Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One 645DF+ Body w/ Schneider 80mm 2.8 LS & PhaseOne P65+ Digital Back  (Read 2381 times)

rollsman44

I am trying to decide if this system is with buying or the Fuji GFX 50S.  They are about the same price. I mainly shoot portraits, some social events and some landscapes .   I would like to hear from the forum to see what is best for my work, By the way, I am semi retired and don't shoot that much any more so it will be used as MY family/ hobby/ vacation system.  Thank you

Joe Towner

GFX all the way.  Current, smaller, more reliable, and less parts.  Give up 10mp for a lot more usable ISO, plus more adaptable lenses, it's less of a question.  I love the 60mp CCD, but if you're not pushing strobes and need that leaf shutter, or already have a M645 lens collection to leverage, you don't gain anything sticking with the older style.

If you were already shooting an IQ140 or an older P/P+ back, I'd lean to the P65+ as it gains you a redundancy.
t: @PNWMF

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com

GFX all the way! I owned the phase combination. (Got now the XF and IQ3100) but between the p65 and the GFX I wouldn't think twice.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

pschefz

not even a question...GFX all the way....faster, smaller, at least comparable IQ at base, then no comparison, much, much better power management, just an all around better product and most likely cheaper in the long run (lenses,...)
schefz.com
artloch.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

You're choosing between two good options, so what will matter most is where your priorities are.

Some pros for the Phase One option that may or may not matter for your particular needs:
- Bright optical viewfinder
- Full frame 645 sensor rather than a crop medium format sensor
- Leaf shutter lenses
- Large line of native, ultra-high res, modern lenses
- Capture One support
- Pro dealer support/training
- Value added warranty option, rapid repair turn around times
- Upgrade path to newer backs
- Use of tech cameras like Arca Swiss R series series with unbeatable large format digital glass
- Option for a 15mp raw file*
- Very simple user interface

*When I was using a P65+ I used the 15mp Sensor+ raw mode for a lot of "social events". It still has the look, color, and post-processing pliability/depth of full-frame medium format, but it was much easier to manage/store/process a hundred sensor+ raws than full res 60mp raws.

Many of our CCD users also claim a "CCD look" that is independent from resolution, lens, etc. This is subjective and subtle, so I'd leave it to the individual to play with files and decide if they see it and if they like it.

No question there are also pros for the Fuji (size/weight), which have been noted by others above.

My suggestion: go put your hands on both options and see which suits your fancy. Nothing short of that will really answer your question with completeness. If you're in NYC or LA we have Phase One Demo Facilities we'd love to host you in (feel free to bring a Fuji to compare!). If you're in the US but not in those cities we can arrange for you to test drive it at your own home and we can video-chat to help you with any initial questions so you get the most out of the testing. If you're outside the US I'd suggest checking with your local Phase One dealer; it's literally their job to help you!

pschefz

i think doug made a good point.....a major difference here is optical vs EVF....as good as the GFX finder is, it is a big difference....

the fuji does not have the wide range of native lenses yet, but the 32-64 zoom is crazy good and a perfect lens for the kind of shooting you have in mind...fuji lenses are a lot cheaper and almost any lens can be used via cheap adapters....as can technical cameras, fuji sells a 4x5 adapter and there are other solutions, but i don't think that falls into your idea for this anyway....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

I never have really understood the need for optical, unless I am shooting birds or any other fast moving subject matter (besides water).

Personally I always use Live View with a P1 back at 100% view (vastly superior to an optical finder)  or the 100% view in review mode.  I can't tell anything about a subject besides the framing with the XF optical and I can frame just as well with the EVF on any mirrorless.  As for figuring out if the subject is in focus or not, to me optical is worthless. 

The P65+ has a terrible LCD, period.  You can't tell much at all when you get it zoomed to 100% and that process is not easy either requiring several hits of the side buttons.  NET, if you want a P1 back, I sure would at least save for a IQ160 or ever 140 used as they both have the IQ LCD which is still IMO state of the art.  Most DSLR"s still don't have the same quality screens at least to my eyes, even the newer ones with touch capabilities.  You might also look for a used IQ150, as they go up and down in price it seems.  It shares the same screen as the other IQ backs. 

If you have used any modern DSLR, you will be pretty disappointed with the LCD on the P65+, for any type of image preview/review. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up