Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing To Lightroom CC VS Capture One Pro  (Read 6956 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Importing To Lightroom CC VS Capture One Pro
« on: June 09, 2017, 03:57:13 pm »

I switch between Lightroom CC and Capture One Pro. Today I decided to do two different imports. One to Lightroom and the other to C1.
From the same SDXC Card, Lexar 64GB, 633X 95MB/s 698 24MB Raw images shot with Sony A9.
Using Lightroom CC  2015 10.1 took 35 minutes to copy and import and build stander previews.
Now with Capture One Pro 10.1.2 coping and building previews (2560 PX) took just at 10 minutes to complete the entire process.
That is 25 minutes difference in importing. To me that is a huge difference.

In both cases I used the internal card reader of the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphic AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
            Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Images where import to an external Thunderbolt 1.0 Drive.

To me it just seems like Lightroom gets slower to import with every update, where C1 is getting faster.

I have been using Lightroom since version 1.0 (February 2007) coming from Rawshooter.   
If it was not for the Adobe Mobile App features and the export features to SmugMug, 500PX and a few other export plugins with Lightroom I would most likely go C1 full time.

Cheers!

Stu

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Importing To Lightroom CC VS Capture One Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 07:13:24 pm »

I switch between Lightroom CC and Capture One Pro. Today I decided to do two different imports. One to Lightroom and the other to C1.
From the same SDXC Card, Lexar 64GB, 633X 95MB/s 698 24MB Raw images shot with Sony A9.
Using Lightroom CC  2015 10.1 took 35 minutes to copy and import and build stander previews.
Now with Capture One Pro 10.1.2 coping and building previews (2560 PX) took just at 10 minutes to complete the entire process.
That is 25 minutes difference in importing. To me that is a huge difference.

In both cases I used the internal card reader of the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphic AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB
            Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Images where import to an external Thunderbolt 1.0 Drive.

To me it just seems like Lightroom gets slower to import with every update, where C1 is getting faster.

I have been using Lightroom since version 1.0 (February 2007) coming from Rawshooter.   
If it was not for the Adobe Mobile App features and the export features to SmugMug, 500PX and a few other export plugins with Lightroom I would most likely go C1 full time.

Hi Stuart,

I'm a PC person, but I assume that the MacOS also allows monitoring of processes. It might be interesting to see if the difference is in use of CPU processor versus GPU usage. I've also read that Macs can be set to select between available GPUs if there is more than one.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

StuartOnline

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 08:06:43 pm »

Hi Stuart,

I'm a PC person, but I assume that the MacOS also allows monitoring of processes. It might be interesting to see if the difference is in use of CPU processor versus GPU usage. I've also read that Macs can be set to select between available GPUs if there is more than one.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,

What I have noticed is that Lightroom imports all images then goes back and make the previews. Whereas C1 seems to imports and makes previews at the same time.
That maybe one of the reasons C1 is so much faster when it comes to importing.

Just came back from another shoot and improved 232, 24mb Raw images from the Sony A9 and took less then 3 minutes for the entire process with C1.
Have not imported to Lightroom yet.

Didn't see your post until after importing. Mac's do have an Activity Monitor so maybe that will show something.

UPDATE:

Just did an import to Lightroom with the same 232 Raw images and it took right at 11 minutes to complete the task.
Did watch the monitor. As the copy and import was running it was averaging about 28% of the CPU. Now when the stander preview building started the average CPU usage was between 47-53%.

It just amazing me how much faster C1 imports and build previews over Lightroom.

Cheers,

Stu
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:27:28 pm by StuartOnline »

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 08:50:43 am »

Are the previews comparable in size between the two apps? 

Where are the C1 previews written to? 
Regards,
Ron

StuartOnline

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 09:11:32 am »

Are the previews comparable in size between the two apps? 

Where are the C1 previews written to?

Hi Ron,

In both cases the catalog are stored on the internal drive of the MacBook Pro with images on external Thunderbolt drive.

