Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best method for matching color and exposure between two images in CC  (Read 1810 times)

sanfairyanne

Can I ask what is the most effective way of matching color and exposure between two images in CC? I watched several You Tube tutorials and have tried the Match Color option, but my result is not even close. One of the tutorials goes as far as to say there are better more efficient methods. I just wish I knew what they were.
I attach a screen grab from an identical area on both images. I zoomed in to 4:1 in Lightroom here and sampled the RGB values.

TonyW

Re: Best method for matching color and exposure between two images in CC
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:13:06 am »

Match color can work better sometimes if you mask an area first.  But my preferred method is to use curves and select one or two key areas with the Colour Sampler tool on the original and the image I wish to match then adjust the individual RGB channels to match within a point or two and if necessary apply an overall darken lighten contrast change to get a closer visual match using the composite RGB channel.  Quick play attached, hope it may help

sanfairyanne

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:59:55 am »

Thanks Tony,
I have tried with the Colour Sampler tool, it just seems to take a lot of practice. I think I've been making one obvious error. I had the sampler tool set to pick up data from a single pixel instead of a close group. I'll keep playing, thanks once again.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 01:59:21 pm »

Thanks Tony,
I have tried with the Colour Sampler tool, it just seems to take a lot of practice. I think I've been making one obvious error. I had the sampler tool set to pick up data from a single pixel instead of a close group. I'll keep playing, thanks once again.

For exposure matching, I'd try the following:

Compare the median values in the histogram of two very similar images. Put the top layer in a group together with an exposure adjustment layer. Now adjust the exposure until the medians are the same. Then with the group in Difference blend mode, tweak the black/white points and contrast/curve to approach a black composite.

Color differences are difficult to match afterward without automation, but once the exposure is matched, the colors may dictate which solution to use for that.

Cheers,
Bart

== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 05:07:50 pm »

I've never had a problem color matching several images shot in a series whether under controlled lighting or shooting landscapes. Most of the time the mismatch has to do with white balance issues which is what the OP's sample image appears to have. WB depending on level of warm/cool can reduce or increase saturation, again what I see in the OP's image.

I judge overall color viewing full frame on the display. I don't zoom in because that triggers perceptual adaptation from viewing on a 6500K display with close inspection of warm colors.

Zooming in and clicking on even a group of pixels will be like color match wack-a-mole.

Why not post the two images full frame to see what the real color problem stems from?
Pages: [1]   Go Up