Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Affinity Photo for iPad  (Read 10553 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Affinity Photo for iPad
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:06:55 am »

Serif has released a version of Affinity Photo for the ipad. They say it has the same back end as the desktop version and is optimized for the newer ipads The ipad air2 is the only Apple product I use on occasion, nice to have a really full featured program for the device. It is available at a reduced price for a short time.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Affinity Photo for iPad
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:39:48 am »

Serif has released a version of Affinity Photo for the ipad. They say it has the same back end as the desktop version and is optimized for the newer ipads The ipad air2 is the only Apple product I use on occasion, nice to have a really full featured program for the device. It is available at a reduced price for a short time.

I was a bit surprised to see that announcement, if it indeed has the same huge functionality as the laptop/desktop (MacOS/Windows) version. But good news anyway, even if it supports a subset of all the functionality (e.g. due to memory limitations). For myself, an Android version would be preferred. We'll see.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 12:07:12 pm »

From what I could see it has most everything. Even pano generation, stacking, layers, raw conversion. I only downloaded it last night so have not played with it extensively. It also makes use of cloud storage. I too would prefer and android version, I would update my old tablet to something more modern. As much as I hate to admit it the ipad is pretty good with editing phone photos. There just is not the variety of effects apps available for Android, wish that would change.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 12:13:33 pm »

From what I could see it has most everything. Even pano generation, stacking, layers, raw conversion. I only downloaded it last night so have not played with it extensively. It also makes use of cloud storage. I too would prefer and android version, I would update my old tablet to something more modern. As much as I hate to admit it the ipad is pretty good with editing phone photos. There just is not the variety of effects apps available for Android, wish that would change.

Another impressive achievement by the folks at Serif.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 01:18:36 pm »

Another impressive achievement by the folks at Serif.

Cheers,
Bart

Indeed.  Serif's commitment to the iPad and Apple's unprecedented promise of a file system in iOS 11 prompted me to place an order for a 13" iPad Pro yesterday. For a Windows user since the early 90s, this is quite a leap of faith.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 05:57:54 pm »

Indeed.  Serif's commitment to the iPad and Apple's unprecedented promise of a file system in iOS 11 prompted me to place an order for a 13" iPad Pro yesterday. For a Windows user since the early 90s, this is quite a leap of faith.
I'm exactly in the same situation and sentiment, but still trying to decide between the 12.9" and the new 10.5" ipad Pro.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 07:50:33 pm »

I'm exactly in the same situation and sentiment, but still trying to decide between the 12.9" and the new 10.5" ipad Pro.

Les, I've used a 10" Samsung for the last two years.  My wife has the larger version and I've used it frequently. Get the larger version.  Especially for photo editing, you need all the screen space you can get.  Precise pointing with your finger is much easier with the larger screen.

The only downside is weight.  The larger version weighs 1.5lbs.  It's not difficult to hold, especially if it's in a cover of some kind, but holding it with one hand and using the interface with the other (while standing, for example) can get tiring.  Other than that, it's a wonderful instrument.  The pen action is nothing short of magical. By all means, get the pen.

The larger-version screen is nearly exactly the same size as a standard magazine page.  Clever, them Apple people.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 11:35:52 pm »

Thanks, Peter

I'll make a visit to the Apple Store and compare both tablets. I was thinking before about the larger size, but if the 10.5" ipad Pro is more advanced, that could compensate for the lost real estate. Yes, the Pencil is the main attraction.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 12:51:54 am »

Thanks, Peter

I'll make a visit to the Apple Store and compare both tablets. I was thinking before about the larger size, but if the 10.5" ipad Pro is more advanced, that could compensate for the lost real estate. Yes, the Pencil is the main attraction.

My understanding is that the new 13" and 10.5" have more or less identical technology. Same processor, same 120Hz screen refresh, same version of Metal, etc.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 01:07:35 am »

Thanks again, Peter

I wasn't aware that Apple refreshed also the 12.9" model. As you say, the latest models in both sizes have the same technical specs (of course, except screen size and weight).