Actually I believe the previews with C1 are larger. Reason I say that I am able to edit images without having the external drive connected that has the images. You do not have to make smart previews like you do with Lightroom. 

AS I mentioned I feel the real slowdown if the fact that Lightroom imports all photos first and then go through the process of building previews. Whereas C1 imports and builds previews at the same time.

Cheers,

Stu

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 10:40:45 am »

Stu,

It sounds like C1 is making better use of threading or multi core CPUs than LR. I know nothing about C1's code base so I can't really hazard a guess.

Hopefully someday Adobe will improve their code base to be more competitive in this regard.
Regards,
Ron

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 03:49:21 pm »

It sounds like C1 is making better use of threading or multi core CPUs than LR.

That's my guess as well. When processing multiple images, the C1 activity monitor shows multiple operations being done simultaneously, and apparently, it is done efficiently. I'd have to guess how Lightroom processes multiple images, sequentially or in parallel.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 10:33:05 pm »

Hi Stuart,

Are you comparing like to like, i.e. same noise reduction settings, same lens profile corrections, etc.? By default LR will apply NR, for example. Does C1 do that?

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 11:39:38 pm »

Actually I believe the previews with C1 are larger. Reason I say that I am able to edit images without having the external drive connected that has the images. You do not have to make smart previews like you do with Lightroom.

The previews aren't necessarily larger in C1..  In C1, the size is settable, whereas in LR the size of smart previews are DNG max ~2500 pixels on the long edge.  I talk about smart previews here, because they basically serve the exact same function.  LR has MANY preview types, whereas C1 has one: 'smart' previews.  I believe in C1 that they could even be DNG's also, but that is just based on a very quick and superficial comparison opening them in Wordpad.  I've actually been 'back-burner' wondering about the format of C1 previews for a while now..  There doesn't seem to be much written about them.

I do wish wish that LR would reduce the number of previews necessary.  They probably came about as the program progressed throughout the years, but IMO they should just stick to the 'smart' variety going forward, similar to what C1 does.  And to make it worse, LR's "standard sized" previews (set to ~1920 long edge, here) are orders of magnitude larger in filesize to the DNG smart previews.  And also, in my experience, it takes much less time to create LR's smart previews than for the 'standard sized' ones.

Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 12:37:18 am »

I've monitored C1 and Lr frequently using Activity monitor, and to me it appears C1 is better at using multiple cores, even virtual ones.  C1 normally maxes out all of the cores, (basically consuming nearly all of the available CPU power), where Lr tends to bounce around a lot, often with several cores not being used at all.

C1 is also much better about rendering 100% views when working on images.  Lr takes a long time to render a large file when moving between images at 100%, C1 is nearly instantaneous.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 10:05:29 pm »

In reading different recent reviews about the AMD Ryzen (I'm a PC guy), when comparing the CPUs to Intel's on different Photoshop benchmarks, it came up that neither Photoshop nor Lightroom make effective use of multi-cores/multi-threading. I actually find that surprising, but there it was with the numbers to prove it. (Essentially, the Ryzen smokes Intel on multi-core/multi-threading, but Intel has stronger single core performance.) I think as others have pointed out, you are seeing the difference between the two in program optimization for multi-cores.

That said, I think both are extremely kludgy for import duties. If I'm importing, I use Photo Mechanic. Have you thought of using a browser program to import? They are faster and more efficient at that task. In the end, do you want every single frame to essentially be converted on import? I don't. I prefer to import, view and edit a shoot in a browsing program and then transferring those to a selects folder which I then import (in my case) into LR. (My average shoot is about 730+GB, about 30,000 frames - that's RAW+JPEG shooting.)  I own C1 as well, and it is faster in many respects, but for fashion, I'm just not enthralled with the skin tones and the inability to map my camera with X-rite Passport. But that's another story.

