Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X1D w/45mm vs RX1RII  (Read 3724 times)

TomChik

X1D w/45mm vs RX1RII
« on: June 08, 2017, 01:03:18 pm »

Ok, so after great help received on previous post, I am closer to a digital decision...

Now I am between these two. I've tried Hasselblad, very slow if compared to Sony, long wait for the on and ready to shoot position, very nice file quality.

I shoot mainly people. I make sometimes big prints. Sony will save 7k most likely. Looking at a comparison btw prints from A7RII and X1D on The Camera Store TV, it looked like a close call (I wonder, has RX1RII the A7RII same sensor?).

Any thoughts will be so much appreciated,
thank you

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
Re: X1D w/45mm vs RX1RII
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 02:31:55 pm »

I don't know what "The Camera Store TV" is, but if you're looking at JPGs on a monitor you're not getting a true comparison. If your end product is a print, then you should download a couple TIFs from each camera and then print them in your normal procedure.

pschefz

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:47:11 pm »

the RX1RII has the same sensor as the A7RII...the fixed 35mm lens seems to be optimized to work with the sensor, so in the best of all circumstances you might get a better file then possible with the A7RII...but you are splitting hairs....i used to have a RX1RII....absolutely loved it....the sync speed was definitely a reason to get it to have along my sony kit, but i ended up selling it to get another A7RII body....mostly because in a commercial setting it is easier to work with all the same bodies and HSS works so well that i mostly used the A7RII anyway....
the size, speed, ease of use is unheard of....its crazy....for me, almost too small....i ended up using the A7RII with the voigtlander 40 1.4 for the same kind of shooting (my all around snapshot camera)
it would beat the X1D in pretty much every single regard...other then that tiny little extra IQ which will probably not be noticeable in a lot of shots and if we are talking about kids and running around, i would worry more about how many shots will be missed with the X1D then the extra 3% you might be able to pull out of a shadow somewhere....
the RX1RII shoots fast and easy, AF is waaaaay better then X1D but not quite as good as A7RII....i even had an underwater cover for it....lots of fun, it is just so small and convenient...
schefz.com
artloch.com

TomChik

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:08:29 pm »

Thanks guys for your replies. I love RX1RII, a bit scared of a possible very soon announcement of RX1RIII, it was a buzz about it since few months now... do you think it will be out anytime soon? thank you

pschefz

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 03:48:05 pm »

if a RX1RIII is coming out it will probably share the sensor with the A7RIII (or A9R?) and most likely not come out before that camera....and since the last work on that (according to sonyrumors) is that the announcement is at least 3-4 months away, i would not expect to see a RX1RIII before late 2018....but what do i know....
as great as the RX1RII is, i am not sure sony will make another model....it came out, was widely made fun of, reviews weren't that great either and then they raised the price, which put it above the A7RII....and the A7RII with the excellent 35 2.8 is still the better deal and probably all in all the better camera and much more versatile.....
the RX1RII is a great niche model and if i had unlimited funds i would own it along with the X1D/45 combo
schefz.com
artloch.com

HBIEVP

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 02:06:47 pm »

I don't know what "The Camera Store TV" is, but if you're looking at JPGs on a monitor you're not getting a true comparison. If your end product is a print, then you should download a couple TIFs from each camera and then print them in your normal procedure.

pschefz,

I like others agree that you should acquire Raw or at least some TIF files from both and print to make a true image quality comparison. In fact, I contend, if better image quality (not functionality) is not what you're seeking, it's going to be hard to  justifying moving up to any medium format -- IQ "is" the holy grail of the larger formats. If I may shamelessly entice you, our next firmware update will reduce camera power up by 4 seconds 🙂.

Thanks,

Eric P.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 05:56:54 pm »

Now I am between these two. I've tried Hasselblad, very slow if compared to Sony, long wait for the on and ready to shoot position, very nice file quality.

I shoot mainly people. I make sometimes big prints. Sony will save 7k most likely. Looking at a comparison btw prints from A7RII and X1D on The Camera Store TV, it looked like a close call (I wonder, has RX1RII the A7RII same sensor?).

The problem with the RX1RII is IMHO the lens that is good but not great, I would also go with the a7rII instead.

I believe that the gap in image quality with the X1D is larger than the mp gap may lead one to expect, but then usability isn't at the same level. It really depends on your shooting style.

For a generic camera, the Sony wins hands down, for crafted images well thought out the hasselblad is the better tool by a significant margin.

Cheers,
Bernard

GummiL

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 09:32:18 am »

I shoot mainly people.

In this case: why you are thinking about 35mm lens? Are you shooting portraits with this and not 50/75/90 mm?

In the case if I would think about a Sony A7R II... With that you would have the option for different lenses.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 01:11:54 pm »

Hi,

I would guess it would be a hard call. The X1D has an interchangeable lens while the RX1RII has a fixed lens. For me, an interchangeable lens always wins - except for portability. High quality lenses for the A7rII are big.

Hasselblad may have decided to keep the system small.

DPReview has compared all the candidates, and found that the image quality advantage of the X1D was a small one. Comparing prints, there will always be processing differences. Just to mention, DNG files describe some aspects of the systems and DNG description of the Hasselblad X1D differs a lot from the GFX description. So, a program like Lightroom may apply much more sharpening to say a GFX image than to a X1D image. Those things are hidden from users.

I don't pretend having experience with the X1D, my MFD experience is based on a P45+ back (39 MP) and Sony Alpha 99 (24 MP). With small print sizes up to A2 (16" x 23") I could not really observe a meaningful difference between the 24 MP Alpha 99 and the 39 MP P45+ with Hasselblad/Zeiss lenses. When moving up to the 42MP A7rII I did not really make that kind of comparisons. The A7rII is the better performer in all tests I have made.

With the X1D and the Fuji GFX we now have cameras that are optimised for the 44x33mm sensor. My impression is that Hasselblad makes compact lenses while Fuji is more aggressive. My friend Jim Kasson reports very good results from the Fuji system, while Diglloyd is not very happy with the Fuji. It could be that Diglloyd gets all bad lenses and Jim Kasson gets the good ones. That may depend on packaging and shipping. Anyway, it seems that the GFX lenses can be very good. On the other hand, I guess that Diglloyd is not very happy with the GFX-lenses.

Both the X1D and the GFX are new systems, possibly a bit rushed to the market.

Personally, I am luke warm about the RX1RII. I think it is overpriced and not flexible enough. The A7rII is fine picture maker, having a very good sensor, good AF and a decent choice of lenses especially considering third party options.

Best regards
Erik

Ok, so after great help received on previous post, I am closer to a digital decision...

Any thoughts will be so much appreciated,
thank you
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up