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 05:18:26 pm »

The big question for me is how do you use them ? Where do you store your images ?!? The iPad has no real space. Would I need to import them onto the iPad and than back to a harddrive ? Does that even remotely work ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 05:47:18 pm »

The big question for me is how do you use them ? Where do you store your images ?!? The iPad has no real space. Would I need to import them onto the iPad and than back to a harddrive ? Does that even remotely work ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

This is the limiting factor. I, too, would like to hear of how serious users get around the space issue before committing. I'm using a 64gb Air 2 and am down to my last 5gb (and actively use almost everything on my iPad and have iCloud for photos).
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 09:42:04 pm »

Storage space will be an issue, even with 256GB of drive space. The cloud offers alternatives, but with speed issues and ongoing costs.

I don't see the iPad as a dedicated work machine or a long term storage device, rather as a media consumption tool and a means of operating on images away from a desktop powerhouse.

Also, the pen/touch interface is much more facile than a mouse or even a (Wacom) tablet/pen combination for experimentation. I'm very much looking forward to playing with Affinity Photo and the Topaz plugins with the pen. I'd really like to see a version of Painter...

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 10:41:56 pm »

How about using Seagate Personal Cloud hard drive or Western Digital My Cloud? Or Western Digital My Passport Wireless? Or some other disk that could be attached also to any PC and backed up occasionally to another hard drive. In terms of capacity they can go to several TB.
Would they work with the new ipad Pro?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/best-external-storage-for-iphone-ipad-2017-3579792/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:19:16 pm by LesPalenik »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 11:24:19 am »

Thanks, Les.  There are several interesting alternatives on that site.  Those devices, plus the upcoming file system on iOS 11, promise much better connectivity between the two platforms.

If iOS can communicate with a dedicated hard drive via WiFi, one really has to wonder why it can't communicate with a Windows network the same way.  Perhaps someone will find a way.  It's the iOS lack of file system access that has been the problem up to now.

I just this morning got shipment notification for my new Big iPad Pro.  :)  As a Windows user from way back, I never thought I'd say such a thing.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 11:25:32 am »

I just use the ipad for editing phone images, I use a combination of iCloud and Dropbox and store the files there. If you have a fast wireless it is pretty good. My ipad air2 is 128gb but I don't store photos on it per se, just temporary images or partially finished images. Time is a relative factor and when I am doing things on the ipad I expect it to take longer, I sit back and enjoy life instead of wondering why it takes a minute or more to load things. I sip some drink and think about how I want the images to look and think of other ideas. So the speed is not the issue, the final image is the quest. I find it is a lot less stressful this way not being in a big rush. Same with my desktop I do not worry about instant gratification. Life is too short.... :-)

Alan

P.S. The apple ios makes it hard to use a portable drive with the ipad, I hope that improves with a real file system for ios. I am not holding my breath. The Sandisk solution for external usb is pointless.
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Peter McLennan

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 11:32:39 am »

Same with my desktop I do not worry about instant gratification. Life is too short.... :-)

I agree, Alan.  I'm looking forward to image editing at leisure, rather than at my desktop. I have no worries about time wasted shuttling files from the cloud and back, just the workload of keeping track of the versioning.

The Sandisk solution for external usb is pointless.

Because the current version of iOS has no file system?

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 12:49:06 pm »

I bought Affinty Pro for my iPad Air 2.  Its pretty amazing what it can do.

As most of you have brought up file sizes and storage are currently a bugaboo for the iPad. iCloud can work but not without some limitations.

I still use Lightroom Mobile on my iPad for a number of things.  Mostly syncing it from my Lightroom desktop gives me photos that I can sort through, rate, do minor editing on, etc.

I don't see the iPad as a serious editing environment though because of screen color calibration and brightness. Do any of you calibrate your iPads? 
Regards,
Ron

Peter McLennan

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 01:07:44 pm »

Some interesting iPad screen colour info here.
http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_Pro9_ShootOut_1.htm

Apple touts the new iPads as being capable of displaying the new HDR gamut available on high end TVs.  No idea what that means to us.

pearlstreet

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 05:28:48 pm »

Do any of you use the USB adapter on your iPad. I'd love to be able to upload photos using a USB card reader.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up