Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple's new Mac OS  (Read 8550 times)

Garnick

Of course; I was just thinking of the specific case of keeping an old 32-bit macOS app running within a future "pure 64-bit" versions of macOS, without the extra cost of VMWare or Parallels.

A case in point, as far as 32 vs 64 and current apps is concerned.  For many years I've been using the Silverfast scan software from Lasersoft Imaging.  I'm still using an old Epson Expression 1680 scanner for over sized prints that I need to reproduce.  The scanner glass on that machine is flush with the bed, therefore accommodating several bites of a print that are usually very easily reconstructed in PS.  I have scanned several 20x30 originals on that scanner, with a standard size sensor for a flatbed.  It's been a while, but I believe a 20x30 requires 8 bites.  I'm very thankful that Lasersoft is still supporting the 1680, which is a 32 bit app.  When I need that scanner I simply go to Info and choose the 32bit mode for the Silverfast app, as opposed to the "normal" 64bit selection for the Epson V750.  Hopefully Lasersoft will continue to support some of these older scanners for many years to come.  Otherwise I would have to pop for something like an Epson 12,000XL if I could still locate one.

Gary 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

A case in point, as far as 32 vs 64 and current apps is concerned.  For many years I've been using the Silverfast scan software from Lasersoft Imaging.  I'm still using an old Epson Expression 1680 scanner for over sized prints that I need to reproduce.  The scanner glass on that machine is flush with the bed, therefore accommodating several bites of a print that are usually very easily reconstructed in PS.  I have scanned several 20x30 originals on that scanner, with a standard size sensor for a flatbed.  It's been a while, but I believe a 20x30 requires 8 bites.  I'm very thankful that Lasersoft is still supporting the 1680, which is a 32 bit app.  When I need that scanner I simply go to Info and choose the 32bit mode for the Silverfast app, as opposed to the "normal" 64bit selection for the Epson V750.  Hopefully Lasersoft will continue to support some of these older scanners for many years to come.  Otherwise I would have to pop for something like an Epson 12,000XL if I could still locate one.

Gary

For your scanner model, according to Lasersoft Imaging, "Photoshop CS6 and higher on OS X are only supported if 64 bit drivers are available for the scanner". According to Epson the current scanner driver supporting El Capitan is ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.6 for Image Capture. It doesn't say whether this is a 32 or 64 bit driver, but if Epson says the scanner driver works with OSX 10.11.x and SilverFast supports this scanner model, perhaps you are OK - for now.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rdonson

Re: Apple's new Mac OS
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 10:04:31 am »

The restriction on 32 bit apps will likely happen over a 2 year period after the release of High Sierra according to Apple.  Since Apple revs the OS annually you likely won't even be running High Sierra when that day comes. 

The new file system has already been implemented on iOS devices and 32 bit apps continue to work but they won't after a period of time, likely 2 years.  This means that apps whose developers who have abandoned their apps will stop running.    I have some 32 bit apps on my iOS devices but they haven't been updated in years and I will simply delete them when the time comes.   
Regards,
Ron

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 03:58:24 pm »

There is also the option of cloning your current operating system/applications and booting off that drive when you want use the legacy 32-Bit programs.
Jay W Page

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 02:02:03 am »

Various thoughts on this:

•In computer-land, one must always be thinking and moving ahead, operating at least within a few years' timeframe of the latest offerings. Technology is not going to stand still, whether it really needs to move ahead or not. Linger too long, and you are locked out of using the latest software goodies. Of course, it all depends on what you are doing, maybe you can get away with legacy hardware/software (word processing? Image retouching? Video editing?)

That said, I don't want to be overtaken by the Internet Of Things and get my car or refridgerator hacked, so there are some areas where you might be wise to opt out.

•Re: Mac vs. Windows: Build a Hackintosh, use 3 different OS's on the same box if you want to. Keep the macOS license happy by using an old Apple G5 case ("branded Apple hardware"). Not that Apple seems to care anyway, so long as the App Store works ;-). I have a 2011-build i7 Hack that I bought from a friend and tweaked a bit (more RAM [16 gigs], updated from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, added Windows 10, gave up on Linux for now since I don't really need it, though it's nice to have the option). It's the fastest computer I have (even with HDD drives), though it's more of a fun box and not my main gig.

•Re: Old scanners. Use VueScan (www.hamrick.com). It supports all sorts of new and ancient scanners
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

graeme

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 06:06:09 am »

•Re: Old scanners. Use VueScan (www.hamrick.com). It supports all sorts of new and ancient scanners

+1. I run a 9 year old cheapo Canon using Vuescan & I can still use our Minolta slide scanner ( purchased in 2001 or 2002 ) should I need to. The software supplied with the Minolta was OS9 only.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 06:15:41 pm »

I'm running the High Sierra public beta on my iMac 27" 5k and new MacBook Pro 13" laptop. It works great. I love the new speed and the changes to Safari, Mail and Notes.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up