Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Histogram on X-T2 Not Trustworthy  (Read 2038 times)

brianrybolt

Histogram on X-T2 Not Trustworthy
« on: June 06, 2017, 01:28:58 pm »

I am having trouble getting the correct exposure with my X-T2.  I am using the histogram to judge my exposures but quite a few are overexposed.  I have always stopped short from the right edge of the histogram with my X-T1 and previous digital cameras and my exposures were fine.

When I view the histogram on the camera’s LCD, the highlight area is completely up agains the right hand side whereas in the camera the highlight area is just to the left of the right hand side.

Have others experienced this?  I find it a real pain - I just don’t trust the histogram.  Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,  Brian

rdonson

Re: Histogram on X-T2 Not Trustworthy
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:04:50 pm »

Are you saying that the histogram looks different in the EVF than it does on the LCD?
Regards,
Ron

scyth

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:08:11 pm »

I am having trouble getting the correct exposure with my X-T2.  I am using the histogram to judge my exposures but quite a few are overexposed.  I have always stopped short from the right edge of the histogram with my X-T1 and previous digital cameras and my exposures were fine.

When I view the histogram on the camera’s LCD, the highlight area is completely up agains the right hand side whereas in the camera the highlight area is just to the left of the right hand side.

Have others experienced this?  I find it a real pain - I just don’t trust the histogram.  Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,  Brian

1) does Fuji provide blinkies/zebra in frame like Sony or Olympus ? then OOC JPG can be possibly tuned to show clipping in raw in place in frame where it happens

2) a mandatory question - you do use rawdigger or frv to check for clipping in raw ? or converter like RPP or rawtherapee that can be set to show the clipping in raw ?

brianrybolt

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 06:03:08 pm »

Are you saying that the histogram looks different in the EVF than it does on the LCD?

Yes, I am saying that BUT the difference is only seen when I review the image after I take the shot.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 06:44:23 pm »

How annoying. The camera can be set up to show blinkies on the screen, but it really defeats the purpose of an EVF, in that you should be able to get the correct exposure just using the viewfinder and rarely "chimp".
I haven't had an issue with the histograms not matching, I'd have to get the camera out to play with the settings to see if I could reproduce the effect you describe.
I've thrown out the whole ETTR with the X-T2. I still have the histogram showing in the viewfinder, but I look for detail in the highlights and judge my exposure based on what I see there. Shadow recovery works just fine in post on the whole.
Just off the top of my head, you could try changing the metering mode and play with the picture effect off/on.
David

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 08:58:00 pm »

Good points, David.

I find myself using either "multi" or "spot" metering for my photos. 

As you say, I think the X-T2 has plenty of headroom in the RAW to bring back a lot of shadows and highlights.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up