James R

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 01:53:50 am »

I have to agree, Lr's speed sucks. That and it's handling of Fuji Xtrans files have me moving back to C1Pro (now v10).

hogloff

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 11:08:29 am »

I firstly copy all my images from the cards onto my NAS and then promptly back them up to another drive before anything else. Then I just import into LR building previews along the way. I don't watch the import but walk away and do something else like eat or sleep. When I'm ready to cull and label, the files are already in the application I need them to be. Might be a slower process than other means, but it's simple and I really don't need instantaneous access to my images as once I'll thoroughly review them, there might be less than 10% that I want to work on at that time, others maybe at a later date.

James R

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 04:07:46 pm »

That said, I think both are extremely kludgy for import duties. If I'm importing, I use Photo Mechanic. Have you thought of using a browser program to import? They are faster and more efficient at that task. In the end, do you want every single frame to essentially be converted on import? I don't. I prefer to import, view and edit a shoot in a browsing program and then transferring those to a selects folder which I then import (in my case) into LR. (My average shoot is about 730+GB, about 30,000 frames - that's RAW+JPEG shooting.)  I own C1 as well, and it is faster in many respects, but for fashion, I'm just not enthralled with the skin tones and the inability to map my camera with X-rite Passport. But that's another story.

PM is a great app, but it doesn't put the images into Lr or C1.  For that you must import the files and C1 is faster than Lr at accomplishing the import.  I also find the rendering of images in Lr is slow when using raw files larger that 18 mp. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:47:45 pm by James R »

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 06:19:20 pm »

PM is a great app, but it doesn't put the images into Lr or C1.  For that you must import the files and C1 is faster than Lr at accomplishing the import.  I also find the rendering of images in Lr is slow when using raw files larger that 18 mp.

You are right. Photo Mechanic doesn't put images into LR or C1. But then, for me, I don't want that. I only want to import the images I can use into LR. I don't particularly like the C1 cataloging, so do all that in LR anyway. I don't know about anyone else, but most of my images aren't keepers in my eye. My travel stuff is the only work I ever import all of in LR, mostly because a "large travel shoot" might be a few hundred images. A typical fashion shoot is many tens of thousands...

berndott

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 11:07:59 am »

You are right. Photo Mechanic doesn't put images into LR or C1. But then, for me, I don't want that. I only want to import the images I can use into LR. I don't particularly like the C1 cataloging, so do all that in LR anyway. I don't know about anyone else, but most of my images aren't keepers in my eye. My travel stuff is the only work I ever import all of in LR, mostly because a "large travel shoot" might be a few hundred images. A typical fashion shoot is many tens of thousands...

Hello.
I am aware that this is a REALLY old topic but since both programs have been updated many times it might be interesting for others if I'd share my findings.
I shoot fashion catalogue for a living and produce a lot of files. Sometimes over 3000 a day.
Recently I updated to Capture One 11 and switched over to the Sony A9. Long story short: I have been extremely unhappy with the performance of Capture One, especially when I attempted to create a catalogue from the session I was working with containing roughly 28000 images. It took more than 16(!!!) hours. I attempted the same thing with the latest Lightroom and was done in 45 minutes.

So I began once again testing and comparing C1 to Lightroom. A program I only left behind a couple of years ago when I switched to C1.
And what can I tell you? The latest version of Lightroom (Classic CC that is) is so much faster in the areas that are the most time consuming in my workflow.

I Imported 364 files from the Sony A9, uncompressed RAW files.
Capture One 11 took 4minutes and 40 seconds for an import. With building the previews it took all together 7 minutes and 48 seconds.
Lightroom managed to do this ALL in 3 minutes and 34 seconds.

The export of the same files into JPGs, 50% size and 75% Quality took in C1: 13 minutes and 3 seconds. Lightroom was done after 5 minutes and 42 seconds.

All these tests were done on a Macbook Pro 15 inch with Retina screen form 2016, using the internal card reader and the internal SSD.

I do not know what Phase One has done but they clearly seem to have dropped the ball there.

I'd love to hear what other people have found.
Pages: [1]   Go Up