Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro search function: useless!  (Read 3581 times)

The View

Capture One Pro search function: useless!
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:00:14 pm »

I always thread the moment when I have to search for a file in Capture One Pro because the database is so bad.

Back in the days I had Lightroom 1 (the first version) and its search function was, back then, very good and useful while Capture One 9 still can't get it together.

I just did a search, and it gave me a spinning beach ball forever, and then came up with search results that didn't even have the search term linked to them.

Can't Capture One get its act together and give us a search function that actually works? Why has Adobe managed to do in 2008 that Phase One still cannot do in 2017?

Gladly I have descriptive file names so I can at least find images by looking at the row of folders.

The search function is totally useless.

And, as we are at it: the key element of good interface design is that it is designed that its organization and function becomes clear by the choice and arrangement of buttons. Not in Capture One Pro. That interface doesn't make the slightest sense.

I'd love to see a combination of Capture One processing and the Adobe Lightroom database. While Lightroom is pretty good, I don't like the softish way it processes images and the skin colors aren't very convincing. This is why I have this long-lasting frustration with Capture One since version 3.

I just wish Phase One would finally hire a good interface designer.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

sjprg

Re: Capture One Pro search function: useless!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 08:56:32 am »

+1
Paul

dandaman56

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:26:09 pm »

I don't have much issue with the interface, but the database is third rate.  I too think they need to bring in people with good database chops.  They need to start from scratch and not just band-aid the thing.

sjprg

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 01:20:56 pm »

+1. I also go back to Ver 3
Paul
Paul

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 01:29:06 pm »

+1

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 11:20:43 am »

I have got so fed up with Capture One's so called catalogue that I have given up on it and reverted to my old way of working which is to do all organisation and printing in Lightroom and only use Capture One (in session mode) for pictures that need Capture One's particular strengths.

ronaldnztan

• Ronald N. Z. Tan Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:36:39 pm »

I've been a loyal and happy user of C1PRO going back to 3.7.8.  At the time in 2008, the software cost around 500-ish. I remember, when you buy that, it comes with two free upgrades. Anyway....

I agree about the database of C1PRO. It's kind of sluggish. Overall, I'm in the C1PRO camp because of its RAW and colors looking right off the bat. I'm not too picky about it. I agree. It would be wonderful, if Phase One decides to give us an optimized database that is meant for current 2017+ times.

I don't remember, but recall someone saying something that the technology behind the database of C1PRO is a "relic" compared to current standards. The underlying database was based from some preexisting coding structure.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 01:29:44 pm »

The underlying database was based from some preexisting coding structure.

That describes every database technology ever developed :).

Performance for really large databases could certainly use a boost.

That said, most of the time we do C1 consultation or training and do a comprehensive analysis of a user's needs we find they are better off with sessions (for reasons unrelated to catalog speed performance in the current version). We wrote up a summary of why here: Capture One Sessions vs Catalogs

sawwhetowl

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 11:47:02 pm »

I am using AcdSee.  It's DB is very robust.  Currently I am testing out C1.  As others, plan is to use C1 in sessions and use AcdSee for the DB and pixel editing.

The View

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 03:51:09 am »

I am using AcdSee.  It's DB is very robust.  Currently I am testing out C1.  As others, plan is to use C1 in sessions and use AcdSee for the DB and pixel editing.

Is this windows only?

How do you combine it with CApture One Pro? Finding images in one application, and opening it with another - does C1 play well with that?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 07:17:09 am »

Is this windows only?

How do you combine it with CApture One Pro? Finding images in one application, and opening it with another - does C1 play well with that?
To make this way of working easier you need to have your pictures arranged on your hard disk by subject etc and use the system folders drop down in session mode to find particular image.  The browser will show all the pictures in the lowest level folder selected.
For instance I have my pictures stored roughly as follows

RAW Masters
|

I hope you get the idea.

HCS

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 09:31:36 am »

To make this way of working easier you need to have your pictures arranged on your hard disk by subject etc and use the system folders drop down in session mode to find particular image.

Sorry to say, but no, that is not necessary at all. The data can be arranged in any way you would like in your database, you need to select them and then send them to CO. CO does indeed need to be in session mode. CO will then open those images in an album, provided you send more than one image at a time.

I do this with Photo Supreme (PSU) on a daily basis, using PSU for its cataloguing strengths (i run a PostgreSQL version) and CO for its raw conversion strengths. Works well (for me).
Hans Cremers
Pages: [1]   Go Up