Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pete Souza book: "Obama: An Intimate Portrait"  (Read 2102 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Pete Souza book: "Obama: An Intimate Portrait"
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:34:34 pm »

Not intended as a political post, just something about photography.
(the headline was on Yahoo News)

Barack Obama to write foreword for book from White House photographer and expert Trump troll

President Barack Obama views a replica of the Oval Office at the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library in a photo
captured by former White House photographer Pete Souza: LBJ Library/Pete Souza

Former White House photographer Pete Souza is credited with capturing some of the most iconic photographs of Barack Obama’s presidency – and with keeping it alive via his popular Instagram account.

Now, the former President is returning the favour.

Mr Obama has announced he will write the foreword to his White House photographer's forthcoming book of photos. The book, titled "Obama: An Intimate Portrait" will contain approximately 300 photos of the first African-American president’s time in office.

Mr Souza told The New York Times the photos would show Mr Obama “in all facets of his life”.

“There are pictures that certainly show him stressing in the Situation Room over major decisions, but also pictures of him interacting in fun moments with his girls,” he said.

The photos will be selected from some 10,000 images Mr Souza captured over the years, from high-level security meetings to family vacations.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Re: Pete Souza book: "Obama: An Intimate Portrait"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:37:59 pm »

I've always like the one of Mr President and Spiderman.  At least it shows just a tad of humility. 

Jim Metzger

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 03:57:06 pm »

I thought Pete did an outstanding job on covering President Obama, informative and artistic. Souza may have had the second hardest job in Washington and it is amazing he lasted all eight years.

I had the opportunity to visit the White House during the last weeks of the Obama Presidency and spoke at length with many aides. They all seem to be 20 something years old with boundless energy. Many of them told me the President actively encouraged staff to bring their kids to work and would have them bring their kids into the Oval Office. He felt it gave him greater perspective on what being President was all about.

I am guessing that the current occupant is more of a W.C. Fields type of personality.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 06:43:00 am »

Souza may have had the second hardest job in Washington and it is amazing he lasted all eight years.

I am not sure I can agree with this.  Taking documentary type photographs of someone may be stressful.  But I am not understanding how this can be the hardest job in Washington.  I would think the person he is photographing has a harder job than the photographer.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Jim Metzger

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 10:05:30 am »

Hi Otto,

That is why I said "second hardest" ;).

I shoot weddings and other events, during the typical 4-8 hours of the day I am shooting, I have to "be on my toes" the entire time or risk missing a critical moment. . Pete Souza did this for 8 years, at all hours of the day and night, in critical situations most of us would wither under and he did it in a suit and tie!
Pages: [1]   Go Up