Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teddy Roosevelt National Park  (Read 3068 times)

DarkPenguin

Teddy Roosevelt National Park
« on: August 21, 2006, 09:41:07 pm »

I think parts of this are too dark but I'm not sure.  I'm not even sure there is a picture here.  I got so caught up in the B+W conversion I lot track of what I was trying to achieve.  Perhaps I should read the last few articles on the subject here.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 12:13:10 am »

Hmm.  I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve either, but if I were doing it I would try to focus on the glowing clouds more by making the darks even darker.  The foreground isn't very interesting, so I'd darken it and the sky, to better set off the glowing clouds and the shiny water, both of which would be much brighter by comparison.  I think the clouds (and, to a lesser extent, the water) deserve to be the center of attention, not the ground.  Too bad you couldn't get a little more bright water in the picture.   Just my $0.02...

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 12:50:16 am »

Thanks for the input.  I've got some crops that show off the water a lot more.  I'll look at those more closely.

I was trying to salvage the foreground to see if it worked.  You can kind of follow the river to the hills and then the clouds kind of have a fireworks feel.  But that only really works if the sky is in color.  And the foreground absolutely doesn't work in color.  If I just go for the clouds I can go color.  Which would be nice.

I'm not sure I like the added grain.  I like it for the sky but it muddied the foreground.

Oh, well.

I wish I hadn't been so dead tired when I was at that location but I was completely unwilling to lug the full backback up the hill with me and had to make due with a 12-24 handheld.
Pages: [1]   Go Up