom etc. is like having multiple labs and multiple films.

I too wish my Aptus back (soon to be backs) would just snap on any camera made, but from what I'm told that is difficult and one of the reasons the 39mp blad is just coming out a year after it was introduced.

That's one of the reasons I went with the Contax because it gave me the most options with just one platform, using third party tilt shifts and adapters I can now mount lenses from 4 manufacturers, but continue to use the Zeiss lenses and a autofocus system.

Still, when the day comes and the Contax is not viable Leaf will change the mount for a fee, around $2,000 in the U.S. half of that in Europe.

Not cheap, but a lot less expensive than buying a new system.

But before putting the money down and commiting to a system I would want to know hwo good the service and after sale support is.

Sinar has to come a long way to match Phase and Leaf in this area.

JR

davidjay

• http://
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2006, 12:04:17 pm »

James, have you had the opportunity to directly compare the output of the Aptus 65 to the 22? I'm primarily interested in skin tones and texture. Also 400, 800?
Thank you,
David Jay
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up