Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question for Wayne Fox  (Read 2138 times)

jlamont

A question for Wayne Fox
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:18:49 am »

Hi Wayne,
As you may recall, I have been trying to get some basic information regarding the maintenance of my SureColor P9000 ("Epson SureColor Px000 Maintenance"). Several members of this group have been helpful, and I resolved one of the questions, i.e., the basic procedural problem of the steps to replace the wiper blade if/when necessary. However, this still leaves the following two open issues:

1. Epson maintenance schedules for the various components of the P7000 / P9000, such as wiper blade changes, lubrication, and so on.
2. Source for wiper blades for the P7000 / P9000, that is, the new design that comes installed in these machines; I already have a source for the x900 design.

You noted that you serviced Epson printers at your shop and your partner has full access to the requisite information. You said you would see if he could dig this up for us. At the time I did not follow up on your kind offer. Now, however, I wonder if you could provide this information to me? Gary ("Garnick") from whom I expected to receive it has apparently stopped checking this forum, and the e-mail he sent to me via this site earlier was not delivered for some reason.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
Jim
jmlamont@magma.ca

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: A question for Wayne Fox
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:01:42 pm »

Regarding your questions, sorry I don't recall the specifics, but I thought the main question was "how" to do it and I think you've already gotten answers to those questions.

Regarding maintenance schedules, I"m unaware of any thing other than whats in the manual.  You seem to be concerned, but you are basing that concern on a previous generation printer.  Things are different.  To be honest there was over concern with the previous generations wiper, it could easily be cleaned and actually rarely need replaced.  My partner who services many of these printers said usually just a little distilled water to clean and they were as good as new.  Only those that get worked heavily get into situations where they might need replaced.

As far as sources, not sure how readily they will be available.  Most of the places who can get parts for the 9900 logically will begin carrying parts for the p series as they begin to get a little older.  At this point they just haven't even been on the market that long.  There just ins't a demand for the parts.  I'm not even sure they have been made available yet other than for warranty repairs.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:42:24 pm by Wayne Fox »

Garnick

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:23:04 pm »

Hi Wayne,
As you may recall, I have been trying to get some basic information regarding the maintenance of my SureColor P9000 ("Epson SureColor Px000 Maintenance"). Several members of this group have been helpful, and I resolved one of the questions, i.e., the basic procedural problem of the steps to replace the wiper blade if/when necessary. However, this still leaves the following two open issues:

1. Epson maintenance schedules for the various components of the P7000 / P9000, such as wiper blade changes, lubrication, and so on.
2. Source for wiper blades for the P7000 / P9000, that is, the new design that comes installed in these machines; I already have a source for the x900 design.

You noted that you serviced Epson printers at your shop and your partner has full access to the requisite information. You said you would see if he could dig this up for us. At the time I did not follow up on your kind offer. Now, however, I wonder if you could provide this information to me? Gary ("Garnick") from whom I expected to receive it has apparently stopped checking this forum, and the e-mail he sent to me via this site earlier was not delivered for some reason.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
Jim
jmlamont@magma.ca

As you might recall Jim, it was I who steered you in the right direction concerning the wiper exchange/cleaning procedure.  Until that point you were having some rather nasty results, including some worrisome messages on the control panel when you tried to restart the printer after turning it OFF during the procedure you had been using before I chimed in.  And by the way, you are quite mistaken if you think I have "stopped checking this forum".  When I start up my browser, one of the sites that also loads as a home page is the LuLa Forum, and I check in many times per day.  Concerning the possibility of a source for parts(wiper etc.), I have, on two occasions, sent my source's information to you by personal email through this forum.  However it would seem that perhaps you are also having issues with your email app.  Try looking in your Spam/Junk folder, since those emails might have been directed to those locations for some reason.  I see that you have now included your personal email address, so I will try again one last time.  Hopefully this time you will receive the information.  If the aforementioned "maintenance schedules" were indeed available my contact would have sent them along, but since that has not happened I assume such "schedules" are not readily accessible.  And as far as cleaning/replacing the wiper is concerned I totally agree with Wayne, a bit of distilled water does the trick, a method I've used for many years and three generations of Epson Large Format printers.  Indeed, it is a good policy to keep at least two new wiper blades on hand in case some sort of damage has been done to the one you are currently using, but over the 6+ years of using the 9900 I may have actually installed a grand total of two new blades.

