Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone raised this yet?  (Read 4864 times)

pearlstreet

Re: Anyone raised this yet?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 02:39:33 pm »

If you want incredible landscapes you don't go to Minor White or any photographer. You go to painters like Bierstadt. http://americanart.si.edu/images/1977/1977.107.1_2a.jpg

Russ, you have a way of asserting your opinion and taste as if it's some absolute truth. That's the opposite of what art is about. I hear my bell ringing (to paraphrase Ken Kesey) when I look at Minor White's landscapes. If Bierstadt does it for you, great! I think his work is beautiful, but I find Minor White's work to be equally inspiring.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 03:32:48 pm »

Hi Sharon,

Looking at your webs I can understand why you're a Minor White fan. Minor did some interesting stuff, but it's static. Most of what he shot was just sitting there. When something's just sitting there you have time to paint it in a way that emphasizes what's important about it, even distorting it to make the point, which is what Bierstadt and his contemporary landscape painters did. When you shoot it with a camera it may be interesting, but it's still just sitting there. What the camera's for is the kind of thing HCB and Robert Frank did: human motion, human artifacts; telling us about ourselves, not just about the scenery around us.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

pearlstreet

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 04:22:46 pm »

To you that is true but it is not to me...

pearlstreet

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 04:30:05 pm »

I think it's kind of sad that on a site called Luminous Landscape, you so easily dismiss landscape photography. I don't think any painter could top Adam's Moonrise and while Minor White didn't create the telephone pole in his Two Barns and a Shadow, he did have the eye and talent to see it and know what to include and what to exclude. But because they don't appeal to you, you dismiss them. I prefer Vivian Meyer's and Gordon Park's street photography and am blown away by much of what Sally Mann does but I wouldn't presume to dictate that preference to others. 

Telecaster

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2017, 05:12:58 pm »

Some of us just don't have the ability to distinguish between subjective experience and measurable reality. "I see it and feel it thusly, so it must be objectively true."

If you think about it, this explains a lotta thingsā€¦  :)

-Dave-
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up