Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greenland – Land Of Undiscovered Beauty and a new albeit small, LLVJ?  (Read 2762 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com

Hi Kevin and Chris.

With the "Greenland – Land Of Undiscovered Beauty" video that you have just uploaded, yet perhaps without realising it and to my mind at least, you have just created or maybe that should be re-created, a small version of what I think this site used to do best and that is a part of a LuLa Video Journal. OK I know the main reason for this particular video is to advertise your Greenland workshop expeditions and there is nothing wrong with that, but I think this video is much more than that, so I think you need to make this video part of your permanent download catalogue.

Can I also follow on by saying, that I think you really should do more of this type of thing, because this used to be at the core of what this site was really good at and had always been its USP.

And finally, I always thought it was Michael alone who had the presence who kept me captivated within the LLVJ's, but now I realise, it is you Chris and your camera work along with Michael and now Kevin, that is the true force behind the LLVJ's and with Kevin's help as shown on this video, you have managed to re-capture the essence of the LLVJ's and what this site used to be about.

So all I can say is well done Chris and Kevin and I suggest you make many more of this type of video and also that you make them permanently available and downloadable through the video download section.

Dave

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com

Many thanks for your kind words Dave.

The Greenland video is and will continue to be downloadable via the 'Share' icon in the player window. I will also place it in the Library as a standalone piece.

This type of travel video is something of a labour of love, being expensive to make (travel & equipment expenses, music rights) and quite time-consuming to edit. I will naturally continue to make them as time & budget allow.

Chris

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:50:56 am by Chris Sanderson »

TommyWeir

I have to say, I really enjoyed it too.  A nice journal as Dave said.   I'll not say I'll never be able to afford one of the tours, but it's beyond my reach at the moment.   But you gave me the first inkling of what Greenland might offer...

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com

The Greenland video is and will continue to be downloadable via the 'Share' icon in the player window. I will also place it in the Library as a standalone piece.

This type of travel video is something of a labour of love, being expensive to make (travel & equipment expenses, music rights) and quite time-consuming to edit. I will naturally continue to make them as time & budget allow.

Chris

Hi Chris, yes I know it is downloadable as I have already done so thanks, but what I meant and what I believe you are now going to do, is to add it to the 'Video' section of the site permanently. May I suggest a sort of a catch-all folder called something like 'Bits and Bobs' or something to group them under.

The only reason I suggest this, is that after a few days or weeks this type of content rolls off the bottom of the list and even though it can be searched for and found, it might be better to put it into a section that can be more readily stumbled upon such a 'Bits and Bobs' group under the video section. In fact there are quite a few videos that you have both put out over the last year or so, that could also be dropped into there if you think it is a good idea to do so and if you so wish of course.

In fact as I now have your attention Chris, you have obviously got a good eye for composition and seeing things photographically and that is what makes your videos so unique and pleasing for photographers to watch, but have you ever thought of getting in front of the video camera with a stills camera, because I think you would really be rather good, but I suspect that you already know this, so why haven't you given it a go and shown us what you can do?

jng

I had the same feeling after watching this video. This and the old LLVJ pieces are both informative and a delightful vicarious experience for those of us who haven't ventured to some of these far-flung locations. Thanks, Dave, for putting this into words and kudos to Chris for continuing the great work.

John

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com

... have you ever thought of getting in front of the video camera with a stills camera, because I think you would really be rather good, but I suspect that you already know this, so why haven't you given it a go and shown us what you can do?
I do take stills for family & personal use. In fact one of my greatest pleasures is composing and working on still life with my wife, Charlene - a painter. To see the transformation of those photographs into paint on canvas is magical. Our house is richly decorated with Charlene's paintings and Michael's (and other's) photographs.

But in front of a wider L-L audience, I prefer shooting video. For me a story is more effectively told with montage. I have been very lucky to shoot shoulder to shoulder with some wonderful and very accomplished photographers. It feels more natural for me to observe & learn from them with a video camera in hand than a stills camera. Motion is what I have done for close to fifty years.

On one of our many trips to Antarctica, Michael encouraged me to give equal or more attention to shooting stills. The results were ok but the video I shot gave me far more satisfaction - and hopefully to others.

As video capture resolutions & bit depth increase, it's fantastic to be able to take stills post techniques and apply them to video. I was thrilled in the past week to be able to apply three layers of colour correction to some interview footage of Edward Burtynsky (coming soon) and have the 10 bit 4k footage from a GH5 hold up under the manipulation.

Once again, thank you Dave - but I'll stick to what I know best.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:17:17 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber

I want to thank Chris for a great friendship we have shared for many years not to mention the privilege of being in front of his camera many times.  We have always had fun, worked hard and truly share doing the best possible content for LuLa.  Chris and I have been busy as he hints to and we have some good material coming.  We hope to do more domestic travel videos together in the future.  Thanks everyone for the comments and we are listening.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

TommyWeir

Looking forward to that Burtynsky interview...

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com

Thanks everyone for the comments and we are listening.

Well I would also like to thank the both of you and especially for your willingness to listen to what we ask for.

You know the old days from only a few short years ago, where two photographers which would now be Kevin and someone else, go out for a few days shooting and then spend a little time reviewing and comparing their prints, is such a relaxing and pleasurable thing to watch. Most photographers on this site I imagine, are experienced enough not to need all the in-depth discussion about equipment and technique, but we do enjoy as John put it "both the informative and a delightful vicarious experience for those of us who haven't ventured to some of these far-flung locations."

So thanks again for listening and I suppose all we can ask, is that you keep on doing what you are good at doing and then allowing us to enjoy watching it, as much as you enjoyed making it.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up