Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Epson for infrequent use  (Read 1231 times)

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
Best Epson for infrequent use
« on: June 16, 2017, 08:50:51 am »

I've been pleasantly surprised how well my 3880 has survived long periods of being idle. I'd like to upgrade to a 24" or 44" printer with a roll feeder now but would still be using it infrequently. Anything as reliable as the 3880 in those larger sizes? Thanks, Ryan

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Best Epson for infrequent use
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 09:06:55 am »

I had a 9800 that was pretty good but that was several years ago and it's no longer made...It got iterated at least 2-3 times...

For six years, I've been using a 9900, 11-colors but it takes more effort to keep the heads clean but not as much as before I had it serviced last year. It, too, has been replaced by a newer model by Epson.

The 3880, with the exception of the black-ink pump issue seems to be one of the best around--you can abandoned it for weeks and it prints up a storm then let it rest. The one in my studio probably has run 9,000 prints so far. It did have to have the black pump replaced but that was a few years back.

If you have room, go for the 44 inch printer. You may be lucky and find something second-hand like a 7880 or 9880 or one of the newer models of the last iteration.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

I.T. Supplies

Re: Best Epson for infrequent use
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 10:31:50 am »

To be honest, I would be careful with x800/x880 series since those parts are becoming very scarce if the printer needs repaired.  They may have been good printers and many still out there, but if you want to make sure that the printer will function for a while and have the ability to be repaired with less worries, go with a newer model (even the x890/x900 series).  The new P series have been updated with a Teflon coating on the print head which helps reduce clogs and many of the customers that purchased one of the models have been very satisfied with the usage.  Now they also have cleaning features (time functions) to set so when it's not being used, it will inspect the nozzles and clean if needed.

Otherwise, Canon's Pro series are another great option if it's not being used that much in a month.  We usually recommend Canon for infrequent usage as the head was made for that purpose and has many sensors to track for clogs.  Now that the Pro models have a single, wider head, also has more nozzles to work with if there are clogs and cleans them after the print is complete.  Canon Pro bodies are slightly narrower than Epson, yet more sturdier chasis to help better with more precise ink droplet.

Basically, Canon and Epson are at a very close print quality now with their new models and it mainly comes down to features you're wanting to make the best decision.  If you like Epson, stick with Epson and go with the P6000 that matches closer to your 3880.  Canon has good deals now along with many free tools/plug-ins.

Atlex.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up