Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SC P5000 Review  (Read 13034 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson SC P5000 Review
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 07:47:28 pm »

Phil,  that's interesting about the timing of ink consumption - I was of the view that the inks are usable AT LEAST to their expiry date which is generally much longer than six months from when they are purchased, assuming the retailer is selling current stock. Is it that the expiry date only applies to unopened cartridges and that once installed they should be used within 6 months? And if so, what should one expect to happen if they used for say a year instead?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Farmer

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 10:24:33 pm »

It's always been advised that 6 months from time of opening is the best use period.  I've personally used inks up to 12 months without issue, but it depends on environment and other factors, of course.  I wouldn't rely on inks that have been opened for longer than 12 months, even though I know of people who have used them without issue.

This is only from the opening/first use.  When stored, unopened, they have long expiry dates and in practice I've used carts that were 4 or more years past their due date when first opened without issue.
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 07:38:26 am »

OK thanks Phil, all that is consistent with my understanding as well. Just to be doubly careful in these situations, I used to gently shake them periodically.

Majohnson

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 08:39:28 am »

Thank you for such in depth review.

I just purchased the P5070 (Australia naming) and got it deliver yesterday.

One question you may be able to help with in the absence of a response thus far from Canson and Ilford.

Can I use paper manufacturer ICC profiles for the P7000 printer for the P5000 as they currently do not have a link for the Epson P5000 yet on their websites. Both printers use the same inks.

Regards
Mark

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 09:01:36 am »

One question you may be able to help with in the absence of a response thus far from Canson and Ilford.

Can I use paper manufacturer ICC profiles for the P7000 printer for the P5000 as they currently do not have a link for the Epson P5000 yet on their websites. Both printers use the same inks.

Regards
Mark

I see no harm trying with a photo whose outcome you can easily evaluate based on prior experience. That said, factors other than ink can justify bespoke profiles, so give it a try and see what happens. Worst comes to worst you may need a custom profile.

mearussi

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 10:01:14 am »

Regards
Mark

You might get close, but don't expect perfection. Each machine is just different enough to always benefit from a custom profile. But as custom profiles cost in the $100 range just have them made for the papers you use the most. Also in the U.S. some paper companies, like Breathing Color and Hahnemuhle, will make custom profiles for your machine for free. You might see if anyone in Australia will do the same for you.

Majohnson

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 06:12:19 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to have a fun and busy weekend :-)

hbauliah

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 08:52:22 pm »

Could somebody please tell me what's PK Paper is? I see 19 mention of PK paper and not even one expanded version of PK.
P.S I am new to this website

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 09:00:26 pm »

Sorry - PK is Photo Black and MK is Matte Black. PK paper is paper printed with Photo Black Ink and MK paper is paper printed with Matte Black ink.

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 03:08:45 pm »

Thanks for all your support, Mark.

If this issue was addressed, I missed it.  While switching MK/PK is a bother (time+cost), it's particularly bad when it's a mistake.  My 3880 doesn't ask "Are you sure you want to switch?" to allow cancellation.  Does the P5000?  I see there's an "auto black ink change" option, but I don't know what it does.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 03:18:21 pm »

No, it doesn't check whether you really want to switch. The "auto switch" feature means that the printer reads the Epson Media Type selected in the driver and automatically selects the flavour of Black depending on the Media Type. This does avoid mistakes to the extent there is no user intervention apart from selecting the Media Type.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:42:24 pm by Mark D Segal »

yann.bouckaert@pandora.be

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 04:55:02 pm »

You might get close, but don't expect perfection. Each machine is just different enough to always benefit from a custom profile. But as custom profiles cost in the $100 range just have them made for the papers you use the most. Also in the U.S. some paper companies, like Breathing Color and Hahnemuhle, will make custom profiles for your machine for free. You might see if anyone in Australia will do the same for you.

Hi, my experience with the P5000, P7000 and P9000 has been mostly in combination with the EFI Fiery XF rip for contract proofing purposes. I have witnessed that profiles made for any of these printers can safely be used for the others and yield very accurate results. I haven't tested this with the Epson RGB driver, but I believe the results will be similar.

Regards,
Yann

1erCru

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 06:50:30 pm »

How is the paper fed through the printer? Does the paper come in contact with the dreaded pinwheels?

Thanks for the detailed review !

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 08:29:02 pm »

How is the paper fed through the printer? Does the paper come in contact with the dreaded pinwheels?

Thanks for the detailed review !

You are welcome.

I've made several hundred prints with this printer using all kinds of papers over the past three months and have seen zero pinwheel markings on any of the sheets.

george100

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 06:34:44 pm »

Just wondering if there have been any new updates on the P5000 since the last entry?  If not here where else can I look for any of your updates on this printer??  Thx.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 07:11:20 pm »

I haven't done any updates anywhere.

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2018, 03:13:06 pm »

Mark: I think I read somewhere (though I now can't find it) that the P5000 remains your primary printer.  If that's true, since it's been well over a year since your terrific initial review, would you be willing to post some observations from extended use?  Have the improvements over the 4900 held true?  Cleaning frequency?  Day-to-day ease of use or frustrations?

Any other P5000 users care to share extended-use lessons learned?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2018, 06:08:59 pm »

Mark: I think I read somewhere (though I now can't find it) that the P5000 remains your primary printer.  If that's true, since it's been well over a year since your terrific initial review, would you be willing to post some observations from extended use?  Have the improvements over the 4900 held true?  Cleaning frequency?  Day-to-day ease of use or frustrations?

Any other P5000 users care to share extended-use lessons learned?

Hi Mark, yes just now it is my only printer and no regrets. With high humidity (40% or more) and usage several times a week it hardly clogs. With lower humidity and less frequent use one channel or another will need moderate cleaning on start-up, which uses little ink and clear-up time is quite quick. It's not maintenance free (no printer is), but it's a definite improvement over the 4900 so far, and there is nothing in that carriage width that has the combination of feed features and gamut volume; with good profiles accuracy is very satisfactory, resolution is fine and operating speed even unidirectional is good. It's also somewhat quieter than the 4900, but next time round I wouldn't mind if they were to come up with something quieter still.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up