Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Printer setting in Print settings LR5 on P800 for Iford Fine Art Smooth  (Read 6868 times)

Rand47

I don't remember precisely where it is in the menus of the SC P800 (I no longer have it), but there is a place where you can turn off paper type settings "in the printer."  Go do that.  The printer will no longer fight the driver settings re which paper source, type, etc., that you've selected in the driver via access from Lightroom.

This drove me nuts for a while before i figured it out w/ my P800.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

Rand,

For the P800, in general the hierarchy is structured by default such that what one specifies in the driver menu on the computer over-rides the paper settings on the printer LCD. One can, for most purposes, ignore the paper settings on the LCD screen if you are printing from a computer.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rand47

Rand,

For the P800, in general the hierarchy is structured by default such that what one specifies in the driver menu on the computer over-rides the paper settings on the printer LCD. One can, for most purposes, ignore the paper settings on the LCD screen if you are printing from a computer.

Mark,

All due respect for your expertise, but it just wasn't so on my P800.  I'm wondering if there could be some difference with the Windows driver vs. printer settings as opposed to Apple.

Rand
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:18:03 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Mark,

All due respect for your expertise, but it just wasn't so on my P800.  I'm wondering if there could be some difference with the Windows driver vs. printer settings as opposed to Apple.

Rand

Possibly, but I don't work with Windows so I don't know; what I do know is that I had a discussion of this issue for the P800 with a senior Epson staffer - in the context of the Epson driver for OSX - and what I suggested here was the advice I received at the time. It would appear from your experience that perhaps this advice was not universally portable.

Rand47

Possibly, but I don't work with Windows so I don't know; what I do know is that I had a discussion of this issue for the P800 with a senior Epson staffer - in the context of the Epson driver for OSX - and what I suggested here was the advice I received at the time. It would appear from your experience that perhaps this advice was not universally portable.

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm certainly not any kind of expert, more a typical end-user.  But I can say with certainty that my SC P800 did all kinds of wrong paper feed choice, wrong paper type, various kinds of mismatches that really drove me nuts (never experienced on 1280, 2000, 2200, 4880, R3000, etc.) until I found and turned off the paper type monitor (or whatever the proper terminology is) in the 800's printer menu.  After that, zero issues printing from LR.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm certainly not any kind of expert, more a typical end-user.  But I can say with certainty that my SC P800 did all kinds of wrong paper feed choice, wrong paper type, various kinds of mismatches that really drove me nuts (never experienced on 1280, 2000, 2200, 4880, R3000, etc.) until I found and turned off the paper type monitor (or whatever the proper terminology is) in the 800's printer menu.  After that, zero issues printing from LR.

Rand

Yes, I hear you Rand, and I have no issue believing what you say reflects the experience you had. I am only puzzled by it for two reasons: (i) I had this discussion with Epson twice over back in the days when I was testing and reviewing this printer about the relationship between the printer LCD settings and the computer-based driver settings and twice over they assured me I could safely ignore the LCD and just focus on the driver using my computer, so I did that. It stays forever on 13*19 inch Premium Luster and I don't even think of it. (ii) You can peruse on this website how many different kinds of papers I've tested with that printer between December 2015 and this year, including odd-ball stuff like Breathing Color Aluminium sheets. I have carried on using the printer exactly as Epson advised in (i) and I have been getting excellent results from rigorous custom profiling verification. So I have to say I'm mystified by the apparently huge difference between your experience and mine; could be there is something I'm not understanding, bit that wouldn't be a first!  -:).

Kees_1948

Two days on, and the fog is beginning to lift, thank you all. I learned a lot in a short time, and should be back in the groove again now.

I suppose it was good to have made some mistakes in he beginning, because it forced me to look at things and also generated this discussion.

The silly thing is, I have used the 3850 and the 4900 for years, and the issues of what feed is used and borderless or not also need to be addressed there. I should have looked at that. But for  the past two or three years have exclusively used Enhanced Matt and Velvet, because they suited my subject, which means never changing ink and also using only one entry port.

I think I got it sorted now I even used a box of very old Canon FA-ME1, a Hahnemulle produced Museum Etching, 350 gsm, which I loaded from the front, choosing Legacy Etching as profile and as Media type, and it came out fine!

Kees_1948

I have quite a bit of stoc left in A2 Epson Enhanced matte, but my ist of choices in the profile list doesn't give me that option.
Any suggestions which option to choose?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

I have quite a bit of stoc left in A2 Epson Enhanced matte, but my ist of choices in the profile list doesn't give me that option.
Any suggestions which option to choose?

It's not called Enhanced Matte any longer. The most recent name is Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte, or UPPM. If you find that in your profile list you should be OK.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up