Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using the New MacBook while traveling with basic 100MP image processing?  (Read 9243 times)

algrove

Not planning on tethering.

My current MBP has 3.5 gHz and 16 GB Ram. Never have had any issues with 100MP files with that machine.

The best MacBook offered has 1.4 gHz. That and the lack of better video card might be the killer even with 16GB Ram for 100MP images massaged in C1.

Still not sure yet.

vjbelle

I keep putting myself into this equation and come up puzzled.  Is the goal to completely replace your home based desktop and process the files in the field?  If so then a MBP or PC equivalent is a must.  If the goal is to check the files to the point that they are acceptable for further processing once back home then I think that a MBP is overkill and way too heavy.  Again...... this is how I look at this.  I don't process anything for keeps in the field and am much more concerned with the ability to check my files while on location to make sure I don't have to re-shoot.  I do all of my serious processing on my workstation.

Best of luck......

Victor

algrove

Victor

I do all my serious processing at home on my 31" monitor and Mac Pro.  This is for field use, but never thought I would tether with it and instead use the Zacuto for focus.

Sometimes I am gone for 4 weeks and as such the temptation to lightly process is present.  For sure I like to edit on the road with star ratings and possibly selects,but anything like big processing is not at all accomplished on the road.

2 lbs versus 3 lbs for what I can get on a MBP touch versus a MB becomes significant to me.

vjbelle

FMPOV everything you want to accomplish could be done on a Macbook.  Granted I would downsize my 3100 files to 20MP but at that size I could apply any and all filters, have layers and actually see what a finished file would look like when finally processed at home.  Its really important to calibrate the screen but once done its really fairly accurate as is my XPS. 

I also have a Zacuto but don't use it as I find it way too big and no better than my Peak which is light as a feather and fits into a pocket. 

I really recommend you try one..... you can always return it.

Victor

algrove

I also have a Zacuto but don't use it as I find it way too big and no better than my Peak which is light as a feather and fits into a pocket. 

I really recommend you try one..... you can always return it.

Victor
Victor
I see Peak makes many various models. Which one do you prefer? Do any have soft bases so they will not scratch the LCD?

Thanks.
Lou
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:56:58 am by algrove »

vjbelle

Lou..... its the Peak 4x Lupe NO 2038.  I like mine so much that I bought a spare.  It has a 2 inch square base which works great on the 3100.  They are a little difficult to find but they are/were on Ebay.  I protect the LCD on my 3100 with either TrueVue screen protector or ScreenPatronus.  The LCD screen should be made out of Gorilla glass but that's another issue.  The base is hard but its a great Lupe which I can't imagine you not liking..... and with the screen protectors I don't worry at all about the LCD.  I highly recommend that you get either of the Screen protectors I mentioned..... google either and it should get you to either of their sites.  I never order less than three......

Victor

jng

Lou..... its the Peak 4x Lupe NO 2038.  I like mine so much that I bought a spare.  It has a 2 inch square base which works great on the 3100.  They are a little difficult to find but they are/were on Ebay.  I protect the LCD on my 3100 with either TrueVue screen protector or ScreenPatronus.  The LCD screen should be made out of Gorilla glass but that's another issue.  The base is hard but its a great Lupe which I can't imagine you not liking..... and with the screen protectors I don't worry at all about the LCD.  I highly recommend that you get either of the Screen protectors I mentioned..... google either and it should get you to either of their sites.  I never order less than three......

Victor

I just checked and the Peak 2038 loupe is available on Amazon, at least in the U.S. I also echo the suggestion to use a screen protector from ScreenPatronus (which also does business under the Lexerd brand).

Now about that Macbook...

John

vjbelle

Lou..... Amazon does have it but at a highway robbery price.  Ebay has it - I got mine on Ebay - for $75.00.

Victor

algrove

I just checked and the Peak 2038 loupe is available on Amazon, at least in the U.S. I also echo the suggestion to use a screen protector from ScreenPatronus (which also does business under the Lexerd brand).

Now about that Macbook...

John

Thanks both John and Victor.

That 12" MacBook might just become a 13" MacBook Pro as it's, yes, 1 lb more, but at $50 less than a comparable 12" MacBook one gets a lot more computer in addition to the option of specing it much, much higher. Like 2.5 GHz i7 (versus the MacBook 1.4 i7) and 1TB SSD for about $500 more than the MacBook with 2 c-ports instead of one. Also the MacBook Pro RAM is slightly faster than the MacBook with 2133 versus 1866 for the MacBook. GPU is probably better on the MacBook Pro too.

If more c ports are desirable (me), then the MacBook Pro touch at 3.5 i7, 16, GPU 650, 4 c ports, 512 SSD is $600 More than the 12" MacBook, configurable to 1TB SSD which in today's world just might be needed.

jng

Thanks both John and Victor.

That 12" MacBook might just become a 13" MacBook Pro as it's, yes, 1 lb more, but at $50 less than a comparable 12" MacBook one gets a lot more computer in addition to the option of specing it much, much higher. Like 2.5 GHz i7 (versus the MacBook 1.4 i7) and 1TB SSD for about $500 more than the MacBook with 2 c-ports instead of one. Also the MacBook Pro RAM is slightly faster than the MacBook with 2133 versus 1866 for the MacBook. GPU is probably better on the MacBook Pro too.

If more c ports are desirable (me), then the MacBook Pro touch at 3.5 i7, 16, GPU 650, 4 c ports, 512 SSD is $600 More than the 12" MacBook, configurable to 1TB SSD which in today's world just might be needed.

