Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affinity Photo for iPad  (Read 10551 times)

Lundberg02

Re: Affinity Photo for iPad
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 11:57:46 pm »

You get the Camera Card adapter and a 128GB SD. I have the 9.7 and the adapter and the card. I also dl the Affinity yesterday and have not looked at it yet. The 13" apparently remedies the deficiencies between the 12.9 and the 9.7 Pros, so good. The gamut of the Pros is the P3 which is close enough to Adobe98. They claim it's calibrated. I might be able to check that with my i1 but I don't believe you can insert a profile. Wish there was a Krita and/or Rebelle for iOS. iOS 11 isn't really a thriller, there might be some sort of file system access but Apple refuses to allow anything useful like the jailbreak Cydia things such as Folder Enhancer, MultiIconMover, and others, because they access their precious file system and OS. I loved my jailbreak 1st gen iPad until the jailbreak bricked it and I had to do a very painful recovery. Don't think I'll risk it with my new 9.7. I don't see any real  advantage of the 10.5 if iOS 11 is better than 10.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:33:46 pm by Lundberg02 »

TommyWeir

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 09:03:24 am »

Yes, we use the USB card reader,  my daughter uses the family's iPad 4 and it works much as you might expect.  The one downside is the need to have a charged iPad when importing a lot of images, the lightning port is taken up...

The P3 gamut is wider than the standard sRGB associated with most displays, not the same coverage as Adobe RGB, it covers more red/yellow and Adobe RGB covers more blue/green, but it's practically nearly as wide a gamut.   Still for printing, I'd prefer a calibrated Adobe RGB display.   But really I'd be happier with either of them over my current two (very nice but sRGB) NEC monitors. 
Rec. 2020 will hopefully put some form of an end to all this when it arrives down at user level...

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 03:53:49 pm »

Yes, we use the USB card reader,  my daughter uses the family's iPad 4 and it works much as you might expect.  The one downside is the need to have a charged iPad when importing a lot of images, the lightning port is taken up...

The P3 gamut is wider than the standard sRGB associated with most displays, not the same coverage as Adobe RGB, it covers more red/yellow and Adobe RGB covers more blue/green, but it's practically nearly as wide a gamut.   Still for printing, I'd prefer a calibrated Adobe RGB display.   But really I'd be happier with either of them over my current two (very nice but sRGB) NEC monitors. 
Rec. 2020 will hopefully put some form of an end to all this when it arrives down at user level...

Is there an USB adapter that could be used to read and write files on an external USB drive?

TommyWeir

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 06:22:28 am »

It's very limited.  What the Macworld article lists also hold true for larger drives...
http://www.macworld.com/article/2103582/using-a-flash-drive-with-an-ipad.html

I would look at a drive with wifi capabilities like the WD Passport Wireless.  WD have an app for the iPad that lets you load and save back out files.
https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html

Or use a cloud service, Dropbox or similar.

Telecaster

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2017, 04:43:18 pm »

iOS most certainly has a file system.  :)  But it's been mostly hidden prior to iOS 11. For photo management I'm not sure the more detailed FS view/access makes any meaningful difference, other than maybe being able to see (and get at) the separate the RAW and JPEG files when you import a RAW+JPEG photo.

Must check out Affinity since Photogene, my fav iPad editor up 'til now, is getting crankier with each iOS update. (Photogene's developer has apparently abandoned it.)

-Dave-

Lundberg02

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 07:36:13 pm »

Look into the LaCie Fuel ext HD for iPad.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 02:06:51 pm »

What would be the most practical size of internal storage in the new ipad pro? (256 or 512GB)
Can Affinity take advantage of all available memory (i.e. for layers, history, etc.)?

Telecaster

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 04:23:19 pm »

I expect I'll replace my 3-year-old Air 2 with a 10.5" Pro in a few months. I always opt for the maximum available storage, not so much for photos (I do quite a bit of photo editing on the iPad but it's not my main storage device) as for music (purchased, downloaded and created). The new Pros have 4 gigs of RAM, and I'd be surprised if Affinity doesn't use as much of it as the OS allows.

