Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What paper profile to choose on p800 for Epson Enhanced matt?  (Read 4432 times)

Kees_1948

Getting used to my P800.

I moved from a 3850 8 years ago to a 4900 four years ago.
The 4900 had a new head put in 2 years ago, but last week lost its Magenta almost entirely, a new Magenta Toner cassette was tried, but made no difference. After many leanings (printer had not been used for 3 months), We concludd that it would probably need a new printing head again, so I cut my losses and ditched it.

Now trying out my new P800.

I am used to printing a lot on Enhanced Matt. It is about a third the price here of most other papers, and perfectly suitable for freebies, and the odd printing job for friends who don't want to spend a lot.
Besides, I still have a lot of it left over.

But the P800 printer driver, which loads paper profiles from Epson into my LR 5 , doesn't have a profile for Enhanced Matt.
Looking at Epson website, I can't find one either.
Can someone suggest the best alternative from those available?

I tried Ultra Premium Presentation Matt, which looks quite OK. Any better suggestions?
The print looked a bit wavy when it came out of the printer, suggesting maybe a bit too wet. Should I dial down the amount of "ink" it uses?

Ernst Dinkla

Re: What paper profile to choose on p800 for Epson Enhanced matt?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 05:12:19 am »

Best answer to that;
http://lula.brainwebhosting.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=63861.0

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 07:13:27 am »

As Ernst said back in 2012 in his post that he hyperlinked in his reply above, it is the same paper renamed. That doesn't however resolve your perceived problem of the print emerging from the printer being too wet relative to what you normally experienced in the past. The Epson profile for this paper is UPPM and should be satisfactory. Did you have that same paper specified as the Media Type in the printer driver? Worthwhile checking - as you undoubtedly know from experience, when using Epson paper with Epson profiles, the Media Type in the printer driver and the print profile selected in the Print Tab of Lightroom should be the same. It is easy to make this mistake by oversight, so I suggest checking all the settings. You should not need to alter the ink laydown, but to do so would require profile editing software or the use of another Media Type and profile that both reduces wetness while still producing a correct print. It would be less painful to get a custom profile made. But as I'm suggesting here, it should not be necessary. As another check, make a print, same UPPM paper and Media TYpe setting with Printer Manages Color and see whether the same happens, to help diagnose whether the problem is with the ICC workflow or the printer itself. 
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Kees_1948

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 09:17:23 pm »

Thanks guys, useful information, and interesing read.
Yes, I had chosen UPPM , so by chance picked the right profile. And yes, had it in both Print setting as well in Color management, been causght out there before.
The perceived 'wetness' must have been marginal, because it dried very fast and flat. maybe because the print in question was rather over saturated, and very deep tints.

It seems like my first few hiccups using my new printer are now settling down and I look forward to some satisfying printing ahead...

Anyone here done any printing with the P800 on Epson Velvet?
Pages: [1]   Go Up