Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Photo of James Comey Takes the Internet by Storm  (Read 3338 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
A Photo of James Comey Takes the Internet by Storm
« on: June 11, 2017, 01:13:05 am »

I didn't want to simply too this out in the Trump II thread but I found this image and the story fascinating...this is NOT intended to be in any way political, just photographic.

James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, testified before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Thursday. Credit Doug Mills/The New York Times

Doug Mills, the New York Times photographer who captured yesterday’s viral image of James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, seated before the Senate Intelligence Committee, is no stranger to the political spotlight. Since joining The Times in 2002, Mr. Mills has photographed presidential administrations — and the spectacles surrounding them — in Washington, aboard Air Force One, and in Afghanistan, among countless other locales. What follows is a lightly edited Q. and A. about his coverage Thursday from Capitol Hill.

Your photograph of Mr. Comey took the internet by storm — especially on Reddit, where it earned more than 60,000 “upvotes.” How did it come together?

I knew it wouldn’t be a contentious or heated hearing — or at least I didn’t expect it to be. Mr. Comey had handed out his testimony the day before, so some of the air was already out of the balloon. And for me, what that meant was: A tight shot showing one of Mr. Comey’s facial expressions wasn’t likely to be the most intriguing picture. (When hearings become heated and contentious, many times the witnesses become angry and their faces show a lot more emotion.)

--snip--

I wasn’t sure how well things would line up — where Mr. Comey would be, or what would be behind him. But, as it turned out, he was perfectly framed by the chairs behind him. Even before I looked at the picture, I thought, “Wow, this is going to be nice.”

Read the story...nice shot Mr. Mills!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: A Photo of James Comey Takes the Internet by Storm
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:09:10 am »

+1

Good use of his monopod.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 12:30:27 pm »

I think it's the only way to shoot the guy. I mean he's over six feet tall and towers over most of the photographers and members of Congress which I believe is the real reason Trump fired him.

Comey made him look small in the press physically and ethically. Yooz fahyood! Hit duh bricks!

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 01:02:07 pm »

Love the shot, but I had a funny reaction when I saw it.

Late in the hearing, the chairman scolds photographers about standing up and threatens to clear the room of photographers.

Sure looks to me like this photo was involved in that particular side play!   ;D

degrub

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 01:12:28 pm »

new meaning to the word "fishbowl"

BrownBear

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 01:27:03 pm »

Looking closer I count 22 photographers. Looking closer still, I see that 9 of the cameras are mounted with a short zoom with a red ring at the front of the barrel.  Interesting statement about lens choice!

donbga

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 03:46:14 pm »

#Lordy!

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 07:26:33 pm »

James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, testified before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Thursday. Credit Doug Mills/The New York Times

Brilliant.  In an earlier incarnation, I spent many working hours — as a broadcast reporter, not a photographer — in House and Senate hearing rooms, including the better part of a lifetime (half a lifetime ago) covering the Senate Watergate committee, to which the Comey hearing has frequently been compared.  Those venues are an almost unbelievable challenge for video and still shooters who want to produce images that will stand out from the pack.  You really need to have your brain in gear to make this kind of picture.  This guy did.

However, I'm not particularly enamored by the failure to fix wide-angle distortion.  I understand that Mills was transmitting JPEGs to the Times, but they could still have been corrected if it wasn't for the paper's overly-rigid (in my opinion) restrictions on image "manipulation."  (The Times editors even refuse to correct keystoning in architectural shots.)

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 02:35:58 am »

A nicely-down image that tells a much broader story.

Many times the photo that tells the best photo shows the context simply by stepping back and putting the rest of the story within the frame. That makes the image unique, stronger and more illustrative than just the photo line-up talking the same head/mug shot, the only difference being the angle of the shot.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Otto Phocus

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 05:34:58 am »

I can't imagine trying to keep your composure and answer difficult questions precisely in that environment. Yikes!
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 11:58:42 am »

Interesting that in the photo of Doug Miller holding his monopod you can see another photographers with a monopod. I think this image by Andrew Harnik of AP might be that guy.

Very close but Miller's shot has a wider view which helps make his shot more iconic IMHO. Although Harnik's image looks to be a bit better color unless you like that punched red look :~) Neither of the posted image had an embedded profile so can't tell if it's a profile issue.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 04:55:38 pm »

What is the photographer using on the left side under the guy with a Canon DSLR and flash trigger? And how is the lighting handled if everyone is constantly popping flashes? 

Rand47

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 07:21:47 pm »

Chilling photo. 

Having been in that chair, albeit on a MUCH smaller scale by orders of magnitude, I don't envy anyone caught in the gears of political partisanship on any side of any issue.  It brings out the worst parts of human nature.  It is the "modern" version of the rack. 

This photo reminds me of images of people trapped in crushed automobiles, from my fire service days. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Peter McLennan

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 11:31:03 am »

A superb example of previs.  I watched with interest before Comey's arrival the two guys with poles as they set up their gear and made test exposures.

Schewe's right, I think.  The wider one tells the story better.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 09:09:06 pm by Peter McLennan »

BAB

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 07:40:07 pm »

More like a fairy-tale than a story!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic
Pages: [1]   Go Up