-Dave-

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 05:06:49 pm »

Yes, 4GB RAM is a good thing on the iPad Pro, but my question was related to the other storage (64GB, 256 or 512GB).
Does Affinity and other graphics programs utilize that storage for certain tasks - i.e. caching, history, layers?
For example, Photoshop will take advantage of all available RAM, and SSD and other disk drives (if you configure them as scratch disks).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:51:53 pm by LesPalenik »

Telecaster

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 04:51:23 pm »

I did note that I always opt for the maximum amount of storage offered (~512GB in this case). At least one of my current iOS photo apps uses SSD caching, and I'd bet Affinity does too given its feature set. I've got Affinity now…just gotta fire it up and explore!

-Dave-

Peter McLennan

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 03:47:14 pm »

A couple of reviews.  First, Affinity Photo on the iPad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL2Dl0BXdWQ

Second a comparison between the new and old iPad Pro versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJsD1Tp4xg

I have about ten hours on my new iPad Pro 12.9 and I must say it's excellent. The new processor really shows its colours. The screen/pen responsiveness is even better than the previous version.

I'm running both Affinity Photo and Procreate on the new tablet and I love both apps.  AP looks to be very full featured, but it's not going to win me off PSCC, my 27" NEC and my Core i7 desktop.  Image I/O on iPad is still going to be a problem until iOS 11 comes out. 

Procreate is an extraordinary value if you want to sketch and paint.

For both programs, the Apple Pencil is a must-have.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 05:34:06 pm »

It all sounds great, but I still have the problem how could I sort or edit more images on an iPad. I know the 10x128GB SD cards certainly don't fit.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Peter McLennan

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 08:26:37 pm »

Apple seems to have recently broken one of the best ways to get data onto an iPad.  The Lightning/SD Card reader no longer works with the latest iOS update.

https://www.apple.com/shop/reviews/MJYT2AM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

Telecaster

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 07:30:58 pm »

Import from SD card works normally on my iPad, running iOS 10.3.2 (the current released version). Just checked to be sure (attached pic). If you're using an iOS 11 beta then, of course, all bets are off.

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 07:47:01 pm »

It all sounds great, but I still have the problem how could I sort or edit more images on an iPad. I know the 10x128GB SD cards certainly don't fit.

The long-term solution lies in software that can work with a distributed storage scheme. Then I can keep files in iCloud & Adobe's & Amazon's & whoever's clouds and also my own WiFi storage gizmos and wherever else image data can be stored…and then access it via whatever devices I want to import from, export to or edit with. We'll see how that works out…

-Dave-

Peter McLennan

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 10:08:47 pm »

Import from SD card works normally on my iPad, running iOS 10.3.2 (the current released version). Just checked to be sure (attached pic). If you're using an iOS 11 beta then, of course, all bets are off.
-Dave-

Good news, Dave.  I don't have the SD card reader. Researching it, I discovered that it didn't work since the latest update. You've proven the Internet wrong.  :)

Telecaster

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2017, 05:26:46 pm »

I've been playing with Affinity on my iPad (2014 Air 2) over the past few days. Very impressed! And I've only scratched its surface. Way beyond any previous iOS photo app I've used. A couple minor bugs have popped up so far but nothing serious. It does a nice RAW conversion job on Leica M8.2 files. (I'm avoiding the higher-res stuff 'til iOS 11 and an iPad upgrade.)

-Dave-

Telecaster

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 02:41:18 pm »

Affinity handles Panasonic GX8 RAWs nicely as well. Oddly, though, it appears to null out the EXIF ISO entry in JPEGs it creates from GX8 files. I took the 1st attached pic at ISO 6400. It interprets my M8.2's custom IR white balance properly too: 2nd (IR test) pic taken handheld at ISO 640 and pretty much SOOC.

And I like that the app defaults to an overall gentle touch re. noise.

-Dave-
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up