Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cinema Matte box and filters for landscape work.  (Read 1686 times)

Analogue_Rob

• Rob Youngson Photography
Cinema Matte box and filters for landscape work.
« on: June 09, 2017, 01:24:38 pm »

Is anybody using a cinema style mattebox with dual rotating filter holders for their stills work? I use both digital and analogue and through my work have access to cinema equipment. The filters are excellent quality, the matte box and rails though not small would allow me to use any of my camera bodies easily. I'm envisaging a future setup with a medium format panoramic film camera and a mattebox on rails for ridgidigty. Just wondered if there is an obvious reason other than bulk and cost that more people don't do this?

Thanks

Rob

Attached an image to illustrate for clarity.
Rob Youngson - Unit Stills Photographer by Day, Analogue Photographer by Night www.robyoungsonphotography.com - Instagram/Twitter - @unitstillsrob

Chris D

Re: Cinema Matte box and filters for landscape work.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 09:13:00 am »

I use the genus tech wide box because it's light enough to screw onto lenses. I spent some time looking for one that could be used on still lenses without rails, and there aren't many options. Most are way too heavy. So far I like it much better than the lee system I was previously using - it's nice to not have to worry about always flagging the camera when shooting landscapes. I too wonder why there aren't any still specific options for matte boxes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianrybolt

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:31:15 am »

I use the genus tech wide box because it's light enough to screw onto lenses. I spent some time looking for one that could be used on still lenses without rails, and there aren't many options. Most are way too heavy. So far I like it much better than the lee system I was previously using - it's nice to not have to worry about always flagging the camera when shooting landscapes.[I too wonder why there aren't any still specific options for matte boxes...]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe its because lens coating technology has improved immensely over the last several years?

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:33:52 pm »

Lee did have a bellows-type hood once - I have seen it in the used kit cabinet at the local camera shop
Pages: [1]   Go Up