Gary     

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:09:48 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

jlamont

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:32:34 am »

Thanks, Wayne. I have always appreciated your expertise in this group. I know how ambiguous communication can be even if each person tries very hard to be clear. (I have one final question at the end here.)

Yes, I am concerned about the proper maintenance of my P9000. I love my 7900 and the exquisite, best-in-class work it does, but I have had to replace the wiper several times in the last six years (the rubber was slightly damaged) and lubricate it (squeaking). Properly maintaining a big, industrial grade machine is always important, I think you will agree, and I have been surprised at Epson's reluctance to acknowledge this by providing us with the requisite information. Information on the 7000/9000-generation is much (much!) harder to obtain than for the x900-generation. For example, with my 7900 the Service Manual gives specifics on wiper blade and lubrication schedules. No one yet has shown me a Service Manual for the P9000 so I can't say whether or not it includes such information, as you seem to suggest; I am fairly sure it is not available in the P9000 User Manual. No matter; Epson is what it is and I love their printers despite such irritations.

One final question, then. Do you do regular, preventative maintenance on your fleet of Epson printers? Or do you just run them until they break and then bring in Epson and/or your brother to fix them? I really want to have the right approach to maintenance with my P9000. My background tells me regular maintenance can prevent expensive failures, but I am quite prepared to be guided on this issue by those with more experience with these machines.

Thanks for everything.

Best wishes,
Jim

jlamont

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 07:47:36 am »

Thanks for persisting, Gary. I got your last e-mail this morning. It is a mystery what happened to your previous e-mails. Lost somewhere in the digital wilderness I suppose; they definitely were not in my SPAM folder, as I checked that faithfully, and my e-mail appears to be working perfectly.

I have appreciated your assistance very much, and I hope my gratitude has always been evident in my messages here. Knowing that I can consult experts in this group such as you was a major factor in my decision to purchase the P9000. So again, thank you.

And many thanks also to everyone else who has assisted in trying to resolve the important maintenance issues I raised.

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 09:22:38 am »

Thanks for persisting, Gary. I got your last e-mail this morning. It is a mystery what happened to your previous e-mails. Lost somewhere in the digital wilderness I suppose; they definitely were not in my SPAM folder, as I checked that faithfully, and my e-mail appears to be working perfectly.

I have appreciated your assistance very much, and I hope my gratitude has always been evident in my messages here. Knowing that I can consult experts in this group such as you was a major factor in my decision to purchase the P9000. So again, thank you.

And many thanks also to everyone else who has assisted in trying to resolve the important maintenance issues I raised.

Hi Jim,

I'm glad you have finally received the information I had forwarded twice from the forum directly to you in email form.  I assumed you had indeed received the latest one, but apparently that was not the case.  I've checked my LuLa forum account and both emails were shown as being sent, so I have no idea why they didn't reach you.  However, that's moot now.  As far as the "Service Manual" is concerned, to my knowledge Epson has never issued that manual to the buyer.  It is a manual that eventually becomes circulated through third party sites, since it is essentially proprietary to Epson.  I think what you are referring to is actually the "Field Service Manual" that the techs use.  That may not be available for at least another year, not sure.  Now that you have the contact info for the tech I've been referring to you can of course pose that question directly to him.  I doubt he could get the manual for you, but he might be able to answer some of your questions concerning scheduled maintenance.  One request from me - please do not be overly demanding with Mark.  He's a very busy fellow and I would not want our friendship to be jeopardized.  Also, Please do NOT post that information on the forum! 

Good luck with your new P9000,
Gary     
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up