Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Egret in Flight  (Read 1400 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Egret in Flight
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:08:16 am »

See "Marina at Dawn."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Egret in Flight
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:21:12 pm »

Well caught, Russ. I rather hope (but don't expect) you cropped the bottom, as I'd like a little more room there.

Jeremy

RSL

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 02:53:47 pm »

Wish it were so, Jeremy. It was a real snapshot and I was lucky to catch the reflection in the river. The lens was extended to 300mm. I was lucky to get anything.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:24:45 pm »

Forced, on many levels.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

RSL

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:45:53 am »

And we're waiting with bated breath for your explanation of what that means, Terry.

luxborealis

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:46:44 am »

And we're waiting with bated breath for your explanation of what that means, Terry.

It comes across as a quick "grab shot": cropping is too tight as there is no "breathing space" above and below; highlights appear blown.

I understand it may be your vision and it has meaning to you and, yes, it is an egret in flight, but wasn't it you, Russ, who was complaining few weeks ago about the number of "touristy", "I was there" (or I saw this) images being posted?

RSL

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:37:01 am »

Hi Terry, Thanks for the explanation. I guess you've never attempted to shoot birds on the wing. An egret, or any bird in flight is always a "grab shot," as I explained to Jeremy. I also pointed out that I'm not happy with the framing either, but it's what I had time to grab. It isn't always that way. Sometimes you have a chance to go for a shot like this one. But it's still a "grab."

And I'm still complaining about User Critiques being overtaken by "I was there", "Here's my cat", "Trees I've seen", "Sunsets I've seen," and similar tourist and pet pictures. Those picture categories were big in the days of the Argus C3, but it's time for LuLa to go beyond that. Actually it did go beyond those categories for a while, but unfortunately it's regressed. You've been on LuLa long enough to remember the posts and critiques we were seeing eight years ago, when I first came on. Instead of arguments about politics and climate change we used to have arguments about photography. Even about photo subject matter, as opposed to equipment. That was what attracted me to LuLa in the first place. Unfortunately the attraction is fading, rapidly.

By the way, if the highlights appear blown, you're having some kind of problem with your monitor.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:31:24 am by RSL »

luxborealis

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 06:49:06 pm »

Hi Terry, Thanks for the explanation. I guess you've never attempted to shoot birds on the wing.

Yes, I have, actually, but it's not what I typically shoot, so I don't often share the results.

I agree with you about the digressions into politics on a photo forum. We all have opinions on all kinds of topics outside of photography; it's unfortunate when photo forums become "polluted" with them. But then again, it seems thin skins and quick, negative reactions to comments are becoming the norm, even in "User Critiques"!
Pages: [1]   Go Up