I think you should go for it! (the Macbook Pro, that is) Good luck!

John

algrove

I think you should go for it! (the Macbook Pro, that is) Good luck!

John

Must ask. Do you work for Apple?  ;D

Just joking.

jng

Must ask. Do you work for Apple?  ;D

Just joking.

LOL. No, but perhaps I should have disclosed that I own Apple stock?  :P

algrove

LOL. No, but perhaps I should have disclosed that I own Apple stock?  :P

Ha, ha.  Sell or pare your holdings as I might not get the Pro.

Geods

A friend of mine purchased a 15" MacBook Pro a while back. He actually brought some files in to the Apple Store to look at, on the display. Perhaps you could do the same and do some simple edits with the software available to see how the MacBook vs the pro model does. You might be able to store the images on iCloud and just login to retrieve them..? Then you'd have a more educated decision to make. The only issue might be if the machines on display don't have the 16GB required.

BAB

I use a macbook pro 15" 2014 with 16gb on board it works fine with 100mb files. Weight is not a consideration for me. 32gb is the next goal for many reasons.
Here are the issues
The screen is not good enough for me to have the apps i need open and provide the space to see the image for critical PP.
You can make some big calculations and then wait while you MBP goes into full fan mode and crunches on the data but it gets frustrating after a few images.
A new MBP has nothing I would change for and I cant deal with less holes to plug things in.
A 3 image bracket plus 3 stitch pano will work fine but after that you really cant do major editing 1.5gb images really slow down 2gb are at a crawl and of course to add THE SLOWS TO EVERYTHING I DON'T WORK ON THE HD IN THE COMPUTER ONLY EXTERNAL DISKS SO IT GETS REALLY SLOW.

I believe Dell makes a laptop with 32gb that should run much faster than a MBP and maybe we can find a 64GB book which is what is really needed for speed but that will still leave the screen issue 15" just wont cut it for me!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

algrove

I use a macbook pro 15" 2014 with 16gb on board it works fine with 100mb files. Weight is not a consideration for me. 32gb is the next goal for many reasons.
Here are the issues
The screen is not good enough for me to have the apps i need open and provide the space to see the image for critical PP.
You can make some big calculations and then wait while you MBP goes into full fan mode and crunches on the data but it gets frustrating after a few images.
A new MBP has nothing I would change for and I cant deal with less holes to plug things in.
A 3 image bracket plus 3 stitch pano will work fine but after that you really cant do major editing 1.5gb images really slow down 2gb are at a crawl and of course to add THE SLOWS TO EVERYTHING I DON'T WORK ON THE HD IN THE COMPUTER ONLY EXTERNAL DISKS SO IT GETS REALLY SLOW.

I believe Dell makes a laptop with 32gb that should run much faster than a MBP and maybe we can find a 64GB book which is what is really needed for speed but that will still leave the screen issue 15" just wont cut it for me!

I have not checked. but I wonder if OWC now offers soemthing along the lines of 32GB Ram?

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net

I bought the latest Dell and hated it.  The Spec's were great and I use a PC tower for all of my editing, so I'm fine with Windows.  The user experience on the Dell, though, was just awful for me!  Went back to my 2015 MBP.  I think I'll pick up the new one to replace it.  The smaller units have half as many cores and C1P is great at utilizing all the cores, and I already wish it was faster on the laptop (even just for zooming into images)... so I can't imagine working with a lesser machine in the field.

IMHO,
CB

BAB

Cris I haven't had user experience with the Dell but I believe what your saying and I hate windows we have like ten of those machine in my business and we're constantly rolling with glitches. I just read this article and was thinking 32 gb for 100mb raws converted 600+MB files should run smoother with the extra power.

Read here.  https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macbook-pro-15-vs-dell-xps-15/
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

algrove

A friend of mine purchased a 15" MacBook Pro a while back. He actually brought some files in to the Apple Store to look at, on the display. Perhaps you could do the same and do some simple edits with the software available to see how the MacBook vs the pro model does. You might be able to store the images on iCloud and just login to retrieve them..? Then you'd have a more educated decision to make. The only issue might be if the machines on display don't have the 16GB required.

Good suggestion. The store closest to me closed on 25 March for remodeling and with no projected opening date which to me is very imprecise for Apple IMHO. Not even a guesstimate. I found another store perhaps an hour further away and when there I will try that approach. Might even be able to load each machine with a free trial of C1 to see how they behave with my images since whatever they come with from Apple will not help me much.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net

Cris I haven't had user experience with the Dell but I believe what your saying and I hate windows we have like ten of those machine in my business and we're constantly rolling with glitches. I just read this article and was thinking 32 gb for 100mb raws converted 600+MB files should run smoother with the extra power.

Read here.  https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/macbook-pro-15-vs-dell-xps-15/

Yeah, I thought 32gb RAM and the better GFX card would put the Dell over the top, but I wasn't seeing a real world workflow improvement.  The screen was beautiful, but I hated the physical feedback of both the keyboard and trackpad.  I had so much erratic input from the trackpad that I spent twice as much time hitting Cntrl-Z and trying to click on the correct button/object.  Also, although the screen was really beautiful, I couldn't successfully calibrate it with the X-Rite until I uninstalled some Dell display software.  The article says this machine tops out at $2k.  I maxed the thing out and it was $2800.  I really wanted to like that machine and kept it a little over a week.  :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up