Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 error code 0x1A36  (Read 8037 times)

Kees_1948

P800 error code 0x1A36
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:25:40 pm »

I am in the process of installing my new Epson p800, and encounteing a number of problems.
One of these is that , after a more or less succesful A4 print, I put in a A2, and tried to makle another print.
It started, printed a few lines, about the top 4 mm of my image, then stopped, the control panel said Error code 0x1A36

I looked at the manual, no mention of this or other numerical error codes

I googled "Epson P800 plus the error code, no relevant result

Anyone else encountered this?
Or any suggestions where to look?

I use an Macbook Pro, OSX 10.9.5 Network cable connection, Lightroom 5.6

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: P800 error code 0x1A36
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:00:49 am »

Call Epson tech support - it's free and they can help.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 07:31:11 am »

fyi, I checked my 3800/3880 service manual and they do NOT show the 1A36 error code.

definitely do call Epson Support.

Kees_1948

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 09:00:34 pm »

Ehhhh, I live in Thailand, Epson has very few English speakers, and their service is virtually non existent. My Thai is not good enough to deal with technical subjects like this...

That is why I came to this forum.
Anyway, I truned down my compute and printer, then turned them back on again, working OK.

I was jsut wondering why Epson has a Error code, but no documentation about what it means. Sounds  a bit Kafkaesque to me

SethGoodwin

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 04:41:58 pm »

Just got the same error code and issue with my P800 for the first time today. Happened while using 17x22 fine art paper in the front fine art feeder. Tried to troubleshoot. Interestingly, the exact same paper in smaller size was fine when loaded the exact same way. Updated firmware, restarted printer, restarted computer - still no luck. Called Epson. They said it was a mechanical issue and printer needed to be replaced. Offered a refurb, but not with a new warranty. Frustrated, I discovered what seems to be a decent workaround. Bypass the front fine art feed altogether, which I've never liked very much. Use the sheet feeder for 17x22 fine art paper, use a matte paper media setting, adjust paper thickness to 5mm, choose wide platen gap, and use your normal color management. It seems to work. So, I'm left to assume that the mechanical issue, if indeed there is one, has to do with the poorly designed front fine art feeder and 17x22 cut sheets on the P800.   
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:48:18 pm by SethGoodwin »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:17:54 pm »

Just got the same error code and issue with my P800 for the first time today. Happened while using 17x22 fine art paper in the front fine art feeder. Tried to troubleshoot. Interestingly, the exact same paper in smaller size was fine when loaded the exact same way. Updated firmware, restarted printer, restarted computer - still no luck. Called Epson. They said it was a mechanical issue and printer needed to be replaced. Offered a refurb, but not with a new warranty. Frustrated, I discovered what seems to be a decent workaround. Bypass the front fine art feed altogether, which I've never liked very much. Use the sheet feeder for 17x22 fine art paper, use a matte paper media setting, adjust paper thickness to 5mm, choose wide platen gap, and use your normal color management. It seems to work. So, I'm left to assume that the mechanical issue, if indeed there is one, has to do with the poorly designed front fine art feeder and 17x22 cut sheets on the P800.

The usual way in which warranties work is that the warranty period begins from the day you purchase the printer and ends at the end of the stated warranty period, say one year. The company has a right to satisfy a warranty claim in different ways - usually by either repair or replacement with a new printer, or replacement with a refurb printer as they see fit, but the warranty is not thereby extended for a year starting from the time you receive a new unit if that was their preferred way of solving the problem. So if this is what was frustrating you, I would suggest that it shouldn't - this is normal business practice. My experience with them is that if they send a defective refurb, they replace it. In fact I have had them replace one of their all-in-one office machines four times over till I got a correct one, and they didn't blink an eyelash over it.

Now back to the problem: there is a reason for having the FFA feed for heavy media. If you feed heavy media through the sheet feeder, a couple of their senior people have told me that this practice will eventually damage the printer. I can't verify that and wouldn't try, but I would take them at their word on that. If the FFA is giving you problems, you can load the sheet through the back (where roll paper would load) rather than the front, doing everything else as instructed for the FFA feed. I do this routinely as I find the front route sometimes sticky and "fiddly". Give that a try and see what it does both for your paper loading experience and the error code. If it fails to solve the error code issue, I would suggest following through with what they offered.

