Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manually calibrate a Surface Pro 4?  (Read 4231 times)

Redcrown

Manually calibrate a Surface Pro 4?
« on: June 22, 2017, 02:57:22 pm »

Anybody know how to manually calibrate a Surface Pro 4?

I got a new one, and it's farily good out of the box. Side-by-side with my Spectraview calibrated NEC 2490, colors are very close. Close enough for my intended use, but the Surface Pro is slightly "cooler".

There are no external controls for the screen, of course. Can't calibrate with my Spectraview puck and software, I assume. Google shows little or nothing about Surface Pro color adjustments. Some links lead to the DCCW.exe windows utility. It runs on the Surface Pro, and lets me adjust the Blues to more closely visually match the NEC 2490. But the settings don't stick. When I finish DCCW.exe, no changes are saved.

mito@ece.ubc.ca

Re: Manually calibrate a Surface Pro 4?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:32:39 pm »

I have a Surface Pro 4 and have calibrated it with several calibrators including the i1 Display Pro and Color Munki Photo. 

Just install the calibration software and run it with the calibration device on the screen to create profiles. Windows uses the last profile created but I use Xrite Display Profile to access and change profiles quickly as there are slight differences in the calibration profiles created, as the profiles depend on the calibration sensor used - choose the profile that best suits your needs.

The default Spectraview calibrator is a 3 channel colorimeter wheres the i1 Display pro and Color Munki Photo use a photo spectrometer with more color channels and hence leads to more accurate calibrations.   

The Surface Pro 4 has a supposedly sRGB compliant screen and calibration with fine tune the display for accurate colors.  Test reports indicate that the Surface Pro 4 has slightly higher sRGB compliance at 97& than your NEC2490 which is about 93% sRGB compliant

Hope that this helps.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 02:39:29 pm »

The Surface Pro 4 has a supposedly sRGB compliant screen and calibration with fine tune the display for accurate colors.  Test reports indicate that the Surface Pro 4 has slightly higher sRGB compliance at 97& than your NEC2490 which is about 93% sRGB compliant
What 'compliancy'? You mean percentage of sRGB color gamut?
You could have a device that, depending on the process used, reports 100% of sRGB gamut. Doesn't make that sRGB alone/per se.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 08:10:50 pm »

The default Spectraview calibrator is a 3 channel colorimeter wheres the i1 Display pro and Color Munki Photo use a photo spectrometer with more color channels and hence leads to more accurate calibrations.   

Sorry no - the  i1 Display pro and Color Munki Photo are also 3 channel colorimeters. They are quite good colorimeters for their price, but they are not spectrometers.

PhilipCummins

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 10:07:08 pm »

Anybody know how to manually calibrate a Surface Pro 4?

There are no external controls for the screen, of course. Can't calibrate with my Spectraview puck and software, I assume.

Hard to say - depends what hardware you have (SpectraView I (aka i1 Display 2) or II (aka i1 Display Pro)) but it may be possible you could run i1Profiler with your hardware device to build a profile for the screen. X-Rite made a special version of i1Profiler for i1 Display 2's but not sure if your license would cover it. Failing that OSS like ArgyllCMS or DisplayCAL should be able to access the SpectraView hardware to run the profiling process as well. Ideally, you would probably buy an i1 Display Pro to work with SpectraView software and i1Profiler to handle profiling requirements. It wouldn't get to the same level as SpectraView + the NEC (since it can program the hardware) but would be a reasonable intermediate step.

The ColorMunki Photo is a spectrophotometer so it's useful for doing printer profiling however the software has been neglected by X-Rite for a while now and lacks some useful features from i1Profiler (though, it's good for an enthusiast who has basic printer profiling requirements). If you wanted to do just monitors i1 Display Pro is preferable, otherwise get the i1 Photo Pro 2 for printer profiling (RGB only) which includes the newest spectrophotometer from X-Rite now (the i1 Pro 2). You would just need to make sure NEC SpectraView software is compatible with the hardware first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up