Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kilconnel 2  (Read 1925 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
kilconnel 2
« on: June 18, 2017, 07:50:32 am »

Thoughts?

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: kilconnel 2
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:47:35 am »

Well done.
I hope you spent some hours wandering around finding detail shots, too. It looks like a goldmine of possible images.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:49:14 am »

A fine shot, Jeremy. Somebody's sure to tell you it's over-processed. Don't pay any attention. Whoever tells you that will be the kind of shooter whose pictures tell you: "This is what I saw." The pictures that really matter are the ones that tell you: "This is what I felt." This picture fits that description. It's good wabi sabi by the way.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

francois

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:32:34 am »

Brilliant. Those old stones deserved that dramatic sky and. The processing is very appropriate.
Bravo!
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 11:45:53 am »

Very nice. Being able to count the stones is a bonus.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 12:21:58 pm »

With apologies to Russ, I see halos. And the problem with halos is, once you see them it is impossible to unsee them.

RSL

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 12:31:18 pm »

I agree that once you see them you can't unsee them, Rajan, but I'm looking at a top of the line Dell monitor, carefully calibrated, and I don't see them. At first I thought there might be one along the top of the left extension of the wall, but it's just brightness in the sky below a darker cloud.

Where do you you see the halos?

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 01:16:18 pm »

Russ - along several of the edges of the structure against the sky.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 02:05:13 pm »

Thanks, all.

I hope you spent some hours wandering around finding detail shots, too. It looks like a goldmine of possible images.

I did, but sadly it's less of a goldmine than you might think. The area inside is still used as a graveyard by locals with some kind of hereditary right, and it has a selection of gaudy, mawkish, overblown memorials which are wholly out of keeping with the stones.

A fine shot, Jeremy. Somebody's sure to tell you it's over-processed. Don't pay any attention. Whoever tells you that will be the kind of shooter whose pictures tell you: "This is what I saw." The pictures that really matter are the ones that tell you: "This is what I felt." This picture fits that description. It's good wabi sabi by the way.

I agree entirely: but that must surely be true of all b&w shots. Nobody sees in only greyscale (well, there might be a very rare form of blindness to all colour, I suppose), so all monochrome images are a representation of "what I felt".

With apologies to Russ, I see halos. And the problem with halos is, once you see them it is impossible to unsee them.

Sadly, you're right, but I compliment you on your eyesight! There are some halos, in particular a quite noticeable one to the right of the main tower which, contrary to my expectation, does show up on a print. It's very unusual for SFX Pro to leave a halo like that. I'll rework it a bit: I think it's worth some effort.

Jeremy

RSL

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 02:34:07 pm »

Okay. I downloaded it and expanded it, and I can see a halo on both sides of the tower -- barely. Guess my 87-year-old eyes aren't quite what they once were. Of course, now that I've seen it I can't unsee it.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 02:39:54 pm »

Well, I tried with MacPhun's Tonality and it gave me huge, wide light areas on either side of the tower, rather spoiling the effect. Here's a modified version, using clone stamp to get rid of the halos.

Jeremy

[edit: matched crop and toning of the original]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:58:01 pm by kikashi »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 02:54:41 pm »

And here's another.

Jeremy

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 07:31:17 pm »

Jeremy, this last image is a beauty.

PS: Depending on what you're trying to achieve, Tony Kuyper's Luminosity Masks actions can be very useful. His latest release, the V5 panel, is extremely powerful. Since LM are self-feathering the incidence of halos is eliminated or greatly minimized.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 08:27:20 pm »

... Somebody's sure to tell you it's over-processed....

Count me in :)

Actually, the sky is fine. It's the crunchy walls.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:05:26 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 08:49:09 pm »

Count me in :)

Actually, the sky is fine. It the crunchy walls.

What I see are wonderfully dynamic clouds with plenty of ready-made ("natural") three dimensionality. Gorgeous.

But the stone of the buildings have an edge and contrast to them that do not match the lack of directional lighting. Does this make sense? Perhaps not. Directional lighting would bring out the kind of texture we see in the stone, but the lighting on the stone is flat, so there is an incongruity that makes the photo appear over-processed.

Bottom line, though, if it works for you, Jeremy, then go for it, no matter what anyone says, pro or con.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 02:27:56 pm »

Jeremy, this last image is a beauty.

PS: Depending on what you're trying to achieve, Tony Kuyper's Luminosity Masks actions can be very useful. His latest release, the V5 panel, is extremely powerful. Since LM are self-feathering the incidence of halos is eliminated or greatly minimized.

Thanks, Rajan: I think I've looked at them in the past, but I'll check again.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up