I tried to find an explanation for that error code and failed. It would be in the interest of transparency if Epson were to explain it somewhere.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 05:26:03 pm »

I tried to find an explanation for that error code and failed. It would be in the interest of transparency if Epson were to explain it somewhere.
Great oxymoron!!!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 05:57:32 pm »

Very funny Alan!  ;D

So, a definition of "oxymoron":

"a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction". Just for giggles, I would argue that the use of the conditional tense after the word "transparency" makes the term "explain" an operator that enables transparency, hence the sentence as a whole means that these terms occur in a logical sequence, the character of which doesn't conform with the definition because one term is a condition of the occurrence of the other. Anyhow, for avoidance of doubt, what I mean is that they should just darn well explain the error code!

SethGoodwin

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 06:09:18 pm »

Mark - Thanks for your reply. I will try what you suggest with the rear feed. I did not realize that was possible. I will post again with the results. On the warranty matter, I take your point that this may be standard business practice. However, I've had this printer for 6 months. If the refurb has the same issue in 7 months, I am technically out of warranty and potentially out $1250. This is the potential scenario that concerns, and frustrates, me. Unless, and perhaps this is the experience you are referring to with your all-in-one machine, Epson replaces the refurb even when out of warranty from the original date of purchase. Did they do that for you? Thanks. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 07:35:25 pm »

Hi Seth,

No, the replacements were all one after another within a very short time period, all of it under the original warranty.

The warranty is not machine specific, it is time specific; as part of the purchase agreement, they are committed to "keep you whole" one way or another for a period of 12 months, no matter how they decide to do it. Logically, the same printer can be repaired and break down again in month 13 and you would be S.O.L. on a 12 month warranty, so it's really no different than if the replacement printer were to break down in month 7 of its life with you starting 6 months from the time you sent back the first machine. So again, I wouldn't lose sleep over this possibility - it's the same risk one way or another. If they were to send you a refurb that they failed to refurb properly, you would know that well in time to get it replaced.

Now as to the problem itself, if they've advised you in a way suggesting that it's a hardware problem, I would take their word for it. Perhaps try upgrading or replacing the firmware to see whether that helps. If it doesn't, and the problem persists, I would think it best to follow their advice.

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 01:21:16 pm »

Just had this exact same error code. Epson tech support said it was a "Communication error between Print head and Main board". The symptom was an off-centered / wrong size print on the paper that was truncated on 17" wide cut sheets. Also looks like some kind of bit error where the print drastically change lightness along a vertical line. Smaller size paper works fine.

Epson is doing an exchange.

johnlgardiner

Re: P800 error code 0x1A36 fix
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 04:31:14 pm »

Today my printer was starting to print on 17x22 when it failed -> error code 0x1A36.
The printer was offsetting the print 1.5" enough that some of the image was off-page causing the printer to stop or fail.  This happened with 13x19 too but not 8.5x11 or 14 and the image was centered.   Called Epson TS and they said the hardware on the printer failed and I could do one of 3 things: go get it repaired, buy a refurbished printer or buy a new one with a new discount (customer appreciation). 
Well I sat on this over tennis and decided the driver should be reinstalled (uninstalled first).  So I called TS again to get the procedure.  It took some convincing but they helped me.   Now my driver version is 10.33 and the printer is working fine again! 

If you have this error Code 0x1A36, uninstall your current driver and re-install the latest driver.  To date, the current driver version is 10.36.
First go to System Preferences, Printers and delete the driver. 
Go to epson.support.com.  Type in P800 and download the uninstall and the driver. 
Run the uninstaller.  Run the installer. 
Go to System Preferences, Printer and click +.  Then choose Epson SC-P800 series (bonjour).  The new driver should say "idle, last used".

SharonVL

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 10:52:40 am »

Epson support used to be great but it isn't so much anymore. The last time I called I was directed to two call centers, both in other countries and the service people did not know as much about printers as I do. They searched for answers and finally gave up.  I had already searched the manual and internet before I called so it was a waste of time. A few years ago you could call and talk to people who were knowledgeable.   :-[

Sharon
Pages: [1]   Go Up